Elevator pitch on shifter engines

You thinking of Rev Performance Materials?

Just found it.

1 Like

I guess you could heat the J-Arm and it a bend it a little, assuming the throw is not affected by the seat bracket behind it.

At least in the US shifter seems to be pretty niche. That being said which brands are putting time and money developing shifter chassis? I’m an OTK guy, but I don’t see them pushing or advertising shifter chassis. Big events you seem to see Magik, IPK, and Birel up front. Are these the guys putting efforts into shifters?

Go take a look at the results of the World and Euro Championships if you’re curious how the OTK chassis performs in shifter categories. :wink:

Millel was 2021 KZ World Champion on a Tony Kart, and OTK stuff is challenging for the podium or win at every major international competition for decades now.

Will do. I guess I was looking at more of the support/knowledge base over here in the US. Watching some of the previous SKUSA, STARS from last week, and ROK Vegas races I’m not seeing many OTKs up front. I’m sure the fast guys could win on anything and that’s just the team they are racing for so can probably be taken with a grain of salt. For me the local support and guys I race with are OTK so it’s a bit of a no brainer, but he is a dealer/can get his hands on GFC and some others.
I like to experiment, best thing I did awhile back was swap from Compkart to OTK. Went from pounding around in the back at GoPro to Top 5 Qually overnight. Just suited my driving better. Same when I was racing mini sprints, struggled for a year on a chassis that I couldn’t figure out. Made a chassis swap and first race weekend put it on 2nd row at the Tulsa Shootout.

The OTK will work fine in the shifter. There have been a few drivers utilizing that chassis recently, but not all that many for whatever reason. I ran a TonyKart 32mm years ago and really liked it. Very similar tuning approach to the direct drive OTK stuff.

If GFC is an alternative I know they have their formula pretty well sorted out. I would personally go with that over OTK for shifter if you have support for both in your area.

I think that’s more a matter of coincidence rather than a demonstration of the quality of the material, as certain teams cater more toward the shifter crowd and those teams just happen to support IPK or the Magik stuff.

If you have GFC supported locally, I agree with Evan that that would be a good bet too. Few know shifter racing as intimately as Gary.

From what I’ve seen, OTK mostly does well in KZ1 races where I’ve been told they can use prototype frames. In KZ2 where they have to use homologated frames they don’t do near as well. OTK in my opinion have never been the “mark” in shifter classes, the CRG built products have always seemed to be a good reference in shifter stuff. More recently the newer Birel stuff appears to be good, Magik has good shifters, GFC seems to mostly focus on shifter.

Hey Clayton, check out the most recent SKUSA event. There were plenty of OTK shifters. As for the stars event at GoPro there were only 2 OTK shifters. One being me who was at my first major shifter event and another who was at his 2nd or 3rd shifter event since coming from TaG. STARS has been dominated by Magik and Race Factory. Nothing against the chassis, I love it more than my birel but most of the time its about the Driver when it comes to shifter karts, not the chassis.

21 posts were split to a new topic: Kart Chassis Tubing Diameter\Durability Discussion (From Pro Tour Discussion)

What I’m seeing is that the ROK shifter might not just bolt up to non-OTK chassis. Is this true? Is it a frame rail spacing thing?

Some chassis have clearance issues with the engine side seat strut on the frame. The GFC you posted shouldn’t have an issue (not certain though), as they run mostly ROK Shifter. I can confirm that my old TB Kart (GFC manufacturer) fit the Rok Shifter no problem.

1 Like

I had no issues on my last two karts, on a CRG built kart you may need a different mount because they use the 90mm frame spacing.

1 Like

OTK owns vortex. The engine was actually built around the chassis so if you get a rok shifter, it will bolt up perfectly to an OTK chassis.

It bolts on just fine on a Factory or Birel too.

Looks like a rail spacing thing. If you have the same center on center as OTK it’s good to go.

The issue is usually the j-arm interfering with the engine side seat strut. Sodi karts used to require a cut and weld in order to accommodate, and some others have a very small range on the frame rails where the j-arm does cause a problem.

By j-arm i assume you meaning the shifting mechanism?

Yes, sorry I’m still wired to say “j-arm” from the old Honda days…

1 Like