A culture age-out: unfortunate there aren't more 30+ yr old drivers competing in senior classes

Curious what the average weight limits are for other senior classes. KA100 Senior here at GoPro Moto is 370lbs. I’m 5’10" 190 lbs and can come in on fumes right at 368 or so. Is it significantly lower elsewhere? Bout to hit 30 next year and I’ll admit I do feel like the old fart in the class out there getting my butt kicked by “kids”

370lbs is quite generous. UAE X30 senior is 160kg (352 lbs). Masters 170kg (364 lbs) I normally weigh in at 175 ish.

Sodi series rentals senior (driver weight) 80 masters 90.

Clayton, pretty much the rest of the US races KA Sr @ 360, for the first time ever I had to add a little weight and run with full fuel to make weight at GoPro…well actually the rather large BBQ dinner helped out a little there as well.

I thought getting to 360 was going to be next to impossible but I got to the point this year where I was 363-364 almost all the time on reasonable amounts of fuel and it was pretty easy to maintain.

edit if you’re running the standard battery for the KA you can lose 4 lbs just by going to a lithium battery.

American weight limits are always higher.

Most senior classes these days are around the 360lb mark. Many places used to offer a heavy and a light class, with light being 320-340 usually. Still like that in some areas but less common.

Weights have gone up steadily as karts have gotten heavier too. Fond memories of JICA at 305.

We have Member Dues and Elected Officials on the Club level and as I understand it most Regional and National Series are Privately owned. I suspect like our Club Dues, a portion of that goes to Insurance helping to reduce the Track’s/Organization’s Liability Exposure. We have several Region Series in my area, but I have not delved into the Regs to see what kind of parity exists between them.

I think we ran 390 for masters. Think 360 for senior. Don’t quote me but that’s my memory.

Depends what you’re running I guess, and what track. In the Florida Winter Tour, run by ROK USA, the weights are:

ROK Senior: 355 lbs
ROK Masters: 390 lbs
100CC Senior: 350 lbs
100CC Masters: 380 lbs

I imagine the weights for the ROK Senior are similar to the X30 Senior weights. I didn’t include the shifter weights, but they’re pretty much just 5 lbs more than ROK Masters. In the case for LO206 weights, I checked on the CKNA rule book and their weights for LO206 are:

Senior - Open: 375 lbs
CIK Senior Light: 340 lbs
CIK Senior Medium: 360 lbs
CIK Senior Heavy: 390 lbs
CIK Masters: 390 lbs

Ya… I’d need to lose a leg for some of those classes or quit weightlifting and start running. So assuming most karts are around 170-180lb with no lead they are aiming for a 170lb driver. That’s right around the F1 min. driver weight of 80kg-176 lbs. So not to out of line I suppose.

I weigh a scrawny 143 lbs so I’m going to have to hit the gym or eat more :crazy_face:

I’ll take the positive spin on it.

MotorsportUK provide a consistent set of rules, classes, and insurance across the whole country. They train all the officials so you (in theory) have consistent officialling (race directors, tech officials) and they train track marshals. With that you get appeals options etc. They recently also started running the British Championships with all the youtube coverage (although this did exist before).

IKR has managed to work its own way out (and is much more like the US in that sense with clubs running tracks to their own rules) but I don’t know how well it would work if they use MotorsportUKs rules as the starting point.

So running under the MotorsportUK world, you’d never have a situation where you come to a new track and need to purchase and learn a different type of tire, or there’s a whole new class you’d never seen before, like it is in the US. You also avoid the situation where one big shop in the region dominates your regulations and makes the rules fit whatever they import or manufacturer.

I don’t know whether this is related, but I find entry fees are quite high for races in North America vs the UK and that might be due to some of the cost of running a meeting being captured by MotorsportUK.

When I moved into Snrs, Formula A was 308lbs! Snr TKM was 297lbs!

When I left JICA it was 275lbs lol.

1 Like

The distributors can only regulate that if they go through a regulatory body (like MotorsportUK) or hold some sort of reward back unless the club or series run exactly to their regulations.

For example, I ran a rotax at points last years, but to different weights and different tires then the rotax regs. If I ran at a local track, i’d be at different weight and different tires or (worse in my opinion) a choice of tire brands.

Tire makes such a huge difference I have never understood how it works on mixed compounds. It seems like there is benefit to the overarching motorsportUK process. Consistency about marshalling/judging/organization etc does provide clarity. I get the impression that here in the USA, we tend to stick close to home and the home series.

Yes, its still through a solid axle though. They are actually fun and very cheap. You can easily run a 24hr race without risk.

I think it may be more relative to the closeness of tracks and entry counts. From what is sounds like, the UK has a much higher density of tracks relative to its land mass. It is not as common in the States to have tracks within a hour drive of each other. With the greater accessibility comes a higher competition for business. Most tracks here are club based/owned with only a few regional series coming once or twice a year, so to generate enough revenue they likely are charging more. They do however give breaks to members versus non-members on entry fees.

You mean to say you don’t have tracks within 600m of each other?

I think the key phrase there was, “not as common”. :joy:

1 Like

Absolutely, in the UK if you live in the middle of the country you probably have more tracks within 2 hrs then you have outside 2hrs.

1 Like

You might still be at the advantage being “underweight” my only method of quick tuning weight placement is moving engine or seat front and back. Very hard for me to fine tune on the fly not being able to move weight front and rear, but also vertically on the kart. Not sure exactly on karts, but in other forms or racing getting weight low is normally a plus.

I’m thinking I can easily lose 10-15lbs or so with battery, removing the stickers, ditching the gopro w/mounts, and skipping the pre-race hotdog!

Also does any have a direct weight delta between the KA and X30?