Getting to grips with hand position

Hmm Danilo… Looks familiar.

Nah you’re clearly rocking 11-1, low-rider style.

Aim more for this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This topic is kinda turning into a series a great pics :thumbsup:

1 Like

9-Shifter

1 Like

Rocking a standard 9-3. My friends at work (Veloce Indoor Speedway) comment about my head stays so level compared to the other customers. The only regular who has that down is a kid that moved from karts to racing a Porsche Cayman GTS in Continental Tire SCC.

Also: the kid in front of me is going for that 8-4 by the look of it.

And hey, I’m not gonna complain about more pictures… KartPulse collage possibly?? :wink:

2 Likes

The reason I made this topic was because hand positioning is one of the first things I focus on when coaching a driver.

Most drivers who are struggling have their hands too low. This gives them too much leverage on the wheel and they end up massively overdriving the kart and yanking on the wheel in the corner. The other bad habit that goes along with this is moving your hands around on the wheel before the corner to get more leverage.

I had the same problem when I was younger. For about 4 years I drove at 11-1 because it limits your leverage on the wheel and forces you to drive smoother. I learned this watching the Margay factory drivers in the mid 2000s. Adkins, Jump, Nelson, and Stewart all drove this way. Then, once you’ve mastered that feeling, you can move your hands to a more conventional position.

I drive at 9-3 now. However, if I feel myself getting out of control on the wheel, I always try moving my hands up in the middle of the session to settle myself down.

There’s your Thursday #protip.

8 Likes

Alright!.. Now I’ve gotta wait until the offseason ends to try that out :disappointed:

@Trey_Shannon what position(s) have you used during your 24hr record runs?

On the “main site” you can upload a galleries. There’s some prettty neat ones in there right now We're sorry!
Only caveat is that the login accounts between these forums and the main site are not linked yet. But we’re working on it.

So I had my seat moved and kart rescaled, so I’m able to use the 9/3 positions much more easily now. - Fun fact :stuck_out_tongue:

I was thinking people submitting their favorite photos of themselves to use in it, otherwise there’s too many great pictures to choose from!

Use in what?

(irony is when your own 20 character limit gets you)

A collage of all the Kartpulse members to have for fun. It doesn’t have to do with the hand positions but we were posting a bunch of pictures for a while and I thought it would be cool to have one

1 Like

Is that your Kart @NikG? Noticed the Nodtune sticker on the rad. I had a Maxter FA from Don some time around 2001. Badass motor.

Yep that’s me, I ran nodtune pretty much my entire Karting career. I ran maxter in the UK but I was topkart works driver so couldn’t run maxter there.

Pretty sure it was maxter on the inside though.

1 Like

I love this idea and I think you should invite all your Karting buddies to post a pic this topic :slight_smile:

@KartingIsLife was it one of these?

1 Like

Nah I had an aircooled. It was the last aircooled iteration rotary. It didn’t scream like my DSD but it pulled better on low to mid, high mid.

I’ve slowly worked from dirt track style low rider to 10/2

1 Like

11:2 shifter !

1 Like