2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

People have been discussing the panels all weekend so they’ve surely brought some revenue.

I’m disappointed McLaren seems to have stalled out after a few really strong development years. I’m sure Lando feels the same. I would be gunning for Checo or Carlos or Lewis if I were him. He would make an excellent replacement for when Lewis retires.

So Sky sports now does the coverage for F1 TV? Was pretty disappointed and put off when it wasn’t Jolyn Palmer and company doing the qually broadcast. Hopefully they do the race coverage.

F1 tv you can change what broadcast you listen to. Aston was about .3 off the redbull long run. If Ferrari keeps being Ferrari. The Aston and both mercs jump them at the finish line.

Lando will find a fast ride if/when any of these guys move on.

3 Likes

If anyone has Haas end plate getting blown off on their bingo card you’re in luck.

What an absolute disaster for Mclaren and Ferrari.

I’m not kidding I called Verstappen, Perez, Alonso yesterday with 1 Ferrari DNF.

If it finishes like this I’m going to have to go out and put it all on black.

1 Like

I’m just hoping aston martin have some really fancy developments in the pipeline or this will be a Max show.

Mostly uneventful race. The mercs are probably 4th best car right now. Aston has pace. We will see how it translates at other tracks. Ferrari, well is anyone really surprised. Williams seems to have made big gains. And haas with the single lap pace then nothing.

I think what bugs me the most is he doesn’t even have to race Sergio.

max is bar none the most talented driver to ever press the gas pedal in any automobile in history. Senna is the only near rival as far as raw talent goes. He demonstrates a quality that is almost solely seen in individuals on the spectrum to have such an addiction and dedication to perfect whatever he is driving, sim or f1 or karts or whatever he wants. And I used to be a huge “Senna is the talent goat” before Max joined Red Bull.

I’m just going to hope this was sarcasm. And leave it alone.

2 Likes

I imagine Checo was conserving hard at the end, but Fernando was matching him lap for lap after he got by Sainz. I wonder how much Red Bull has in the tank yet because they looked like Merc circa 2016 out there.

Awesome fighting between Alonso, Hamilton, Russell, and Sainz, but otherwise fairly uneventful for the rest of the field. Great to see Alonso pull a fast one on Hamilton between the apexes of the double lefts. And rubbing wheels with Sainz. To think Stroll almost bonked Alonso into a spin on lap 1…

The Aston has superior tire deg control to the teams around it. When Alonso was able to push, everyone else had to conserve, and you saw Alonso supremely comfortable under braking. He was eating people up in the low speed corners and hard braking zones. That car looks awesome. Telemetry says Red Bull is faster in the high speed stuff where downforce counts most, but the Aston is faster in tight corners.

Haas wasn’t as bad as they seemed I don’t think. Hulk knocked part of his wing off so his first two stints were carrying heavy damage because they didn’t change it on the first stop. And Magnussen was on the alternate strategy to everyone else so he was just hanging on in the start. But once he bolted the softs on he was actually pretty decent in terms of lap time. Hard tire maybe doesn’t work so well for them.

Disastrous day for McLaren. And Ocon’s race was hilarious. Penalty for being out of the start box, then picks up wing damage and they start working on the wing during their penalty, so they fail to serve that penalty properly and get another for that. THEN he speeds on pit road trying to serve his penalty… Gasly made some hay to get into the points, so the Alpine isn’t totally awful, but I got to imagine Fernando is REALLY smiling about his move now. Alpine continues to make big promises but never any progress.

The Williams cars looked decent too, and I was pleasantly surprised by Sargeant’s race. He hung right with Albon most of the race, so props to him for that. Definitely a big step up from Latifi in that seat.

5 Likes

Vettel watching Alonso get P-3 . . .

3 Likes

i’m sorry but it’s true. i’m not the biggest max fan but he’s greatest talent we’ve ever seen. I am a senna die hard. no one has ever dominated their teammate as much as verstappen, you can hate him, but his talent as a 24 year old is undeniably the best in history

Read the comment about teammates feedback on max’s car. If you make something that the other driver has to give 100% to just keep on the track because it’s uncomfortable not really a fair shake.

2 Likes

Albon described it very well. The way Max has the cars he drives set up is like playing call of duty on maximum sensitivity. Very very difficult for any other driver to get to grips with. Danny Ric probably got closest because he likes a similarly pointy though not so extreme set up

1 Like

i agree the car is suited more towards Max, but why wouldn’t you suit it more towards Max. But even 2018 the car was not suited towards Max yet he was beating prime daniel ricciardo nearly every single race as a 19 year old. trainers and other red bull staff have said numerous times there has never been anyone putting in as much work in the sim, with the team, with the car than anyone ever at RB. He is definitely nowhere near GOAT status, but as far as peak racing talent goes, I would put him #1. Verstappen, Senna, Hamilton/Schumacher, Prost in terms of raw natural talent. again, not goat status.

But i also believe the ability to drive such an insanely difficult car is just more of a testament to how talented he is. to control a car that is described as insanely sensitive and oversteer-y for a whole race distance with almost no lock ups, snaps, nothing. I usually have his onboard up every race just to try and take something out of his driving. and it’s so hard to spot his driving imperfections. Now when he was younger he was a very disrespectful driver which led to me not liking him for the first few years in f1.

I’ve got a friend who I play cod with who’s sensitivity is 4x what I have. When we play normally, we are about the same. When I tried playing on his computer, I sucked.

So, just wanted to say that a analogy is great and accurate

2 Likes

It’s difficult cause that’s what max wants. That’s the point. I’m not denying his ability. But to use domination of a teammate as your defining point is mute

I wouldn’t say mute, if Max was NOT the biggest talent in F1, surely they could find someone who wasn’t .2 sec a lap off his race pace. I would love to see a talent like LeClerc in the same car as Verstappen for a true comparison. It is a lot closer now that I look into it and research the stats of senna and verstappen, but just accounting Verstappen is 24 and Senna was 30 during his prime…