2024 Indycar - Season Discussion

Watched the practice at St. Pete today. I like the changes to turn 3, much smoother. The tire barriers are much improved as well which should cut down on the time to clear incidents. I’m not sold on the new practice format, but there’s not much you can do with short tracks and lots of cars.

Nice weather there. Wish I was there instead of in this cold rain today.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with Andretti on his points. I do find the IMSA engine idea quite interesting as well and certainly add more interest to manufacturers.

2 Likes

Spicy one in practice!

https://fb.watch/qHrv4LAxS2/

2 Likes

Newgarden looked like Max today. Over 8 second lead over everyone else. Big win.

1 Like

If you like tight technical tracks, think money is a better reward than points (there will be no points), and want to watch a different kind of challenge, this weekends unusual Indycar race (in two parts) is for you.

Test session one:

4 Likes

This should be interesting for sure.

1 Like

I REALLY like the shootout type qualification they are using. Quick and simple.

With two heat races and a final, this is like a big karting race today.

Wild strategies! The racing is pretty boring but the format is providing some interesting options.

1 Like

It certainly looks like a scrappy kart race. I almost expected someone in 8th to push the 7th car to try and get above the cut.

1 Like

Honestly pretty boring race. Herta’s strategy was fun but didn’t pay off nearly as much as they hoped. Rossi looked really quick in the second half too but whiffed so many times fighting Lunqvist I think he burned his stuff up. Either way, Palou was lights out.

1 Like

I have no idea how Dixon manages to save fuel AND go fast… but what a drive to hang on to the lead. Long Beach is usually quite fun, lots of opportunities for things to happen, good or bad.

Much better than the race for 2nd in China IMHO.

2 Likes

Dixon and Alonso are perfect examples that age doesn’t matter if you have motivation. Shame he didn’t get a shot at F1, I think he was more than capable in his prime.

1 Like

Really gripping last stint as everyone chased down Dixon and he fought them all off with one hand tied behind his back saving fuel. Classic Dixon drive, the guy is a machine. Truly one of the best drivers in all of racing over the past several years. He’s so well rounded, smart, and measured. The guy can blitz a lap time, save fuel, be aggressive. Incredible talent especially at his age.

3 Likes

To me the most impressive thing about Dixon, is not his ability to use those tools like fuel save, agreession etc, but his ability to know exactly when to use them.

2 Likes

Wow! Thats huge!

Thats not Penske Perfect (if it was in fact a mistake)

No way it was a mistake. It was deliberate, they spoofed the enable signal.

1 Like

Definitely deliberate, and not new by the sounds of it, considering another team reported penske drivers using p2p abnormally last season.

1 Like

I’m curious what the fallout will be from this 3-4 months from now. This is pretty egregious even by racing standards….