GoPro mounting options for karts

Just got a Hero 7 Black wondering if there are anymore examples you guys might have in mounting locations and which accessories being used.

Im guessing using those adhesive ones would be bad to use? If so which ones can you screw down ? For some reason Im not finding what I would assume is out there.

I run hero 7 on my faring mainly. I use the sticky mount. It holds just fine. Some folks put it on radiator. The vibration reduction is so good it’s fine on faring. You could figure out some sort of zip tie anchor but I haven’t lost a camera yet.

I do carry a philips head. Once you get the camera angle set, crank it down a bit with screwdriver. That will keep it from falling forwards as it loosens due to vibrations.

Top of the helmet works too if you don’t want it in kart.

1 Like

Yea can’t run on helmet … I guess mainly I was thinking the adhesive wouldn’t hold that well, but maybe so?

Well assuming your surface is clean and prepped to receive the adhesive, so far so good 2+ years. But screw down would be better. Maybe drill a hole in faring and figure out a leash system with zip tie.

Mounting it on the rad gives you a view of hands and feet which you don’t get on the fairing/nassau. However some places/series don’t let you mount there. It’s either frame or fairing. In those cases people use extenders attached to the frame behind the rad.

Man I must know those parts your using for this camera rig?

2 Likes

We tried the fairing but had too much vibration. Wound up buying a bicycle mount (handlebar?) at Target and putting it on the frame rail near the pedals. Good video, but can’t see driver inputs which is a bummer. Tried the sidepod one weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park and the rocks off the front tire destroyed the integrated case and we had to toss the camera.

1 Like

I’ve got some footage from a GoPro Hero Session mounted on the front bumper facing towards me. While It wouldn’t make the best video to watch of a race, it’s a pretty neat perspective. Also have one on my chin, but alas this was a practice session.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve tried a RAM mount off the rear seat strut which turned out okay, but the camera did not last more than 2 seasons:

Then I’ve also tried a setup like @wsalisbury3, however, I mounted off the bumper tube, and for that solution, the mount did not last. I always liked the perspective though:

The Surreal aero style mount for the OTK, Tony Kart, Alonso, Cosmic etc.
Few of us at the karting club have these and they do the job. Really well made and look good on the kart.

1 Like

We use the Cambox - love the unit as it provides exactly what the driver is seeing. We have an older unit so it doesn’t have the vibration dampening that the newer units offer. Well worth it in my opinion. We’ve learned (as has my driver) a lot from the videos.

Final cut and Adobe premier both have 360 editing, I use final cut.

My last session the adhesive on my GoPro checked out, and my GoPro went flying into the infield as a result. So I just picked up the same mounting set up as below, tomorrow will be its madian voyage. (GoPro 7 Black for mine thou)

That’s unusual. Was it the original 3m adhesive pad?

Surface prep matters!

3 Likes

Hey it was 3M. But the real problem was the curvature. Neither the flat mount of the curved one would completely adhere.

Here is a snap I just took of my new mount. My old one was on that curavture above the numbers where the two curvatures resided. More agressive curve than the GoPro mount was designed for…

Mount2

Mount1

Let me know how the seat mount turns out, I’d like to try it as I want to see my hands.

Update on the mount.

I hate it. I give it four out of five turds :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :rage:

Don’t like the camera angle being that far back on the kart, as you really cannot see alot that is in front of you. And, my GoPro flew off this mount and now I have a cracked screen

Dang thing unscrewed itself due to the vibration. Hindsight 20/20- I should have used locktite on the threads being that short. But it was pretty snug on there, so I didn’t really see it coming off. Oh was I wrong. . .

Never again.

IMG_0968

I would advise using a tether in conjunction with the mount. I use an older Hero3 Silver, but once when I had it mounted to the radiator, the J-hook snapped and sent the camera flying. After that I never trusted another mount again and have used a tether. I have the same mount you do, but still zip-tie the tether to something that will keep it from contacting the ground if it comes loose.

1 Like

I never mount a go pro without safety securing it to the mount with cable ties

Subscribe to GoPro you can replace your broken camera twice a year, no questions.