AMV oxitech vs OTK wheels

Has anyone tested the AMV oxitech wheels against OTK wheels? I saw someone else saw in a previous post they would be interested in hearing some feedback and I as well. I have the new Oxitech Tiger wheels but have not gotten a chance to test them yet since I got them. I am interested if anyone knows what these are like? I would assume an MXC? the 3F like a MXQ and the 9F like a MXL? Anyone?

Paging @Paul_Montopoli…he’s the AMV East Coast Distributor, and resident expert on the products. Their website has comprehensive info about the range of wheels:

Here’s a nice graphic they have for the range. Basically, right side indicates a wheel that makes “more grip”, left side indicates a wheel that is “more free, i.e. less grip”:

From my experience, the Tiger would fall somewhere between an MXC and MXJ, leaning more towards the MXJ. The 3F would be around the MXC/MXQ, and the 9F would be most like the MXL, but maybe even less grip? This is based on my knowledge that the OTK range goes something like this (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong):

(most grip) MXJ ---- MXC ---- MXQ ---- MXL (least grip)

Application for the AMV wheels is going to depend on category, tire, and track conditions. The 3F seems to be the most versatile, and a good mid-range. It is used as the standard wheel for GFC and Kart Republic chassis. My experience with the AMV 3F has been fantastic. One thing I really like about that wheel vs. the MXC is that the 3F has a slightly more direct front end feel, which for me gave slightly better rotation.

2 Likes

@Paul_Montopoli has laid this out before. The test he refers to doesn’t include the tiger to be fair but he does mention that there is a noticeable difference between the 3F and Tiger.

I suspect the Tiger is more suited to the harder tire compounds, like the Le Cont Red, and even then maybe only on a green track and/or when its cold.

Thanks for the heads up @Muskabeatz. Your description is spot on.

Here are qualitative results from a Freeline DF v. Tiger v. 3F test. Results:

• Tiger and DF are similar. I have also run Tiger and DF back to back and they are close. I like the Tiger for obvious reasons. :wink:

• Tiger is much freer than 3F

Evan’s Tiger v. MXJ summary has also been corroborated by several shifter drivers. Cooler temps, MXJ is likely going to perform better. Hot temps, I suspect Tiger will. This is because the MXJ, as I understand it, is a painted wheel and thus heat dissipation suffers some v. the Tiger.

Tiger usage that “I know of”:

• Italkart uses the Tiger on their shifters

• GFC uses the Tiger when they are searching for more grip

• Kart Republic used Tiger on some of their X30 karts at USPKS races at New Castle and Road America. Kart Republic uses 3Fs on their shifter karts in Europe.

A Canadian OTK team has tested all the wheels. This was with Rotax Max Evo and Mojos. I only have their anecdotal feedback but they found 9F to be the free-ist of all the wheels. They recently bought a boatload of all the AMV wheels.

I hope this helps. We will be testing this season including at USPKS races (X30 Masters). If there is a test that would like to see, let us know.

2 Likes

“Tiger is much freer than 3F”
Tiger is a rim, 3F is another rim.
Just what does freer mean in this context and how can one rim be freer than another?

This is a non-engineering explanation of what I have learned from the AMV guys.

The 3F, which has a greater outer offset and a no-spokes design, offers a different balance between grip and sliding of the chassis that allows for more sliding (“free” if you will). This enables the kart to rotate more contributing to freer handling dynamic/feeling. The wheel itself is not freer. I have heard the guys say that the 3F is less rigid than the Tiger.

The Tiger by contrast with a 3 spoke design and a more inward offset generates more grip which comes as a result of the wheels greater rigidity (spokes) and greater heat generated from a more inward offset.

I hope this helps. Sorry I am not an engineer so I can’t explain in more technical terms. I can tell you that when driving you can definitely feel the difference between the two wheels.

Thank you, I appreciate this. Have you tested the Oxitech vs non oxitech?

1 Like

Thank you, have you tested the oxitech vs normal mag amv wheels?

