GoPro mounting options for karts

Interesting. Never had issues seeing what’s in front of the kart on that mount. Though we mostly use it to see the driver’s hands and feet for coaching purposes.

What zoom/mode are you shooting on?

I will be investing on some sort of a tether moving forward. Live and learn there . . .

I’ve been shooting on 1440 | 120 | Wide.

When I bought mine from Wally World, I payed for the extra insurance through Allstate. Being its only 6-7 weeks old, I hope they’ll cover it. I think I paid for 2 years worth of insurance.

Get yourself an aluminum case for the GoPro. It has a protective and replaceable lens cover. I have not had it fall off yet but did crack a lens and was an easy replacement.

2 Likes

Just heard back from insurance, replacement coming my way in 3-5 days. Might also replace the protective lense on this one and put it on my daughters kart. Since they didn’t require me to send them my old one back.

Dan I ordered that aluminum case you provided the link too, good stuff, thanks.

1 Like

what gopro do you have? If superview is available id use that. I mount mine right under the number plate and am able to see my feet. Radiator angle is best IMO but hard to achieve without a radiator…

GoPro 7 Black (20 Characters)

fancy you, use superview than, a little fisheye distortion but you can see a lot. all my videos use 1080 60fps superview stabalization (if you want a reference)
hero 5 black

1 Like

Anyone ever try this stuff? We use it in RC for mounting Speed Controls in an RC car. This stuff won’t let go of ANYTHING. Even after years in an RC car, you have to work to pry it off the ESC mount.

Tape alone won’t hold a gopro on a kart unfortunately as it’s just too much weight and too much vibration. I also don’t think tape would be conducive to getting a good viewing angle as the only hope of securing the camera with tape would be to tape the biggest side which would be the back, and there isn’t really a flat surface on the front of most karts you could do that and have the camera pointed in a direction to see what you’re doing.

I’ve had gopros come off my kart because the vibration was so strong it actually broke the mounting fingers off the gopro plastic case. I’ve since switched to aluminum cases.

1 Like

Absolutely. Either safety it with cable ties or a countersunk bolt with a locknut on the back and a penny washer

Okay based on some feedback here on KP, here is what I ended up with. Its the demon child between these two. Both are metal construction. Now its bolted in and hopefully won’t fly off. My only concern is the weight of that case and the vibration which might cause it to tilt downwards. (its a very strudy metal case) So we’ll have to see if this works. Also I’m on the process of triming that VLR almunium floor board to fit my TB chassis. I’m very close to having it done.

Camera3

1 Like

Nice Case! I ran my old Hero3 Silver on my front faring for years without any problems. I used an adhesive curved mount, reinforce with some small screws and nuts. Only issue I had was the camera tilting, but after using a screw driver on the thumb screw it wasn’t a problem. I switched over to a Radiator flat sticky mount, which worked well until the J-hook between the housing and base broke. Now I have a Ram style mount on the frame seat strut. So far so good. I wanted an angle that could show my hand movements as well and pedal inputs (left offset side view). I am happy with the results and picked up another one for my daughter’s kart.

Any recommendations for getting a radiator like view without a radiator? Any mounts that connect to the seat and stick out?

1 Like

RAM mount with u-bolt base.

So I will report back and say, for my purposes, that metal case didn’t work out as the weight caused the camera to fall forward and I’d be filming my front fairing.

Camera3

So now I’m running just a standard mount, although one that bolts into the fairing.

But now I have another question. Between me pushing the GP into the mounting case, or the rocks being kicked up, I am blowing through cracked lenses like its going out of style. So if anyone has a solution, I’m all ears!

Buy them in bulk
20 char

1 Like

I just use the adhesive mount on front fairing. Just make sure you tighten things up with a screwdriver and are using a cam with good image stabilization. GoPro 7 does pretty well. At times I’ve used a rear facing cam that I mount on top of my chain guard (LO206) with a drone mount as the base, then adhesive GoPro mount.

The drone mount was the type with little cable loops. I used it for vibration reduction, since I had an older GoPro.

The new odenthal mount will be all I run soon as I get my hands on it. Got one for each of the karts. Because well I’m lazy and pay for convenience.

1 Like

I have a Hero 8, and even though it has it’s own feet built in, I still use the protective housing case that they sell for it, and I haven’t had an issue with cracked lenses.

[6 PCS] FitStill Screen Protector for GoPro Hero 7(Only Black)/Hero HD(2018)/Hero 5/Hero 6, Ultra Clear Tempered Glass Screen Protector + Lens Protector + Lens Cap Cover Accessories https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MKTK9Y5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_WFC8T1B61M62J7PKZHAJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I can’t say for sure that anything’s hit the lens cover, but I haven’t cracked one since I installed this cover cover. :slight_smile: