Elevator pitch on shifter engines

SKUSA is the western US importer for IAME so all of their classes feature IAME engines.

Everything you’ve said so far points you directly to a Rok Shifter. Everything you’re going to say points you directly to a Rok Shifter. You should get a Rok Shifter.

I think people run DD2s because they’re contractually obligated to.

TaG-KZ like TM KZ-ES & ROK are going to have longer maintenance intervals in line with stock moto, & on top of the lower running cost, if your track is of the more technical variety, you won’t miss/need the output of the higher tune KZ motors.

I’ve got a TM K9ES & KZ10ES, & I can say that personally, I really like that they have an on board starter.

I’m really am convincing myself now. Goodbye wallet :rofl:
I plan on attending/watching the the ROK Vegas race since it’s right around the corner for me. Maybe I can snag one up then.

I’ve only seen one DD2 in my 3 years back in karting and it was an old beat up kart and chassis for someone to play around on.

Also since I mentioned weight previously… when did X30 for SKUSA drop to 355?! I knew the KA dropped weight, but ouch not X30 also. I’m old enough to run Masters for most series (31 yo), but it never has the turnout of senior.

This sounds nice. I’m sure it beats getting a push or the old sprint and jump routine.

Yep. I’m building the kart with the KZ10-ES motor now, & upgrading to a Li ion battery with higher A-hr rating to enable running the Mychron, an
electric radiator curtain
, & an
electric paddle shifter

Check out this thread on building a shifter kart

Gonna hijack this thread for a second :joy: I just got to turn my first laps in a Rok shifter this weekend at GoPro, but the clearance for the shift linkage has been less than ideal. Any solutions I should pursue to increase the clearance from the seat mount and to avoid hitting the chain, as shown in my pictures?

Longer chain. What chassis?

Praga prototype 20char

I know there’s a company making aftermarket Rok shifter engine mounts that shift the engine right a little. Gotta remember who it is, I know it’s one of Kart Chasers sponsors because that’s where I saw it.

You thinking of Rev Performance Materials?

Just found it.

1 Like

I guess you could heat the J-Arm and it a bend it a little, assuming the throw is not affected by the seat bracket behind it.

At least in the US shifter seems to be pretty niche. That being said which brands are putting time and money developing shifter chassis? I’m an OTK guy, but I don’t see them pushing or advertising shifter chassis. Big events you seem to see Magik, IPK, and Birel up front. Are these the guys putting efforts into shifters?

Go take a look at the results of the World and Euro Championships if you’re curious how the OTK chassis performs in shifter categories. :wink:

Millel was 2021 KZ World Champion on a Tony Kart, and OTK stuff is challenging for the podium or win at every major international competition for decades now.

Will do. I guess I was looking at more of the support/knowledge base over here in the US. Watching some of the previous SKUSA, STARS from last week, and ROK Vegas races I’m not seeing many OTKs up front. I’m sure the fast guys could win on anything and that’s just the team they are racing for so can probably be taken with a grain of salt. For me the local support and guys I race with are OTK so it’s a bit of a no brainer, but he is a dealer/can get his hands on GFC and some others.
I like to experiment, best thing I did awhile back was swap from Compkart to OTK. Went from pounding around in the back at GoPro to Top 5 Qually overnight. Just suited my driving better. Same when I was racing mini sprints, struggled for a year on a chassis that I couldn’t figure out. Made a chassis swap and first race weekend put it on 2nd row at the Tulsa Shootout.

The OTK will work fine in the shifter. There have been a few drivers utilizing that chassis recently, but not all that many for whatever reason. I ran a TonyKart 32mm years ago and really liked it. Very similar tuning approach to the direct drive OTK stuff.

If GFC is an alternative I know they have their formula pretty well sorted out. I would personally go with that over OTK for shifter if you have support for both in your area.

I think that’s more a matter of coincidence rather than a demonstration of the quality of the material, as certain teams cater more toward the shifter crowd and those teams just happen to support IPK or the Magik stuff.

If you have GFC supported locally, I agree with Evan that that would be a good bet too. Few know shifter racing as intimately as Gary.

From what I’ve seen, OTK mostly does well in KZ1 races where I’ve been told they can use prototype frames. In KZ2 where they have to use homologated frames they don’t do near as well. OTK in my opinion have never been the “mark” in shifter classes, the CRG built products have always seemed to be a good reference in shifter stuff. More recently the newer Birel stuff appears to be good, Magik has good shifters, GFC seems to mostly focus on shifter.

Hey Clayton, check out the most recent SKUSA event. There were plenty of OTK shifters. As for the stars event at GoPro there were only 2 OTK shifters. One being me who was at my first major shifter event and another who was at his 2nd or 3rd shifter event since coming from TaG. STARS has been dominated by Magik and Race Factory. Nothing against the chassis, I love it more than my birel but most of the time its about the Driver when it comes to shifter karts, not the chassis.

21 posts were split to a new topic: Kart Chassis Tubing Diameter\Durability Discussion (From Pro Tour Discussion)