2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

I was rooting for Sergeant being an American driver. Max climbing from the rear pack to P-2 was suprising, but also fortified my belief that F1 is not nearly as competitive as Indycar even on its best day.

2 Likes

Alonso penalty overturned! Upon review the FIA decided that the rear jack touching the car did not count as ā€œworking on the car before the penalty was servedā€, as was the case with other similar penalties in the past.

The FIA still needs a better way to make this process clearer.

2 Likes

Was just about to post about it @tjkoyen, beat me to the punch. Makes the FIA look a bit silly, but glad some common sense prevailed. Definitely some room for improvement on the penalty systems.

1 Like

Best commentā€¦

5 Likes

I reckon Saudi Arabia was a decent weekend. Letā€™s be real, we have to be thankful for any race Verstappen doesnā€™t win. He just looks so dominant.

Thereā€™s way less competition in IndyCar.

Alan, Can you explain what you mean? I think a few Americans would argue that the ā€œcompetitionā€ on the track is more appealing. Its apples to oranges in my opinion, but to blindly say something like that makes me curious what you mean.

2 Likes

every race the same chassis wins - a spec Dallara. You have one of two engine packages. I know thereā€™s some damper development but thereā€™s materially less competition, thus itā€™s less competitive. The competition, to me, is less appealing because thereā€™s simply a lot less at stake. I watch IndyCar when itā€™s on, but I canā€™t tell you who won the first race, and if I could remember I donā€™t remember the team. Thereā€™s a good reason the F1 thread on here is vastly larger than the IndyCar one, so I donā€™t thereā€™s evidence itā€™s more appealing.

ā€œCompetitiveā€ can mean different things. The level of competition in F1 is higher and you have to also remember itā€™s not only a driverā€™s championship, but a technical/constructorā€™s/engineering championship, so the field is not bunched together as IndyCar is, where everyone is on the same equipment essentially.

The field in IndyCar is more ā€œcompetitiveā€ in the sense that the margins are smaller since itā€™s a spec series.

3 Likes

I do enjoy a semantic based battle :slight_smile:

On a different note Sainz says the new cars arenā€™t much better to follow in now than what we had before. DRS is still doing a ton of heavy lifting. https://imgur.com/a/ZGWKnbg

Is it just me or is a pass under DRS not really a pass? I sort of donā€™t get it. Isnā€™t the tow enough of an advantage down straight?

Tow isnā€™t powerful enough really to off-set the losses of dirty air. I agree a DRS pass isnā€™t really a DRS pass, but without a huge reduction is d/f reliance then thereā€™s not much that can be done. Even in IndyCar, when all else is equal (not differences in tyre compounds, temperates and/or weight from fuel), the cars fan out and become a bit static.

The DRS zone in Saudi was way too big and made the overtake too easy. Lots of tracks have that issue and they have to tweak how long the DRS zones are.

DRS sucks and universally I think everyone hates it but it is a necessary evil to have some actual on-track action with the way these aero-dependant cars work.

IMO DRS would be more palatable if the driver could use it whenever he thinks he has the sack to do it.

The design is that the leading driver is nobbled. If it was open to use at any point itā€™d negate its purpose. Also the engineers would engineers the risk out of it too.

So what would happen if we drove an f1 car like an lo, right in the bumper of the guy ahead? Explain the dirty air effect plz.

I particularly like the reduction in airflow speed going over the following car as part of the general dirty air construct.

Also the increased upwash in the new aero regs has been hypethesised a reason for less effective tow. Rob peter to pay paul type scenario.

1 Like

The car needs clean flowing air over the wings and aero surfaces to generate downforce. Downforce provides most of the grip in an F1 car.

If you are behind a car, you are getting less clean air by way of turbulence coming off the front car, and less air overall as the front car punches a hole in the air to provide the slipstream. Rear car in turn has less downforce and canā€™t corner as well.

So basically no grip. Zing. Got it.

I came across this recently which I thought was a relatively unknown secret cool thing https://mantiumchallenge.com/

right, anyone up for a kartpulse team

?

1 Like