Castrol engine oil for 206?

Can I use Castrol Edge SAE 5W-20 full synthetic engine oil to break in, and run in my LO206? Briggs says you can only use their 4T oil which I read was just 5W-20. Will it run good or would I need a karting specific engine oil? Thank you!

Briggs recommends standard 30-weight oil for the break-in. I have to break in a new 206 and tossed in the Briggs 4T oil and am just using that as break in oil after searching and finding some others who have done the same.

Another thread discussing things. LO206 Break-in Oil? Racing Oil?

1 Like

Awesome thanks! So I’ll just use that to run the engine then. I’ll go pick up some 30 weight tomorrow.

This may not mean standard automotive oil. It may mean standard mower oil. I think most lawn mower oils are non-detergent. I think detergent oil is not good for slapper motors like the LO206, and most Briggs, because the slapper results in oil foaming when using detergent oil. This is all from memory and unconfirmed sources.

2 Likes

So since they’re splash lubricated the connecting rod splashing into the oil would cause it to foam up and not lubricate properly correct?

Correct. Compared to a pressure system where an oil pump pumps the oil through passages in the engine to get it where it needs to be.

1 Like

Somehow at first I read this as Castor oil… :scream: :grin:

2 Likes

In italian castoro is beaver, so now we’re getting close to beaver oil :joy:

2 Likes

THAT was an unexpected factoid!

I got you fam…

3 Likes

Another unexpected factoid. Castoreum is the “product” exuded from the Castor sacs located near a Beaver’s rear end. It has a very strong scent, and has been used in perfume, and also as a substitute for vanilla extract in food.

4 Likes

Is it on the periodic table?

There it is!

1 Like

Hol up! But, pretty close.

I’ll take calcium deposits over beaver gland juice any day.

1 Like

Add a bottle of ZDDP to that 5w20.

1 Like