SKUSA SuperNationals 24 - Mega Thread

Billy stuck with the 175? That’s impressive. He owns this race, tho.

Honestly I’m not sure actually, I was just assuming since he’s a proponent of it.

One of the kids in discord was saying it wouldn’t be on CBS on Sunday but later, midweek.

Yeah it’s not live on CBS. It’s an edited show.

Looks like race hero shows the driver’s engine builder details. It relies on what’s supplied at entry time, but it’s something.

https://racehero.io/events/2021-skusa-supernats-xxiv/results/1073759469?ref=app

screenie:

Musgrave indeed quickest overall thanks to the 10 lb weight break given to the 175. At SummerNats the IAME was a bit underpowered; here it seems even.

Track had some overight adjustments from Wednesday to Thursday that have helped things tremendously. The main change was the location of pit entry. Practically no big wrecks today.

6 Likes

See also: AMA: Ryan Norberg

Xander is going a fantastic job in the commentating, reminds me of Joe Buck in the NFL.

1 Like

Besides KartChaser and eKartingnews feeds, any other recommendations for news/vids/etc?

Red flag in the first heat, I’m not too surprised with everything I’ve heard about the track. I figured a smaller barrier track would lead to that. I told my driver on the phone just to keep his head up and nose clean. Pace hardly even matters at this point if you’re starting outside the top 10.

1 Like

Quick off the top of my head…

SKUSA post updates of course…
Canadian Karting News
The Race Box (Alex Vernadis) might be there.

1 Like

SuperNats requires an interesting mix of smart, heads-up driving, aggression, precision, commitment, and pure luck.

You cannot get away with a mistake because off-line is so dirty and slippery and you’ll just meet the barriers. But you can’t afford to not be at 100% push all the the time because the competition level is so high.

Every time I’ve raced there I have either had lots of luck or lots of speed, never both at the same time!

Due to my kids getting into the sport, I got curious and looked up the Micro division, very heavy on Nitro Kart for chassis manufacturer. Interesting.

Nitro has a huge hold on cadet racing. They have a solid program and results to show it. The karts are just Parolins, the same as any other Parolin listed here honestly. The Nitro itself isn’t that big of a deal, but the work Nick Tucker and the team put in with the drivers.

2 Likes

Aaron is right. Parolin based cadets is what’s fast. Regardless of engine class. Nitro has formed a cult following (I mean that nicely, if that’s possible). They are doing it right. Helps to have Keelan Harvick as the face of your program too.

2 Likes

@Rdub3 @Andy_DiGiusto

I believe the DR team are really the only ones using Modena engines, though Wimsett is on a Swedetech TM.

There are indeed a couple of factory Vortex KZ’s; the ones I’ve seen have been OTK pilots, Garrison and Ramiez to be specific.

Musgrave is by far the top performing 175 in Pro Shifter, and Masters has a couple of strong 175’s in Crow and Skitchy.

Also interesting to see Greg Bell’s group utilizing power from Thierry Savard (formerly of Tec-Sav).

1 Like

I thought they were using in house “Mega Power” engines?

I’m sure Greg is still hands on, but Thierry is there under the tent, and all of their fast guys definitely have “ST Motors” stickers on the kart and engine.

1 Like

i race under the nitro tent and they focus a lot on cadets and training the drivers. I’m pretty sure the nitro frame/chassi is a rebranded mgm.
imo chassis don’t mater a ton in cadet karting

The lefty is made by MGM. Their cadet and old full size frame is Parolin made.

Chassis does matter in cadet, which is why you see so many Parolin brands versus CRG, BirelART, OTK. Parolin has had a quality cadet chassis for a while now, which makes it easy to focus on development when you know the kart is good. Just like any other class, if you don’t have a good kart/setup, you can only progress so much with your driving.

1 Like

Looks like Livestream starts at 1:30 pm Eastern.
https://www.facebook.com/SKUSA/
and supposedly here:

2 Likes