First ventures on track post covid

There was actually a record number of people at my first race. Masks required everywhere except your own pit, and almost no spectators. The weekend didnt feel too different from normal, worst part had to be parking and pit area. Some people were 500m away from the grid area because the normal pit area was closed. Pushing a kart up a hill for 500m made the race feel easy. I was pretty happy with how seriously things were being taken

1 Like

How did your pilot do? Any footage?

In Cup finished 2nd in platinum masters (6th overall) on Saturday. Then he was sitting in the same position until about 15min to go in the Sunday race until we picked up a left front puncture.

In GTD we took a bit of a strategy gamble that worked out in our favor to finish 5th.

So overall a pretty good weekend. Now prepping for VIR. The other program is on its way to Sonoma for the SRO race.

2 Likes

You guys all well into post CoVid race seasons, I’m still waiting for mine to start! Should be end September, good news last night was confirmed we’re going to be running on the new K2H tyre :grin:

Man, karting is hard on your body. After the endurance race, Nick was so darn sore he couldn’t fall asleep till 4 am, despite being utterly conked from a very full day of racing. Me, it hit me in my upper back a couple days later.

You take a beating, over time in the karts. The contact from banging against the sides of the seat, or your elbows hitting the engine block, knees on the gas cap, etc, is relentless.

Anyways, ouch.

1 Like

No arguments there :sweat_smile:

Been a fun few weeks collecting footage :slight_smile:

Very cool. The sand must take some getting used to?

It does a bit, doesn’t take much to clear the racing line but an off line excursion punishes you.

Then the rentals go out n throw the sand back onto the line :joy:

1 Like

What do you think of this start? P6 to P3 against lighter juniors and seniors, chuffed with that. 272 is super quick, 0.35 he gave me racing room but went super wide on exit, I basically put myself on the racing line at exit forcing him to lift (the barrier closes in from the right quite quickly)

Should I have given him space to get back on line?

The footage is hard to understand because in phone it does the whole 360. I didn’t see any rubbing.

That angle is almost impossible to tell what’s actually happening (also somewhat nauseating), but if someone is trying to hang on the outside of a corner and they don’t have position on you, they’re playing a very dangerous game, and should expect to run out of road on the exit.

1 Like

Couple shots from the race this past weekend. And a tip of the hat to TJ for killing it on this helmet and having everyone come up to talk to me about it.

Was a meh weekend. Just couldn’t get the kart dialed in. But had a blast and learned a ton

3 Likes

With a lid like that, you won on style points.

1 Like

Okay, time for a little rant…sorry, but I have to get this off my chest.

Today was my first race post covid. I have been to the track several times for practice and a little testing. Then a break for chassis repair and oh yeah, had the stomach flu for nearly a week. On the plus side, I lost 15 pounds. :fist:

The past week I have been trying to get things in order. Picked up the kart after having the frame straightened as much as possible, made up the difference with eccentric pills. Went out last Sunday for a shake down. Broke the clock spring on the throttle body shaft and the ground strap for the coil. No biggie, had some parts over-nighted. Go out Wednesday the starter brushes give out and the left front Nassau panel support brakes. Over-nighted some more parts and Bob’s your Uncle and back in business. Mind you, the brush holder (small plastic piece) brakes when trying to disassemble the starter to find out what happened, but before placing my order so okay on that front.

Here is Sunday, Race Day, all is going well save a few minor details. Radiator support strut is broken that I did not discover in time for online order, but fortunately available from the Kart Shop at DKC where the race was. Props to on site Kart Shop! Got there in time to make last minute repairs and gridded 4 of 5 on a pee pick draw. I was good with that. No real time for tuning after going up in axle stiffness and all the brake downs.

Second heat was an reversed grid, so started second. Had a decent start, lost out to the inside man in third just to get rear ended into the barrier in turn 2. Bent my axle bad!!! I think the damage was worse for him. Scramble to try to straighten it, too far gone, managed to get a “comparable” axle from the Kart Shop, but struggled getting the old one out (BENT!!). Finally got it out and with the help of a neighbor, one of the shop managers and loaner tools from the Shop Tech to get the kart ready for the final with seconds to spare.

Unfortunately again, with so many hands flying in our scramble to get the kart ready, the rear sprocket never got tightened to the axle. Somewhere around lap 4 the chain blew out and I was out of action again. Don’t get me wrong, it was a heroic effort by all (Doug, Shop Tech, Adam, Shop Manager, Luke, Helpful Neighbor, Colton, fellow competitor (who found me an axle) and Myself to get the kart on track at all after such a blow. Hands were flying all over the place to get this thing back into the race. Stellar effort by all!!

I think what bugs me the most, is the guy that drove me into the barriers never came by and apologized. His front end was wedged so far under my rear bumper that I had no brakes and no steering as we ended up facing backwards after striking the barrier. He did not go out again, so I can only assume his damage was worse than mine, but before taking it up the A$$ I was holding my own…even if it was just the second corner. Look, I get it, racing is racing and at the end of the day shi*t happens. Up to now, just been used to a little more dialogue after an accident. Sorry, my bad, something…

Next race is a week away at NTK and no days off in between to shake things out. Hopefully it will be a sight better than today.

On a side note: Oscar of Illegal Alien Racing was on track today in his newly acquired VLR 100 kart, so look for a new youtube video to drop shortly.

1 Like

All that work to get crashed out. But, would you have it any other way? :crazy_face:

For everyone. When you take someone out, just go tell the person sorry. It is no fun, but really makes a difference. Just a month ago I took someone out in turn two of regional race. Bonehead move on my part. I found him after the heat and told him I know it doesn’t help his race, I know that it was bonehead, and I am sorry. You could see his frustration subside. Plus I don’t have to dread seeing him. Just do it

3 Likes

Honestly, it was the post crash heroics that keep me loving the karting community! The way so many came together to help at crunch time was AWESOME!!!

Thank You! That’s all I wanted. Stuff happens, just do the right thing and we can all move on. I may be the guy that bails you out in the future like those that did for me.

I have my first post CoVid race on Friday afternoon. #excited :grin:

Dayummmmm. Raceday gonna feel like a winters day :joy: