Advice to go faster

Good morning everyone, I race in the italian regional championship in the X30 category. I place myself between third and fourth place on average, but I would like to improve my driving style to get closer to the top 2 who are faster on each track about 6-7 tenths.

Part of this gap is because of the weight (I’m 162 kg against the minimum 155 kg) but a part is also due to a drive that I can improve, even if it is already good. I think I’m wrong with the gas when I exit a corner. In all my best laps the minimum RPM are about 5.500/6.000, that are so low (I think the best drivers don’t go under 7.000, correct me if I’m wrong). When I try to keep up the RPM in the corner I do slower laps. I mean, when I do a lap with minimum RPM around 6.800 this lap is slower about 3-4 tenths. This is because when I push the gas before that I usually do, to keep up RPM, I can’t have a smooth exit and I go sliding, doing lot of corrections.

Do you have some advice to improve that? I tried different setups but the problem is my driving style.

Thank you

Weight won’t do much difference (maybe a 1-1.5 tenth at best) in your case. You could try to put less fuel so at the end of the race you have the least amount of fuel possible.

An onboard video would be great. Are you sure you are losing time on the corner exits ? If it is the case

then work on your throttle application. There is no magic tricks :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Agree with Tanguy, we need to see video or data to tell anything. Driving is very complicated, not just a matter of “go faster in the corner”. Minimum RPM can tell you some issues, but we need to understand why your minimum RPM is lower than your competitors.

1 Like

First of all, thanks both for the answer.

I think I lose time on the exit not only because low RPM but this is my impression when I follow a faster driver. I think I have a very good braking but from the moment I reach the apex, the fastest driver go away from me and if I try to follow him I begin to slide.

This is my onboard (link youtube below), this day the track was green and the temperature not so high (about 10-12° celsius) but I think you can understand something about my driving style.

Thanks again

I saw a few missed apexes on that lap, late throttle application, and a little too much movement on the steering wheel.

I think you need to brake a bit more efficiently and get the kart down to the apex better so you can get to throttle sooner. Also looks like you might be pulling on the steering wheel rather than pushing it, which is why the steering wanders a bit. Try being firmer in the seat and holding the wheel more steady as well so you’re smoother.

2 Likes

This is so true, I know :confused:

The advice about the steering wheel is very good, I don’t even notice this but now I’m seeing that and your are true, I’ll try this.

About the braking, what do you mean when you say more efficiently? For example, I have to brake harder and shorter and then get the kart to the apex without braking or I have to brake softer and longer till the apex?

Thanks

Looking at your feet it seems like you’re also mashing the gas pedal a lot. Roll onto it smoothly, like you’re pressing water out of a sponge.

2 Likes

Ok I’ll try to be smooth. Ideally I should have the gas fully open only with straight wheels after exiting the corner or even a little earlier?

Given that you are locking up the brakes a bit, you’re probably braking near the limit, so you would need to brake a bit earlier. You want the braking zones to be as short as possible. Some cases it looks like you could get to max brake pressure quicker. The problem is there is a little inconsistency from corner-to-corner in your technique. So I would focus on braking just half a meter earlier and see if that helps you get the kart settled on entry better so it rolls off the corner with more stability.

If you over-drive the entry, the rest of the corner you will be compromised. Your line will be off, your apex point will be off, and the kart will be unsettled, so when you go to apply throttle it isn’t set and stable like it should be.

Not necessarily. You almost always want to be starting to apply throttle just before you get to the apex so you drive the kart through the corner with constant load on the tires. But that means you need to roll smoothly into the throttle like Richard was saying, so you manage that load through the tire and don’t overwork the tire and cause a slide.

I have a few videos on some of these basic concepts that might help in this playlist:

1 Like

@tjkoyen and @Richard_Jacques said everything. Your rhythm is a bit off but not by much, in some turns you are a bit slow in the entry, and in some other you are overshooting the entry. In some turns the line is also not perfect. I can see how you lose 6-7 tenths, maybe even a bit more.

Braking isn’t the best, but the green track and cold temperatures make it harder. Your throttle application is far too binary.

3 Likes

Thanks to all. Also the videos by Karting 101 are so useful.

I think I understand that the main problem is my right foot sensibility, I go on/off on the gas and this is not good. Then I have to work on be smoother on the steering wheel and to improve the braking.

Just to know if I understand: hard braking (not locking up), then very smooth on the gas before the apex while turning also very smooth, and gradually go full gas in a very soft way. It’s correct? In a few words :sweat_smile:

Modulate that throttle. There’s gains to he had. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Try to feel what the power does to the load and grip. Play around with that.

1 Like

Y

Basically! That’ll be a good baseline technique. A little lock-up is okay on the brakes, but we want to make sure the kart is fairly settled before turn-in most of the time, so that the kart isn’t still recovering from the lock-up while you’re introducing steering input. This will tend to upset the chassis more.

Driving fast is an immensely complex rhythm with lots of small details, but a good baseline will get you very far.

1 Like

I also see what seems like you turn in and then it appears that you change your mind and turn out and turn in back in later but this might be due to correcting a slide. See :58 or thereabouts.

1 Like

One way to put the great observations of @tankyx, @tjkoyen & @Richard_Jacques into the overall cornering context is to think about each turn from the desired exit (location, trajectory, speed, and acceleration rate), to the rotation point (typically at or near the apex), back to the braking and entry point. That is, to create the exit you desire, you must manage the entry so that you can rotate the kart in balance with the kart/setup/track combination.

To produce balanced rotation at the correct location, you must manage the amount of work the outside front tire is doing (by managing the load that the speed you are carrying generates) so that the energy/speed creating the load peaks at the rotation point, and the trajectory taken into the apex produces the desired amount and rate of yaw. Doing this correctly means you arrive at the rotation point with no more, and no less, than optimum speed.

If you arrive at the rotation point with too much speed, you will alter your desired trajectory to the outside of your desired line (because excess energy will still be causing large slip angles for the front tire), which can cause you to go wide of the apex and slightly delay rotation. This means you have to slow down more that optimal to get the kart to rotate enough to try and get back on your line. Drivers often respond to this mistake by snapping the gas on ASAP after the kart starts rotating, because they are trying to make up for speed they lost by running wide and by having to wait for the yaw rotation to take effect. However, depending on the timing relative to rotation rate, snapping the gas on can either induce a large understeer or a snap oversteer; both of which typically require a lift and are not good for lap times. If you make this mistake it’s best to take the smaller penalty of waiting for the kart to rotate, and rolling on the gas as smoothly as possible.

If you arrive at the rotation point with insufficient speed, then the trajectory (slip angle) of your front end will be collapsing in towards the apex because there is insufficient energy to maintain the tire load/slip angle. If this happens then yaw rotation starts, early, but with insufficient energy to get the kart all the way rotated for the exit of the turn. This often looks like parking/turning the kart at the apex, and then driving a kind of straight line from the apex out to the exit point of the turn (so driving a line out of the turn instead of drifting the kart out on the optimal line/trajectory). The driver response is often the same as for carrying in too much speed (i.e. whack the throttle open).

When you get this speed at the rotation point right, it’s a beautiful thing because the kart just rotates smoothy, predictably and effortlessly. However, managing the rotation (the transfer of load from the outside front tire to the outside rear tire), requires great precision in both throttle and steering inputs. One way to think of this is to consider it like the opposite of trail braking. In trail braking you decrease braking pressure concurrently and proportionally to increasing steering input, in order to manage the load on the outside front tire when braking into a turn. When you get on the gas to manage rotation, you should decrease steering input concurrently and proportionately to increasing throttle). Many drivers seem to treat throttle and steering as separate things, but doing so creates a situation where your steering is behind (reacting to) your throttle input, instead of them working together to create a balanced application of load to the outside rear tire. An imbalance in throttle/steering can often set off oscillations of energy during acceleration that can require multiple steering and/or throttle corrections to manage.

6 Likes

I do this. On a track walk whilst everyone’s looking at the entry I go over to the exit and look back past the apex to identify where to turn in.

1 Like

Very comprehensive and complex explanation, I hope i understand everything. My english is good but not perfect :sweat_smile:. What you say however confirms that I have to work a lot on the management of the throttle. I think my mistake is to accelerate late and, because I know I’m late, I try to recover the time lost by pressing it too heavy. I still have big difficult to go gently on the gas soon, barely touching it. My foot is still too heavy :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Short version; Don’t press the gas any faster than your are removing steering input, no matter how the entry and rotation went. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the summary :rofl: :rofl:

Do you have heel stops/foot supports? That can help with pedal control and even steering input as your brace you limbs to maintain balance.

2 Likes