AMA: Ryan Norberg

AMA: Ryan Norberg

We’ll be doing a few fun videos over the course of SuperNats 24 – one of which being that we take your questions and ask the Pros directly to answer!

In this thread, send any questions you may have for Ryan Norberg and we’ll see about getting them answered LIVE and on camera!

3 Likes

when will the 'tash be making a comeback?

1 Like

I’m sure I could come up with a few if allowed, but the first one that comes to mind:

In your “my biggest weaknesses” video you mentioned your trouble with hunching forward in the seat which I suffer from. How do you plan to approach changing that? Are there specific drills you’ll practice? Will you give yourself an audible queue you’ll repeat to yourself while driving?

Aero seems to be talked about a lot lately. Wondering what his observations are on how much it influences performance.

2 Likes

Does Ryan ever sim? If not, what game does he play to chill or wtfpwn n00bs in?

Around how much do you spend traveling every year to the events? Or does your team cover your expenses

1 Like

I’ve gotten much better at driving style, one thing I really struggle with through is hand cramps. I think I push too hard on the wheel and/or grip it too tightly. It’s the only thing that hurts when driving as I’ve gotten much better in all other physical aspects. I’d love to hear some suggestions if you can.

Thank you!

Does he typically run the same chassis and engine, or does he tend to race or practice in other classes?

He answered this in the recent KC YT video. It takes him too long

What are your long term goals in motorsports?
I talked to him about this 3 years ago, and Im wondering if his answer has changed

How long did it take to progress from being a novice to becoming a nationally competitive driver, and what was the most important lesson you learned along the way?

1 Like

When you’re driving, are you consciously thinking a lot about hitting marks, planning race strategy, analyzing how the kart is working etc. or are you driving more subconsciously? Or does it flip back and forth? I know my brain is switching modes over the course of a race between actively thinking about all that stuff and full tunnel-vision/in the zone/flow state.

When you approach a weekend, are you looking to optimize setup every session, or do you sort of plan to set the kart up knowing that once you hit quali and the track starts to come in, it will be where it needs to be? In other words, are you going out for initial practice sessions with a setup you know might not be perfect but you know you aren’t going to be tuning to that track condition?

What do you think some of your weaknesses as a driver are? Things you’re actively working on to improve?

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered why Norberg uses a Mychron 4 versus a Mychron 5!

2 Likes

Wifi? Theoretically I bet you could hack the data logger.

1 Like

He says the data is much more accurate, I forget why though

1 Like

The GPS on the 4 tends to be more accurate.

1 Like

RPG still uses eboxes so no GPS at all. Not having any satellite drift let’s them accurately compare sessions

On average, how many times a month are you practicing/testing?

1 Like