Grilling Topic šŸ¤¤

Iā€™m upset nobody has brought up castor oil soaked pellets yet for smoking.

Tell us moreā€¦ 20 chars

Lunch is served Chez James:

1 Like

Not gonna lie, frying something with castor oil is one of many bad ideas Iā€™ve hadā€¦. Possibly lethal due to ricin.

Pretty sure I fried an egg on an exhaust once too.

Not as crazy as it sounds:

Ingesting too much castor oil can cause nausea, cramps, dizziness, and muscle weakness. Use it as advised by your doctor and donā€™t take it on an empty stomach. Because castor oil may help induce labor, pregnant women should avoid it.Sep 30, 2020

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil is the naming convention for castor oil used in cosmetics. It is produced by cold pressing the seeds and subsequent clarification of the oil by heat. Castor oil does not contain ricin because ricin does not partition into the oil.

Castor oil is not considered very toxic, but allergic reactions are possible. Call the poison control center for treatment information.Apr 25, 2019

I am guessing the karting castor oil is different from the one used in cosmetics, though.

Kp has gotten a bit off topic and unhinged but thatā€™s ok.

Nope, itā€™s all pretty much the same, as is the pharmacy grade castor oil. Comes from the same one or two places across the country. Will eventually turn golden as it ages, but Iā€™ve not been able to confirm if that affects anythingā€¦ I have some Maxima 927 that I got super cheap, and Iā€™m still burning through it when I (rarely) bother to show at the track. Odd trivia note: WW2 pilots had to beware of inhaling too much of their (true) rotary engineā€™s castor-laced exhaust fumes as it is a natural laxitive (same process by which it induces labor in pregnant women ā€“ it causes spasm of the rectal muscles.)

1 Like

Oh dear. As an aging karter I already canā€™t control my need to pee on the grid. Last thing I need is to have mid apex code browns, too.

Iā€™m sticking with synthetic!

3 Likes

1000$ Budget is quite good. You can check many of grills but I would recommend you to use Traeger Grills. They are just amazing.

I recon if a weber had more legs it would kick the Traegerā€™s ass

2 Likes

Which grill model should I choose in Traeger grills?

I realize everyone is having a bit of fun with this, but cooking at the track is not unheard of. I had a Coleman Camping Grill I used to take to the track when I crewed for my Dad in SCCA club races. Heads would turn within a 100ft radius as the smells of charring meat filled the paddock. At least 2 or 3 people would always ask, ā€œHow much for a burger?ā€

Thinking about it, it could be a way to partially fund the race weekend.

2 Likes

Checking out the Traeger siteā€¦ these look like they could be good for the track:

ENJOY WOOD-FIRED FLAVOR ANYWHERE

TOWN & TRAVEL GRILLS

Mmm. Snausages.

2 Likes

Traeger grills are also good. Green Mountain Davy Crockett Sense Mate Electric Wi-Fi Control Wood Pellet Tailgating Grill with Meat Probe is recommended from my side. You can also check some other (link removed)

Since we are here, some of us may not know what a pellet grill is. (Like me, for example).

Iā€™m not sure if I can use something with a meat probe on a daily basis.

2 Likes

It does sound like itā€™s more suited to actual cooking as opposed to waving beef briefly in front of a hot fire.

Is this what some people do all day? Peddle grills on random internet forums?

Wait a secondā€¦ Does it pay well? I spend too much times on internet forums already. :slight_smile:

Its cross-platforming. Bringing the up the search engine numbers by adding topics not normally found on karting forums. Genius!! Pure Gold!!!

1 Like

Back to the topic at hand. Now living in Texas, probably the Meat Smoking Capital of the Country, dare I say the world and having a previously acquired hunger the for smoky deliciousness of low and slow cooked proteins, let me see if I can unwind this question.

My Dad, recognizing my natural culinary talents having put delicious food in his belly for years, bought me a barrel style offset smoker for Christmas one year.
offset smoker
It was low end, leaked smoke all over and thin gauge metal made it difficult to hold heat. I hit the old interwebs and began my research on some of the characteristics of a good smoker. To break it down, there are a few things to consider when looking at any smoker:

1, Build Quality. Thin gauge metal does not retain heat well and will require more fuel and tending to keep your meat at the right temp for any extended period of time. Also donā€™t want anything that has cheap Tack-Welded hinges as it will likely fall apart after a season of use. Thick Ceramic coatings on the exterior surfaces will improve heat retention and stable cooking temps. Some feature a ceramic liner, lie at The Big Green Egg.

2, What style smoker you want can determine the results of your cooks. There are several types of smokers. The earliest type were vertical drums (think 55 gallon oil barrel) that had a fire near the bottom and meat on a grill at the top. They work fine, but for the effort it took to keep running at the right temp on long cooks, there wasnā€™t much cooking space. Then they figured why not turn the barrel on its side and cut a door out. You could quadruple your cooking space, but now the meat was right over the coals. Not so good for low and slow. Then came the offset smoker where they attached a separate fire box to one side and use exhaust gases from the fire to heat the barrel as it passed through (pictured above). This is now the most traditional method of smoking meat. Many iterations have come and gone, but probably the best improvement was the Reverse Flow setup that provided a more uniform temp across the entire grill grate compared to the previous design where smoke enter one side and exited the other.
reverse flow barrel offset smoker
Now in the age of Modern Technology, you have lots of options available to you. The Pellet Grill removes the need for tending the Smoking Source and are available in Gas or Electric heating sources with Electric being the least fidgety with their digital control boxes that maintain cooking temperature and steadily feed the smoking fuel (pellets). They even come with built in meat temp probes to monitor your cook from a smart phone or computer via Bluetooth or WiFi. The question here becomes how much involvement do you want with cooking your meat? Is it sort of Set It and Forget It?

3, How much do you plan to smoke at one time? Pellet Smokers come in the tradition offset style as well as Cabinet.
reverse flow cabinet smoker
With a Cabinet, you can smoke a large amount of meat simultaneously as it is sits on multi-level shelves. Are you cooking for a small family or it this a commercial venture? My old neighbor back in Atlanta, GA was a professional chef and the one that got me started on smoking. He had a Cabinet that he would break out when he threw larger parties. Nobody declined his invitations! Best choice is to decide what and how much you plan to smoke on average per cook, then pick a size that will fulfill those needs near the top end, but not burning extra fuel at the lower end. For example, I have a 864 cubic inch grill surface and can cook 2 18 Lbs Briskets, 2 full Racks of Pork Ribs and a Dozen Sausage links at the same time (for different lengths of time). We are a family of 3 to 5 (Immediate or extended), depending on who is coming over, so yes, I enjoy leftovers. :rofl: For me to break out the Big Boy, I would go All Out and put as much on as I can and reheat the rest for another day.

The root of the question is how much meat are you planning on smoking at one time? How little tending do you want to do during the smoke? Donā€™t get me started on the Rub!

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry what? So basically someone is putting in different content to this forum so it shows up for more search results? But who? And why? And do I sound like an old man?