Forbidden Fruit (Chassis)

That could be cool. A progressive spring rate in a chassis. That might explain the use of exotic metallurgy in a kart frame. Likely why the use of some mixed alloys would lose their magnetic properties as well.

We had a pretty good outing in our Croc Promotion MC-06 last weekend.

KALO was what Todd called it when he was transitioning to the AK USA brand, but it’s not the real name. You have any questions on one, hit me up.

1 Like

I ran Crocs for 3 or 4 years, shifters, TaG, 100cc. The standard 30/32 mm Croc was a bit too stiff for 100cc class. I wanted to run the MC-06 but at that time there was too much turmoil and limited support. Wasn’t sure what was going on between Croc and AK USA. Billy Musgrave ran the MC-06 in 100cc and he was fast in it but he is so good that any kart he drives is fast. Here is So Cal, 100cc TaG Masters field is 80%-90% OTK (field size 17 to 29 karts), collectively I have 10 years experience with OTK and it is well supported here. So I went with OTK. MDG Karting is selling Mad Crocs, so there might be some support coming.

I’ve learned that a year or two can be lost with the wrong chassis.

1 Like

MC-06 was a flyer right out of the box with the 206. We’ve opted to use the MC-01 for our KA needs but will still test the 06.

Support for Croc should be good this go around as the new importer is setting ING up a good dealer network. Stu and a couple others out there in Cali, we are in the Midwest… It’s gonna be a good year in 2022.

1 Like

That color combination on the livery is hidious IMHO.

I got back in my 2009 First Kart, just threw an X30 it, and drove the pee out of it. It was like throwing on an old pair of worn-in cleats. I went .5 faster than I had lapped on a contemporary kart. It was so easy to drive that it made me decide to buy a new chassis.

3 Likes

I love it. It’s pretty loud though.

The magnetic part doesn’t matter, it’s just that there are few magnetic metals, but tons of non magnetic alloys. Some of those alloys have properties that make them faster

But nonmagnetism was specifically selected (& banned), so it’s directly or indirectly related to the desired charactetistc(s).

1 Like

Because almost all alloys are not magnetic. It’s an easy way to ban crazy materials. A magnetic frame won’t be any faster or slower than an identical non magnetic chassis

I disagree. Growing up around car racing, progressive suspension was big thing. If you could get the car to take a high speed corner with good weight transfer and still get it to dig harder under a slow speed higher load corner you were doing well. Same principal applies to a kart chassis. If you just need a slight lift to roll through a fast corner, but still have that progression not to over lift through a slower higher grip corner, you get the best of both worlds.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you think I said, but I agree with what you are saying. My point was they ban non magnetic materials because that includes all the crazy alloys that can give someone an unfair advantage

Sorry E, but those were your words. My disagreement was to that effect. A non-magnetic chassis may have a truly different effect than a magnetic one, because of its properties.

My 2 cents.

Stainless and other steels can be rendered non-magnetic by the adding Nickel. Stainless is defined as steel that has a higher than 10% chromium content.

By adding Nickel and Titanium in steel, a Shape Memory Effect is induced in steel. An example of SME are the eye glass frames that can be bent and still return to their original shape. SME material look like they have significant hysteresis in the stress strain curve, much more than regular steel. Hysteresis is somewhat the equivalent of damping, which is the effect that “shock absorbers” provide in car suspensions. We all know that the correct damping is critical to handling performance. Too little, the vehicle will bounce and too much, the vehicle will not ride smoothly over bumps on the track. A kart frame typically has very little damping and maybe by adding right amount of Nickel and Titanium in steel the damping could be optimized.

Did the Intrepid go faster with the non-mag frame?

My point was that the magnetic properties aren’t the properties that make a chassis quicker. Hence why I said identical

It was unbeatable. It just used more tyre than the others

I wonder what the comparative material & fab costs were?

Agreed. Rules are written to be simple. Magnetic requirement is a simple way to keep exotic materials out. Nothing more

Matthew – Keep me up to date on the KA100-MC06 testing.

1 Like

1 Like