Capture your track day

The Garmin Ultra 30 internal mic is no good when mounted up front. I tried a external mic and itā€™s better for volume, but itā€™s a cheap mic and the sound is weird. Ordered a better mic and wires and will try it out soon.

I have also put safety tethers on the camera to help with loosing the camera. I bolt what ever I can down and have switch to metal mounts instead of plastic.

Hereā€™s the video with the cheap mic. The weird sound of the mic goes away when on Iā€™m the throttle.

1 Like

Maybe thereā€™s a setting that allows you to reduce mic sensitivity? It seems like it is boosting that blippy noise.

I bought a rode shotgun mic for the ā€œstudioā€ (messy garage) a week or so ago. Could be interesting to point it at the tires or something.

That sound is pretty good except for that weird thing at idle you mentioned. Considering itā€™s at the front, the motor is clear.

That HR though :slight_smile:

Itā€™s pretty amazing how much chirping the tires do,even in a straight line. Iā€™d love to be able to isolate that just out of curiousity.

EV kart :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only had enough wire to place the external mic under the nassau to baffle it from the wind. I plan on putting it behind the seat to get more sound from the motor. Really want to capture the popping sounds when getting off it.

@KartingIsLife I did get little fuzzy covers for the mic. My own worry is having to water proof it maybe. There are probably a couple things I can do.

Also want to add a rear facing camera. Recommendations for mounting locations? On the seat back or seat braces?

Sometimes affectionately called the losercam. d:
I would say seat is going to be the easiest option for mounting and you have a nice wide surface area to work with.

Interested. Iā€™ve been following Kolmeā€™s progress with his Zero motorcycle based kart, as thatā€™s really where I want to go. The main restriction to date has being motor cooling. His latest test was limiting the output to 25KW, and I see this one is limited to 20KW with some boost amount.

I am guessing the blue bars across the top represent the individual18650 batteries?

Across the pack yes, I believe it now has 34S2P A123 20Ah pouches. Here is the ā€œbuildā€ forum, where nuxland is Kolme. Enjoy:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=68543

Not my video and I canā€™t take credit for the edit but here is our club race from last weekend:

I always forget to turn my GoPro onā€¦

1 Like

Anybody figure out where and how to better mount a GoPro (Session) on a 206 kart? Iā€™ve currently got mine mounted on the nassau panel and the vibes of the 206 mess with it just enough to make a blurry/out of focus picture. Beyond modding or fabbing a bracket to mount somewhere Iā€™m not sure where else to put it.

1 Like

That camera doesnā€™t seem to have enough motion stabilization to handle the vibrations of faring mount. Itā€™s watchable but a bit shaky.
You could try helmet mount so you donā€™t get the mechanical shaking.

Yeah the nassau, especially as you get closer to the top, moves around a bit, you could try mounting lower on the nassau. Nightime might exacerbate this as the camera tries to compensateā€¦ making the video extra noisy.

It might need a bracket to ultimately get it in a place you might like. This is where radiators are a good optionā€¦ just not for a 206. Perhaps you could modify a rad bracket in some way to make this work. You could try the engine, but when Iā€™ve done that itā€™s been (understandably) pretty shaky too.

I think for Cup Karts NA, helmet mounting is not allowed at the moment.

Just about everyone (at least the orgs and tracks I race with) have banned helmet mounting. The 206 is only engine that has affected the cam mounted on the nassau. Even the Yamaha and TaGs havenā€™t produced this much vibration. Guess Iā€™ll start experimenting with mounting options.

Yeah thereā€™s definitely a large THUD/ChuggaChugga vibration from the 206 compared to the others, even the clone. My wife remarked on this too when she first drove one, it was very noticeable until you got going on the track and up to speed.

1 Like

Has anyone toyed with trying to create a mount that absorbs vibrations? Maybe some sort of foam between the mount and the faring?

Hereā€™s my solution, no major issues with vibration although maybe I should have done a mount with a longer reach (9inch instead of the 6) my arm takes up a lot of the Gopro view but itā€™s not terrible.

Here is video from it (the front and rear facing views):
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj75Ag8BuEy

1 Like

Start with this and mix and match 1 inch ball socket arms, etc!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TWRAO

1 Like