Any tips regarding inputs or something else?

It’s not rotating in my head. This only happens when I’m filming with this heavier case (water and wind proof) and I guess the mount is located in a place that unbalance the helmet I guess. Look at these pictures

I’m definitely going to paper print this answer lol

But really, thanks for the attention and outstanding explanation of my mistakes and where to focus so I can start to correct them.

I have always advocated the importance of recording and re-watching all practice sessions. Thanks to that all these advices came out.

I’m saying this because when I’m on the track the thrill of speed and stuff gets on the way and then it’s easy to forget where you focus should or should not be at the time.

So now that you and the others pointed out the way, I’ll used my visualizations sessions to become more of a Pro-Active driver. Be more confident and less reactive to my inputs and the kart reactions.

Regarding the insecurity/weakness I mentioned in asking other drivers for help, I meant that despite being teammates, we are competing against each other, so this “asking for help all the time” creates a psychological disadvantage… I mean how can I thrust that all the tips, criticisms or compliments will be for real? Ok maybe I’m watching DRIVE TO SURVIVE too much lol

The passive vs active idea is a piece of how I view ‘sensitivity’ and it is related to several concepts: ‘perceiving speed as a liquid’, the energy cycle, the 3D traction circle, etc, which I’ve documented here:

However to make use of them, a driver must first automate their driving to the point that the have the mental resources available to direct to higher-level tasks. I call this ‘reducing the sensation of speed’ which is documented here:

http://www.intuitivespeed.com/spiral-to-speed/mental-skills/reducing-the-sensation-of-speed/

I’m not a big fan of associating progress to laps; I prefer to think in terms of lessons that must be learned. A driver should always strive to extract the lessons from their experience (track time), otherwise it’s just driving in circles hoping you’ll stumble across an insight. My learning strategy is documented here:

http://www.intuitivespeed.com/learning/initial-research/

As for the best way to expedite the process, I think that dedication to extracting lessons, combined with continual use the dynamic imagery training method I call Race Walking can help… at least it helped me (and at 61 I still race walk everywhere, every day). It is documented here:

http://www.intuitivespeed.com/training-techniques/training-techniques/race-walking/

Perhaps I got carried away by some guys I met at the beginning of my journey in karting and then I close myself along the way. I’ll try your approach! Thanks.

oh ok cuz on my old zamp i had the same issue

I make the same mistake, completely understand. I find it hard in the moment to have smooth throttle inputs.
On the coaching thing, asking makes people think you want to get better, which is actually quite the opposite of what thought they’d think. It sucks to not get input, (I find it hard to get it when I race) which is why I also ask all my questions here.
Kite thing is very disturbing… stay safe out there

1 Like

Only time ive had mine move is at speeds over 70mph. other than that it should never move.
@FSarkis see if your helmet has replaceable pads of different sizes

1 Like

has anyone ever been able to recreate sennas techniques in an advantages way? whether it be in sim or IRL.
I think the best way to look at it is the momentum, energy, and friction, in all directions.
Stabbing the throttle does a couple things, Increase rear tire speed, lower rear lateral grip, shifts weight to rear. letting off does the opposite of all that.
Maybe some of the more experienced folks can apply that to the cars momentum and energy

Or, just start beating your teammates, and you head will swell. :grin:

2 Likes

First, everyone, don’t blame me, @Bimodal_Rocket brought this throttle stuff up. :grin:

Second, I want to make it clear that, like @tjkoyen, I’m not advocating the adoption of this technique. There is a sea of evidence about what does work, and one example of a different approach, which just happened to belong to one of the greatest drivers of all time. However, there is no way of knowing if he was great partially because of this technique, or in spite of it. That is, it could just as easily have been a technique for quickly clearing up a ‘loaded-up’ kart motor back in the day, when you had to choke the carb at high revs, which eventually became a habit.

That said, when thinking about this technique, I agree that it’s important to think in the big picture regarding energy movement/momentum, loads, forces, etc. but I believe it’s also important to think in terms of timing, duration, and the amount of change generated. For example, in a 1,500 HP F1 car stabbing the throttle for 0.5 of a second +/- probably would not profoundly impact the rear tire’s rotation speed; especially when you factor in turbo lag. It could for sure transfer some load/weight rearward depending on the type of corner, but typically a tire will perform better when it is more loaded (until the point where it is overloaded), so that should actually slightly increase rear lateral grip, and decrease front lateral grip. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Third, to finally answer your question, I do not know of anyone who currently uses this technique (but then again, I’m a nobody, so I wouldn’t necessarily know). Alan Dove did try this in a simulator, and I believe it felt awkward to him.

Either what you are told is correct or it’s not. The proof is in the execution. I would imagine someone giving incorrect advice on purpose would expect you to realize their duplicity when you go to implement their recommendations.

I think it would take a douchebag or a trollish sense of humor to send someone down an incorrect path.

In short, don’t worry about it. Be open and if that is attempted to be exploited, all you will have suffered is some time spent chasing bullshit.

2 Likes

Only time I’ve told something wrong on purpose was as a joke. There are certainly people I dislike in karting, but none of them would come close to telling me something wrong in attempts to thwart my races

I was at Riverside International Raceway (CA) millions of years ago and Mario Andretti would blip the throttle in a corner 2 times per second. At the time, I thought it was a flaw in his driving technique but maybe he did it for other reasons.

Was that turn 7 in the 180 degree configuration? Sometimes throttle blipping is just a driver-applied band aid to try and get the front end of a a poor handling car to cooperate. I saw Alan Jones do the same thing in the single-seat Shadow CanAm car.

I’m pretty sure it was T6. It seems like blipping provides some additional traction feedback as to what the car might do from additional input but minimizing disturbance to the state of the vehicle. Kind of a what if. (Had to edit, using phone and driving)

Ah, yes, you’re right T6, with the big grandstand. I’m not sure about Andretti’s case (or what he was driving), but it was clear that Jones was having understeer problems, so he would aggressively trail-brake to get the car to point into the corner, and then would whack, whack, whack the throttle to kick the rear tires loose so the rotation would continue. Then he would drift the tail end the rest of the way through the 180… fun to watch! :+1:

Not that I’m Mario or anything but I have unintentionally done this throttle blipping several times in some turns. It works. Setting the kart in stages, sorta.

This is again newness. Try to look forwards when you have clear track one day, going into a multi turn complex. Literally try sighting the exit of the end of the complex as you enter. Carry that ahead thinking through the process…

As you go down straight sight braking zone, then turn attention to first apex, where you want to be. Then, quick glance back to ensure you are about to brake… brake but don’t look down at apex. Let it go by peripherally in your vision. Instead, once you have turned in, focus on the next turn in point, where you want to be after this current turn in. This is not very well explained but the gist is don’t dwell on the here and now.

Keep vision moving it forwards with little brief checks back to the here and now.

This will help you unwind turns earlier. This is a problem of mine as well so I try to not put myself in a reactive state. If you are looking ahead to your next area while exiting the turn, your arms will unwind earlier as you visually register “I go there now”. This looking out to next apex will prevent you from keeping holding turn angle in too long. You literally will see your target swinging across the horizon, like aiming down the sight of a gun. Pulling the trigger is ending the turn as your target swings towards center and initiating the counter/steer.

Also, you cannot only look forwards, or “wide”. You will get ahead of kart and you will need to reorient yourself relative to present location. The eyes need to take in each position on the track that matters to you. Once sighted, your brain remembers the location and stores it until you are past. You don’t need to fixate.

Final thing is being active visually. If you can remember to, force yourself to constantly scan.

@FSarkis

1 Like