2023 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

George Russell? :slight_smile: De Vries? Albon’s redemption? Williams seat is a good place to be.

He’ll be fine anyway. The new breed of rich drivers aren’t making same errors as the past. They are doing all the ‘right’ things throughout their junior careers.

2 Likes

Well imho really he only has to look good against Albon regardless of how good the car is.

You all know more about this, than I do. They just didn’t seem to be that well endowed at Rotax Grands. Well good that he has money, that will make him harder to displace.

Red Bull launch going on now, they just showed the car and made a pretty big announcement:

Red Bull will partner Ford for their engine partner from 2026. Cool to see Ford return.

The RB19 livery looks almost identical to the RB18 with some small tweaks. Was hoping for a little different livery but the RB livery is iconic and prestigious at this point so no reason to change it I suppose.

1 Like

I am not sure it’s iconic, tho. I may dislike Ferrari but they have a look that makes sense and I feel like the RB look is a bit too busy and not particularity memorable.

It was a just livery launch right?

The car they are using is looks like the show car from when F1 announced the new rules and doesnt have a lot of the “aggressive” aero features.

Maybe our definitions of iconic differ. I see a blue car with the yellow circle and Red Bull and I know what team it is and what is associated with it. And their overall look is pretty simple no? It’s a blue cat with the logo on the engine cover.

And yes, Nik, just a livery launch I believe.

Well, I guess to me it’s the intangible coolness factor. Yeah it is a solid look from an identity perspective and instantly recognizable as redbull. But it’s not as cool to me as the Ferrari look.

I mean I have a red race suit and I don’t like Ferrari and dont smoke Marlboros anymore.

True, the Ferrari heritage means that the “red car” is automatically associated with the brand. Maybe in 50 years the Red Bull branding will be the same level of strength.

Ferrari in general is one of the strongest brand identities in history though.

I can’t get too excited about many of the modern F1 liveries tbh. Maclaren Gulf is the exception! My top three Nigels Williams then the Gulf Maclaren then the JPS Lotus.

4 Likes

It’s got the DRS thingy so it’s more than just a show car but it probably bears zero resemblance to the real car (or any race ready car)

It’s last year’s car with a couple different sponsor logos.

“New” Williams livery… Largely the same as last year but with Gulf branding and they appear to be better on weight this year since they have more paint coverage this time.

They may do a full Gulf livery as a one-off, similar to the McLaren Monaco livery, which would be cool.

3 Likes

I do like the Duracell branding. :+1:

2 Likes

I was going to say, that is a really clever integration.

Dude is hyped because he toyed with everyone in F3/F2. IMHO the last driver that was this dominant was Leclerc.

I think the only concern is that he hasn’t driven really for a year, so it might take him a bit to knock the rust off.

Otherwise I know he has the talent.

And Russell. Both won GP3/F3 and F2 in consecutive years.

Good analysis of the Alfa…

3 Likes