2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

We going racing f1? Design a car?

I think they got the whole DRS thing backwards. The DRS zones should be a series of 1 to 3 turns, where when the following driver hits the DRS button, the exits of the leading car’s ground effects tunnels become partially blocked. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Imho sc was a terrible call, and what about the Alonso penalty fiasco. Biggest dissapointment in F1 right now is the FIA :-1: I’m still waiting to see if Perez will defend the same way with Max as he has done with Hamilton in the past, I hope so. Thought we were going to see it yesterday.

2 Likes

im down to enter the 2026 season with andretti and dom. Domdretti Racing Cadillac F1 Team.

1 Like

Basically throwing a banana at the person in front of you in Mario Kart.

I like the sound of this. I am insufficiently rich, tho.

I think a rich energy sponsorship can help us out here.

Wait a second… didn’t they fail spectacularly at being sponsors?

Never said it’d be long term or sustainable :wink:

2 Likes

well yes, kinda. You design the car and it’s run through CFD then a laptime is simulated based on that data.

So no fiery crashing? Sounds doable.

I think i just wet myself!

I need to some better then me CAD people so i can doodle like Newey.

Fingers crossed this works on my work computer

My current status on first venture into CAD

6 Likes

1 season all out, win the wdc and wcc then disappear and never be heard from again.

it’s good to learn. i designed my engine mount and seat brackets for WAY under retail value

You didn’t have to leak Mclaren’s design team like that. Poor fellas

2 Likes

Laminar air is what creates downforce. Almost all aero is designed to work with laminar airflow.
You can direct, energize, and do whatever you please with laminar air.
Now when you have turbulent air coming off the car in front of you, all the aero that relied on laminar flow air is no longer working efficiently. It can no longer direct air properly to other parts of the car, or create downforce as well.
You also risk increased drag in turbulent air as you’ll get separation on larger elements such as the front and rear wing. Separation is when the air doesn’t stick to the back of the wing element, creating a gap, or vacuum, which greatly increases drag, and decreases downforce.

This is for an airplane, but the same concept for f1 cars, just upside down.

2 Likes

I’m down.
20 characters

Let me see what I can do😂
If only I weren’t in college and had as much time as I wanted.

I bet you mclaren made this website so they could get free car designs. I guess they’re desperate