2024 Formula 1 Season Discussion

Dumb take IMO. I don’t think he’s quite as bad as some people like to make him out to be. Those same people seem to think talent and money are mutually exclusive too.

5 Likes

He certainly isn’t the rubbish driver many people make him out to be. Inconsistent yes but he has had some very good drives too especially when he was with Williams. There are far worse drivers on the grid.

2 Likes

Lance was trained by Mike Wilson if I recall correctly

Lance did well all the way up to F1 but with the best stuff money could buy, private testing and coaching from the best coaches. He had a very privileged junior career that many drivers don’t get.

He’s inconsistent, overdrives, makes errors, trips up in wheel to wheel, and has been outperformed by almost every teammate he’s had in F1 with very little development and growth throughout his career. I think the only driver he beat head to head was Sirotkin who was also not rated highly and was a rookie.

He’s quick on occasion but he’s certainly one of the weakest drivers on the grid. It’s a shame they have Drugovich sitting idle while Lance occupies the seat.

It’s just funny that Lance has to issue a release about being retained. We all know how it works. The only news that would be interesting would be if he was sent sportscar racing by Poppa Stroll.

It sounds like they are offering Newey all the money he could ever want to come work for Aston. I think Lawrence is really holding out for that in the hopes Lance can have a world championship caliber car.

3 Likes

Supossedly Mike Wilson saw something in him because he didn’t want to waste time, though to be honest Lawrence Stroll probably paid him enough to cover his retirement and more :sweat_smile:

Everyone I know probably was hoping Lance would go to WEC next year

Stroll and Sargent out qualifying their team mates! Hoping someone makes a flyer at the start like George did last week to make it interesting:)

2 Likes

4+ tenths gap on this track is like 6 tenths on a normal length track. Insane lap from Max. No one is beating him at RB Ring.

1 Like

FINALLY an actual race for first at the end.

Unfortunately Lando came out worse for Max’s error moving under braking. I still think that if you take someone out, you should get a DNF as well.

2 Likes

So why do they keep Perez employed? Max cuts a tire, does most of a lap on 3 wheels, makes an extra stop for new boots, still finished 5th. Perez has a clean race, and finishes 7th, behind a Haas.

1 Like

Beats me. Sainz, Albon, someone good besides Perez.

Money and marketing has to be the reason.

I’m losing interest in supporting Perez. It’s hard to watch, as he drops further and further away from Verstappen. I think Max learns how to drive and tune the car better as the season progresses, leaving his team mate in the dust and whirling in self doubt.

2 Likes

It does seem like the redbull has increasingly become a “high gain” chassis with a narrow envelope of peak performance. It has to be driven on the ragged edge with absolute full commitment to extract its ultimate performance and Max is doing that better.

Reminds me a little of Mansell and Patrese in 92’ with the active Williams. Yes, it was the fastest car out there but it required huge commitment and faith to extract the performance.

Which is a long way of saying “sketchy” I guess :laughing:

2 Likes

Sainz deserves the redbull seat much more than perez, perez is depending too much on the car for being good, Max drives hard whether its a bad car or good car put him in a Haas and he’ll still podium, I think its mostly marketing why he still has his seat Perez alone sells a lot of merch

It is Max’s team until he wants to leave, Sainz would not sign up as a wigman. Max doesn’t want a Mark Webber/Nico Rosberg/Ect… situation. He wants to win even with a huge lead.

Albon stated that Max’s car preference is widely undrivable, and becomes worse as the season goes on. Based on Checo’s stats it’s very true statement.

If Sainz goes to Williams, Sauber, or Alpine he would likely get a fair chance. He would be best to take the biggest bag because none of those teams are going to be contenders anytime soon. Williams is a investor group it’s about the money not the performance. Sauber will become Audi, the team looks like a mess, nothing short of a fire sale for it to work in 2026. Alpine has Briatore he can land the big fish however is as shady and manipulative as they come. It was believe that Briatore was walking to Sainz Sr.

1 Like

What do people think of Max and Lando’s coming together.

IMO when you go for the outside you are always the the risk of being squeezed either by intention or mistake of the other driver. I’m not quite convinced Max put a squeeze on him like some say and further to my previous point, Lando put himself at serious risk when he probably should have let it go. Max appears to move to the left, but there’s some plausible deniability there when it comes to it being a deliberate move.

Ultimately they both effed themselves.

Yes, I know what the stewards decided, but that’s another issue.

As someone who also tried an outside move this weekend and paid for it with about 6 positions, you have to know and accept that you are making a big risk. I went outside Isambard and didn’t drive in deep enough to claim overlap at apex so I knew before the apex I was toast on the exit. Bonilla squeezed me off and actually got a penalty for it but they overturned it, and had I known he got penalized I would’ve spoken up for him in defense. I know what I was doing and I made my bed and I knew I made a low chance move and I paid for it like I would’ve done to anyone else.

Max squeezed him to the line but Lando could’ve avoided the accident and had asphalt to do so. There’s a chance there he avoids it by taking evasive action and Max earns himself a penalty anyway for forcing a driver off track. I think Lando’s emotions were high in his post race interviews and he probably was politicking a little (like Stella and the team) to earn some sympathy.

These drivers know what they are doing, no way did Lando NOT anticipate being squeezed. Of all the “risky” driving Max does, this looked pretty innocuous to me from all angles. Lando overshooting hugely on his previous attempt was a far more desperate looking move in my eyes.

2 Likes

Risky move, but Lando wanted a win and if he could have made the pass, he could have pulled away. I think Lando wants wins, as he has no chance of winning the championship.

I’ve always thought F1 rules of engagement were odd compared to karting. In karting generally speaking if you’re on the outside you’ve given up the corner. In F1 it’s commonplace to go on the outside, go deep and say they were ahead going into the corner and had the right to the corner. Max definitely squeezed him on to the kerb, and per F1 rules he must leave a car’s width to the white line.

I watched their coming together over and over on f1tv from both cockpits. Not sure what Lando was trying - switch back setup maybe but when you watch Max onboard you see quite clearly he looks right mirror-left mirror then turns the wheel left into where Lando is going.

Slam dunk direction change under braking.

Easy to comment from the comfort of my recliner, but when there was 13 or so laps left, Lando was quicker, already had track limit warnings, it just seemed like the dive bomb bouncing off each other tactics wasnt necessary. He could have bided his time a bit and set him up with a good run plus DRS. Just seemed sloppy and almost desperate by Lando.

1 Like