A culture age-out: unfortunate there aren't more 30+ yr old drivers competing in senior classes

Too much water surrounding you. I’d imagine you drive much more than a couple hours in any direction and there’s the sea. I exaggerate, but it’s pretty small. There was that episode of grand tour in Australia where they were on a cattle farm and Clarkson pointed out that the single farm was larger than the region of England he lived in.

1 Like

I raced with a guy from Australia, who told me they drove 24hours, reached a T junction and that’s where they decided which track they would be going to.

In the UK, the only people i knew with any kind of drive were the Stoddarts (as in Toto Wolffs wife, Susie), who i believe needed to drive 2.5 hrs to their nearest national standard track and that one was 2 to 3 hours away from the next nearest.

1 Like

You’re never more than 70 or so miles away from a coastline in the UK :slight_smile: literally

1 Like

Is this a local attitude or broader? I have a different take because Bonanno. He’s our resident ace and he’s close to my age. He races masters and senior. And, he seems to usually win both. Also, Marco would combine senior and masters from time to time which was always good fun.

Haha! that sounds like the Northern Territory, or Queensland.
I’m in Western Australia , My closest track is an hour, the next is 5 Hours. We have a series that races between 4 clubs and the longest drive is around 9 hours. I did 15 hours to the State Champs this year, which is not the longest but definitely up there.
It would take a 48 hours to get to the furthest track from me, staying in the state. Funny to think i could cross a state border and probably be at a closer one.

Must be nice.:laughing:

I have about 7 or 8 tracks within an hour. Yes is nice… :slight_smile:

My closest track (with racing) JRP is 1.5 hours away. The second closest (DKC) is about 3.5 hours away.

Cue Eddie Rabbitt…

NJ don’t have much (2 outdoor racing facilities Etown, NJMP) but we are all small state. Everything g within 1.5 hrs, including OVRP which is NY.

Broad in general, and definitely true locally (California), but it is good to see several responses in this thread, including yours, which show some big exceptions around the globe. :blush:

Don’t get me wrong, KA100 Senior at my local club is full of young guys fresh out of junior and who are wildly aggressive as you’ve explained - this has scared a lot of the older guys away from what was a premier category

Some good reading here. I have an interesting question though, give me your opinion.

I’m a rookie this season, but not a brand new rookie, we’ve raced short tracks, like nascar style.

I am between 1 and 3 hours to our karting hotbeds around Toronto. Some clubs have a 25 year old age limit for masters, others 32, others 35. I am 29 next season. With fuel I should be right on senior weight 340. Masters weight is 360.

Would you run masters some places? Or senior everywhere?

Really depends on the turnout, if there are more seniors than masters drivers then pick the senior, or vice versa. If the turnout is around the same, I guess you can choose whichever, maybe watch the difference between the masters and the senior races, and see which one you prefer. Honestly, I feel like both Masters and Senior drivers are going to want the win and be aggressive, but in Masters you may be a little more protected from wild moves that have no chance of success.

Just depends on turnout in the tracks. Try/watch both and see which you prefer :+1:

1 Like

Mixed tire classes are fine. Everyone gravitates towards the tire that works best and works best for them.

Open tire shifter or 125 TaG around here in the Midwest tends to be MG Yellow, Evinco Red, Hoosier R55 and Hoosier R60A.

Open tire other classes boil down to Bridgestone YLCs/YPCs, Vega VAH, Hoosier R60A or R60B, and possibly MG Red.

None of them really have an advantage over the others in lap times or on track performance.

You sure about that? Try running a senior race and see what happens. I would be surprised if you got pushback, unless you were really inexperienced.

I don’t see that at all. At least at the local level, drivers drive what ever class they want. I think most drivers that prefer one class over another is based on their weight. They can either bolt on 25 lbs to join the larger class or try to drop 25 lbs to not get lapped. By far the guy bolting on lead has the easier choice. Jordan Musser raced Senior Shifter for several years through his 30’s and was fast. He is a big guy. Now only in the last year or two he has rolled over to Masters. Why? Maybe he is having a harder time making weight. It’s certainly not because he is afraid to bang bumpers with younger drivers. He and Billy Musgrave (half a foot shorter, younger and like 40 lbs lighter) banged doors all the time.

Like anything you are new at competing against others with more experience, there will be a learning curve. In racing, it just means you are slow. As long as you don’t intentionally impede the leaders progress there is nothing to worry about. Knowing you are new, most experienced drivers won’t dive bomb you in hairpin where they might get turned in on, but rather set it up to take you at corner exit or on the following straight. As the more experienced driver, should an incident occur, it would be their fault for not overtaking safely. Mom and Dad will likely be more mad at them for damaging equipment over a risky move than you for driving your line.

Arguably the best rule they ever made. Tire mandate across the province/US state. Vega Blue Ontario. Only. No other tire is legal anywhere. The only time things change is big races. I’m not sure about shifters, or Tag, but LO206 is the same tire from one end to the other no matter the club.

I think Jordon’s side projects and work keep him from getting down to Senior weight. He’s got a new C-suite job now that’s taking up a bunch of time, and he just finished building a 1300+ hp Porsche Cayman.

I’m Masters eligible now, but thanks to being 5’8" I can make Senior weight just by being in good shape for karting and other sports. This year I’ll find out whether it’s been lousy equipment and a terrible team owner (me) holding me back - the past two years I’ve run up front and been fast only in somebody else’s kart. If it doesn’t work I’ll accept that my “keep the equipment fresh for the feature” mentality is better suited for Masters, hit the weight room seriously and pack on muscle, and move to that group.

I’ve never heard of anyone adding weight to themselves to make the next category. Better to add ballast to the kart so you keep that extra weight where you want it - low. Unless of course you plan to add muscle only to your legs and ass :joy:

If you can though, that’s a fabulous thing. Imagine being able to build enough carefully chosen muscle mass and not have to add 40lbs of darn lead.