AMV oxitech vs OTK wheels

Has anyone tested the AMV oxitech wheels against OTK wheels? I saw someone else saw in a previous post they would be interested in hearing some feedback and I as well. I have the new Oxitech Tiger wheels but have not gotten a chance to test them yet since I got them. I am interested if anyone knows what these are like? I would assume an MXC? the 3F like a MXQ and the 9F like a MXL? Anyone?

Paging @Paul_Montopoli…he’s the AMV East Coast Distributor, and resident expert on the products. Their website has comprehensive info about the range of wheels:

Here’s a nice graphic they have for the range. Basically, right side indicates a wheel that makes “more grip”, left side indicates a wheel that is “more free, i.e. less grip”:

From my experience, the Tiger would fall somewhere between an MXC and MXJ, leaning more towards the MXJ. The 3F would be around the MXC/MXQ, and the 9F would be most like the MXL, but maybe even less grip? This is based on my knowledge that the OTK range goes something like this (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong):

(most grip) MXJ ---- MXC ---- MXQ ---- MXL (least grip)

Application for the AMV wheels is going to depend on category, tire, and track conditions. The 3F seems to be the most versatile, and a good mid-range. It is used as the standard wheel for GFC and Kart Republic chassis. My experience with the AMV 3F has been fantastic. One thing I really like about that wheel vs. the MXC is that the 3F has a slightly more direct front end feel, which for me gave slightly better rotation.

2 Likes

@Paul_Montopoli has laid this out before. The test he refers to doesn’t include the tiger to be fair but he does mention that there is a noticeable difference between the 3F and Tiger.

I suspect the Tiger is more suited to the harder tire compounds, like the Le Cont Red, and even then maybe only on a green track and/or when its cold.

Thanks for the heads up @Muskabeatz. Your description is spot on.

Here are qualitative results from a Freeline DF v. Tiger v. 3F test. Results:

• Tiger and DF are similar. I have also run Tiger and DF back to back and they are close. I like the Tiger for obvious reasons. :wink:

• Tiger is much freer than 3F

Evan’s Tiger v. MXJ summary has also been corroborated by several shifter drivers. Cooler temps, MXJ is likely going to perform better. Hot temps, I suspect Tiger will. This is because the MXJ, as I understand it, is a painted wheel and thus heat dissipation suffers some v. the Tiger.

Tiger usage that “I know of”:

• Italkart uses the Tiger on their shifters

• GFC uses the Tiger when they are searching for more grip

• Kart Republic used Tiger on some of their X30 karts at USPKS races at New Castle and Road America. Kart Republic uses 3Fs on their shifter karts in Europe.

A Canadian OTK team has tested all the wheels. This was with Rotax Max Evo and Mojos. I only have their anecdotal feedback but they found 9F to be the free-ist of all the wheels. They recently bought a boatload of all the AMV wheels.

I hope this helps. We will be testing this season including at USPKS races (X30 Masters). If there is a test that would like to see, let us know.

1 Like

“Tiger is much freer than 3F”
Tiger is a rim, 3F is another rim.
Just what does freer mean in this context and how can one rim be freer than another?

This is a non-engineering explanation of what I have learned from the AMV guys.

The 3F, which has a greater outer offset and a no-spokes design, offers a different balance between grip and sliding of the chassis that allows for more sliding (“free” if you will). This enables the kart to rotate more contributing to freer handling dynamic/feeling. The wheel itself is not freer. I have heard the guys say that the 3F is less rigid than the Tiger.

The Tiger by contrast with a 3 spoke design and a more inward offset generates more grip which comes as a result of the wheels greater rigidity (spokes) and greater heat generated from a more inward offset.

I hope this helps. Sorry I am not an engineer so I can’t explain in more technical terms. I can tell you that when driving you can definitely feel the difference between the two wheels.

Thank you, I appreciate this. Have you tested the Oxitech vs non oxitech?

Thank you, have you tested the oxitech vs normal mag amv wheels?

I have not but the factory says, there is no performance difference between OXiTECH and gold AMV wheels. Same wheel just a different treatment – treatment and not paint, this is important. The reason for OXiTECH is that it is more durable and environmentally friendlier. Its usage by AMV is actually an interesting story.

Something that I did not previously mention is that the biggest benefit of AMV wheels (v competitors) is the heat dissipation characteristics afforded by AMV’s low-pressure casting process.

Low-pressure casting solves the problem of porosity (air leakage through the wheel) that affects magnesium wheels which in turn necessitates powder coating or clear coat painting to maintain consistent air pressure.

AMV wheels without an additional painted layer (a heat insulator) dissipate heat “better”. The advantage which is most noticeable on hot days or tracks with a lot of grip is:

• Start with a higher cold tire pressure (+.5 to 1 PSI) which provides better grip during the initial phase of the race

• Greater tire temperature stability over the course of a race which provides a more consistent tire performance throughout the race

I hope this helps. Again these are a layman’s translation of the of the principles the AMV team in Italy have conveyed to me.