206 juniors compkart

It’s faster but everyone has basically the same engine same power yet we lack pace to the fastest kart and we’ve tried everything to catch up but we can’t get in the top ten because the 10th place kart is just so much faster than us

The top ten pack pulls away from me mid straight even though I get perfect exits on the corner

Ok so top end. First up I’d guess would be gearing. Are you running same/similar gearing as the others? If you are running more teeth, your top end is slower. (Conversely you would be pulling better in corners).

Everyone runs close to a 15-18 front gear and a 55-70 rear we run a 16-60 usually

Hmm. Gearing would have been easy. Got footage? Maybe visual/sound might clue someone in.

Yeah but I can’t post it because it’s not authorized I guess

You can’t post video directly, but you can post a youtube link and it should embed.,

Sometimes people gear to ride the rev limiter in the Jr class when they really should not be… Could it be that?

Here’s a video at Wilmington, ohio

I don’t hear you bouncing off a limiter. I am hearing overrun pops from pretty far back before the corner. I do not have a lot of seat time in LO but iirc those pops occur on lift. Are you lifting early and coasting into corner for a bit before you get on brakes?

Since I’m not hearing the tattatatat of the limiter anywhere, is it possible you are geared too much for top end?

Someone who knows lo better hopefully has ideas.

If you have a camera you can mount, you should record a race so we can see what you mean about you relative to the top ten.

The popping everyone told me was the rev limiter

But I don’t have any recent footage at ovka which is were we run the most Wilmington is just when we’re bored and ovka isn’t racing

If you’re getting beat on the straight, it’s either an engine (carb) issue or you are not getting off the corners like you think you are. There’s a difference in getting off the corners right and feeling like you are. 99 times out of 100, it is not the engine.

Is the kart a 4R?

Yeah but a driver named Thomas schrage has been helping me and every heat he’s been saying I’m getting perfect exits every time just the pack pulls away mid straight

Also yes I have an 4R

The pops I refer to are the ones as you approach the corner. They occur as you begin deceleration and they are pops from exhaust. The limiter sounds more tinny and rapid tapapapa. At least it does on mine.

I can’t drive this thing worth a damn but listen to the limiter on back straight: (timestamped).

Post your setup. Track widths, axle, all of it.

2020 Track Champion on a 4R here. 90% of the time on a 4R you need to get rid of grip.

1 Like

Matthew probably will be able to help you most directly. Would also reach out to the CompKart dealer local to you to ask for some setup help.

If the kart doesn’t have noticeable understeer or oversteer and it feels relatively “good”, it’s very likely it’s bound up and you need to help it release off the corner better.

Without an onboard footage it is going to be hard to help you.

On that particular turn you are late on throttle

1 Like

We have an 4R we’ve found some setups and did some practice and set blistering lap times like 46 flats

I’m going to judge based on only the evidence you have given, so take this however you want.

Trying not to be rude, I think you need to run lots of practice laps and work on driving. I’m gonna assume by your comments that you are fairly new and just getting started. The video you posted of Wilmington, you entered way too early, apexed too soon, and almost drove off the track on exit. Need to work on later entry, later apex, and smoother exit. I would assume that is probably true at G&J as well. That track lends itself well to late apex and smooth hands.

FWIW, I would drop a few teeth there too. That sure sounds like limiter (quick check of the tach could confirm) and you dont need to be on the limiter that much in a Yellow slide. Clean the carb and make sure you are getting maximum opening for your slide. Other than that, the engine doesnt determine much in junior racing. If you are still getting beat down the straightaways, it is definitely driving and/or super tight chassis.

1 Like