1 Like

I have not but the factory says, there is no performance difference between OXiTECH and gold AMV wheels. Same wheel just a different treatment – treatment and not paint, this is important. The reason for OXiTECH is that it is more durable and environmentally friendlier. Its usage by AMV is actually an interesting story.

Something that I did not previously mention is that the biggest benefit of AMV wheels (v competitors) is the heat dissipation characteristics afforded by AMV’s low-pressure casting process.

Low-pressure casting solves the problem of porosity (air leakage through the wheel) that affects magnesium wheels which in turn necessitates powder coating or clear coat painting to maintain consistent air pressure.

AMV wheels without an additional painted layer (a heat insulator) dissipate heat “better”. The advantage which is most noticeable on hot days or tracks with a lot of grip is:

• Start with a higher cold tire pressure (+.5 to 1 PSI) which provides better grip during the initial phase of the race

• Greater tire temperature stability over the course of a race which provides a more consistent tire performance throughout the race

I hope this helps. Again these are a layman’s translation of the of the principles the AMV team in Italy have conveyed to me.

So if I understand what you are saying, other brands of mag wheels that have a coating, which I assume is most if not all of them, won’t dissipate heat like the AMV wheels.

Where I am struggling to understand is the topic of grip. How can a wheel provide more grip? Or is this just another way to state better heat dissipation will equal more consistent grip over a run?

I notice you mentioned offset. Is changing spacing on the front wheels offer the same effect as changing spacing?

Hi Robert,

I would suggest that you read this page - Kart Wheels Explained. This is everything that I’ve learned from the guys at AMV translated into non-engineering speak.

Generally speaking though:

• Spokes more grip than a wheel without spokes

• Greater backspacing, more grip

1 Like

Wheels can certainly alter the feel and handling of the kart. Similar to axles, for instance, there is always going to be an ideal part for the job, considering track conditions, category, tire, and maybe some driver preference. Difference between some wheels can be rather small, but can also be vastly different depending on the models being compared.

2 Likes

Here is an article we just posted on our site related to this topic.

Matching Wheel Type to Track Conditions

A review by @Muskabeatz on the performance of the different wheel types at the 2022 USPKS season opener at Orlando Kart Center.

2 Likes

Just based on that article, it gives the impression the 9f is rarely used in North America, is that the case?

Good question. @Muskabeatz tested 9F at the recent USPKS race GoPro and I believe he liked them but I will let him comment.

Merlin used 9F exclusively in the USA. Another well-known team has tested 9F and they really liked them but wanted them in black which Italy is not willing to do as it compromises the main characteristics and advantage of the wheel. The UK AMV importer who is also the Compkart dealer uses the 9F often and says he likes the balance the wheel gives

I have had a number of Texas, GA, and FL drivers/clients switch to 9F, they seem to like them. And a number of southern cadet drivers use 9F quite a bit.

You will not believe this, but I have not tested the 9F yet. I will shortly.

Ok thats more in line with what I’d believed to be the case.

It’s certainly the wheel I’m planning to test once the temps ramp up.

The 9F doesn’t seem to be quite as widely utilized over here, which I would suppose is due to most conditions here being low to medium grip (at least with MG rubber).

The 9F seems well suited to high grip applications, and/or lower horsepower categories where the kart needs to be as free as possible.

I really like the balance of the 9F, I’ve just had very few occasions so far where the conditions have been high temperature and rubbered up track.

I have the 9F and love it. I probably use it a little early. I like the temperature control characteristics.

2 Likes

AMV wheels are the best…

1 Like

A question maybe best aimed at @Paul_Montopoli, or anyone else who’ s played with a set, but where does the standard Kart Republic wheel fit into the AMV range?

They look quite a bit like a 3F but have a 2nd set of bolt holes, which I can only imagine makes the wheel slightly more flexible, but then at the same time is on a larger PCD which would seem to want to make the wheel effectively stiffer to the hub — maybe counteracting one other?

Is the 2nd set of holes to give you twice the life if bolt holes are worn out and damaged over time?