ChatGPT - Answers to Kart Questions

I thought this was fun and it gave me intelligent answers, starting with:

Question:
How does an axle effect the handling of a kart?

ChatGPT Response:
An axle plays an important role in the handling of a kart, as it helps to distribute the weight of the kart and maintain proper balance between the two rear wheels. The axle is typically located in the rear of the kart and connects the two rear wheels together.

The stiffness or flexibility of the axle can have a significant impact on the handling of the kart. A stiffer axle will generally provide more stability and less grip, making it easier to maintain control of the kart through turns. On the other hand, a more flexible axle will provide more grip and allow for better cornering, but can be more challenging to control at high speeds.

In addition to stiffness, the position of the axle can also affect handling. Moving the axle forward or backward can shift the weight distribution of the kart, affecting factors such as traction, acceleration, and cornering ability.

Overall, the design and setup of the axle can have a significant impact on the handling of a kart, and can be adjusted to suit different driving styles and track conditions.

1 Like

Question:
What is the fastest kart manufacturer?

Answer:
There are many kart manufacturers that produce high-performance racing karts, and it can be difficult to definitively say which one is the “fastest.” The speed and performance of a kart depend on many factors, including the design and construction of the chassis, the engine, and other components, as well as the driving skills of the driver.

That being said, some of the top kart manufacturers known for producing high-performance racing karts include Tony Kart, CRG, BirelART, Kosmic, and Praga. These manufacturers have a long history of success in karting competitions and are known for producing high-quality, innovative, and well-engineered karts.

However, it’s worth noting that the performance of a kart is not solely determined by the manufacturer, but also by factors such as the engine tuning, the quality of the tires, the track conditions, and the skill of the driver. Ultimately, the “fastest” kart is one that has been optimized for a particular driver and racing environment, and can vary from one situation to another.

Question:
Is a cut axle faster in karting?

Answer:
Whether a cut axle is faster in a kart depends on various factors such as the type of track, the specific kart setup, and the skill of the driver. A cut axle is designed to improve the handling and performance of a kart, particularly on tight and technical tracks where weight transfer and grip are crucial.

By allowing for more weight transfer to the outside rear wheel, a cut axle can increase overall grip and traction, which can help the kart to take corners more quickly and with more confidence. However, on tracks where high-speed stability is more important, such as on long straightaways, a cut axle may not be as effective, and a stiffer, non-cut axle may be more suitable.

In addition to the type of track, the specific kart setup and the skill of the driver are also important factors to consider. A cut axle is just one aspect of kart setup, and it needs to be balanced with other setup adjustments, such as tire pressure, chassis stiffness, and weight distribution, to achieve optimal performance.

Furthermore, a driver’s skill level can also impact the effectiveness of a cut axle. Experienced drivers may be able to take advantage of the increased weight transfer and grip provided by a cut axle more effectively than less experienced drivers.

Overall, whether a cut axle is faster in a kart depends on the specific circumstances and setup. It can be an effective modification in certain situations, but it is not a guaranteed way to improve performance.

Its actually surprisingly good haha

1 Like

I know right! Its like having @tjkoyen at my beck and call in my phone, like he was before kids lol.

6 Likes

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Isn’t that the OTK way?

1 Like

I was curious by that axle question. As far as I understand, it’s depended on which manufacturer, although now I think all of them are stiffer = less grip, but also category? I thought axles did different things in shifter vs. single speed.

KR and CRG as well, in KA racing I almost always looked for the stiffest axle either I or my driver could handle.

Question: What is the ideal squish for a KA100

Anwser:
The ideal squish for a KA100 kart engine depends on a number of factors, including the engine builder’s preferences and the specific racing application. Squish is the clearance between the piston crown and the cylinder head at top dead center, and it is an important factor in determining the combustion chamber volume, the compression ratio, and the engine’s overall performance.

Generally, the squish clearance for a KA100 engine should be set between 0.018-0.022 inches (0.45-0.55 mm) for best performance. This range allows for efficient combustion and good power output, while also avoiding the risk of engine damage due to excessive interference between the piston and the cylinder head.

However, it’s important to note that the ideal squish clearance may vary depending on the specific application and the engine builder’s preferences. Some engine builders may prefer a tighter squish clearance for increased power, while others may prefer a looser clearance for improved reliability.

It’s important to consult with a reputable engine builder or tuning expert to determine the ideal squish clearance for your specific application, and to take into account factors such as the type of fuel, the carburetor setup, and the intended use of the engine. It’s also important to ensure that the squish clearance is set accurately and consistently to ensure proper engine operation and to avoid damage to the engine.

