Electric Karting is not designed to replace Combustion Engines

(Davin Roberts Sturdivant) #1

I’m so so happy that someone in the Rotax electric karting program was smart enough to say this and include it in their video. Drives me crazy when I read comments that people think that electric competition karts are here to wipe out the two-stroke, or something crazy like that.

(Andy DiGiusto) #2

I agree, however even if that was the case, I’d be interested (not scared) to see where this is going…as long as it’s fast, parity is there, batteries last enough for a full event and it doesn’t take an aerospace engineer to work on it, what would be the problem? Everything evolves, the racers will pick the most promising formula and market will follow that direction. I’d love to try one of those electric motors, that’s for sure

(Alan Dove) #3

What they say and what they intend are two completely different things :slight_smile: The MAX was just a leisure engine once upon a time, but it was popular enough to pretty much obliterate elite level karting at a national level and led Rotax to stop building race engines.

(Spencer Uzri) #4

Storage (ie. battery) limitations has been the main factor holding back electrovehicles. If mass production of high quality yield graphene becomes possible, it could be the tipping point.

As for as IC engines, I still like 2 strokes.

(James McMahon) #5

What’s been explained to me is that they can run a typical race distance, or two without issue. Granted there’s still some complications with managing the charges and/or swapping battery packs. But that’s a figureoutable.

The problem is stopping the motors from melting down.

(Marin Vujcich) #6

Check out pics from Rotax grand finals and look at the cooling rigs attached in the pits

(Spencer Uzri) #7

The ventilation directed towards the batteries leads me to think they are the weak link, though the motors could probably stand to be water cooled like a conventional ICE.

Graphene is a viable candidate to replace Li as a battery medium, but the mfging isn’t figured out yet. I read an a news link some months back about a potential fast production technique developed at MIT, but it gave no details. The hexavalent carbon ring structure of graphene has to be maintained for its properties to be realized, but the thin sheet like characteristic of its physical format makes it prone to tearing, destroying the chemical ring structure.

I could also see a breakthrough being a potential threat to the status quo, so there’s that.

(Dom Callan) #8

I suspect that in 20 years or so there aren’t going to be many fuel burning vehicles. So makes sense they are noodling around the problem.

(Warren Chamberlain) #9

Except for maybe one Red Barchetta. :grin:

(Bryan Hall) #10

Seriously though - there needs to be a major advancement in the breakdown temperature for insulation used for motor coils as currently motors simply overheat and fail. I would like that to happen yesterday, since an electric kart for sprint racing would be awesome for maintenance reasons. But sadly they are impossible to cool enough to last more than about 10 laps with current levels to match 2-stroke engines while hauling around the extra weight of batteries over C12.