Talking 15 years a go now but CRG used to be softer axles to have less grip :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Really fun topic Nik! I might not bother typing anything out anymore, just tell AIs to compose my answers to questions here…

It’s surprisingly good on a few things, maybe a little off on others. But definitely a fun experiment.

I especially like the last sentence for this one.

Question:
How do i stop my kart hopping?

Answer:
Kart hopping, also known as “chattering,” is a handling issue that occurs when the kart’s rear wheels lose traction and bounce off the ground, resulting in a loss of speed and stability. Here are some tips to help reduce hopping and improve the handling of your kart:

Adjust the tire pressure: Overinflated rear tires can cause hopping, so adjusting the tire pressure can help to reduce this issue. You can try lowering the pressure of the rear tires to improve grip and reduce hopping.

Adjust the chassis setup: The stiffness of the kart’s chassis can affect handling. A stiffer chassis will generally provide less grip and increase hopping, while a more flexible chassis will provide more grip and reduce hopping. You can experiment with adjusting the stiffness of the chassis to find the setup that works best for you.

Adjust the weight distribution: Moving the seat position forward or adding weight to the front of the kart can help to shift weight to the front of the kart and improve grip, which can reduce hopping.

Adjust the rear end geometry: The rear end geometry of your kart can have a big impact on hopping. Adjusting the camber angle and toe-in can help to reduce hopping. Decreasing the camber angle will help to increase grip and reduce hopping, while increasing the toe-in will help to improve stability and reduce hopping.

By experimenting with these adjustments, you can help to reduce hopping and improve the handling of your kart. However, it’s important to remember that handling is a complex and nuanced aspect of karting, and finding the optimal setup can take time and practice. Additionally, hopping can also be caused by driver technique, so it’s important to focus on smooth inputs and driving technique as well.

I was more so calling out the contradiction of more stability and grip occurring simultaneously. For sure plenty of karts these days can be tuned by way of harder axle —> less grip.

Interesting tech for sure, it will have a pretty big impact. As you can see, surprisingly close.

As for the application in the karting world, I’m kinda sad…there were tons of discussion boards in the past with awesome info that got lost as the forums got shut down over the years. This tech is highly reliant on “crowdsourcing” information, and that specific knowledge base unfortunately is lost. I just wish this tech could have kicked in only few years ago and capture all that wealth of info

Yikes, 0.45 mm squish clearance on a KA100 will put the piston into the head before it even hits full power.

Rules minimum in SKUSA is 0.041" which is 1.05 mm!

2 Likes

Nik, that’s still the case on my 2020 KT2. Softer axles give flat-sliding in that kart.

That’s what I find interesting about the technology and result, and impact to “human’s”. Just because ChatGPT can create a well worded response, it doesn’t mean it’s valid. I’m thinking I should actually delete that post as im sure someone will google “what is a ka100 squish setting” and this will pop-up (eventually), and there will be some unhappy people…

1 Like

NYT had a fascinating article about a journalist pushing the ai in a conversation.

Oddly the AI tried to get him to leave his wife for the ai.

1 Like

Question: What is the fastest way to drive a go-kart?

ChatGPT Response:
Driving a go-kart at high speed requires a combination of proper technique and practice. Here are some tips to help you drive a go-kart faster:

Stay low: When driving a go-kart, try to stay as low to the ground as possible. This will lower the center of gravity of the vehicle and improve stability and traction, allowing you to take turns at higher speeds.

Look ahead: Always look ahead and anticipate what’s coming up on the track. This will help you plan your driving line and take turns more efficiently, which will ultimately lead to faster lap times.

Brake efficiently: You don’t want to over-brake and slow down too much, but you also don’t want to lose control and crash. Use your brakes efficiently and try to brake in a straight line before a turn. Release the brakes gradually as you turn in and start to accelerate as you exit the turn.

Accelerate out of turns: As you exit a turn, gradually increase your speed and accelerate out of the turn. This will help you maintain your momentum and gain speed down the straightaways.

Use your body weight: Use your body weight to help you turn the go-kart. When you enter a turn, shift your body weight towards the inside of the turn to help the go-kart turn more effectively.

Remember, driving a go-kart fast requires practice, so the more time you spend behind the wheel, the better you’ll get. Always follow safety rules and wear appropriate safety equipment such as a helmet and appropriate clothing.

Not sure I agree with all of what it says, but it does a decent job of being thorough with its explainations.

That’s the way my KT2 is