Here are my Crashes from uspks at GoPro

#1: pls no punterino

#2: sometimes you have to lift to fight another day. Even after the contact a lift would have straightened you out. Instead, even after you were on his chassis, you kept accelerating, with predictable results.

Easy to criticize from the Internet, mind you.

I watched the unedited footage you posted and it looked like you were doing ok. The thing I noticed is that you were somewhat overdriving in the 100cc. Just a little bit you could feel the pushing as you were trying to catch up. Your line looked better as did your use of the track. It’s just that you were slightly late to throttle consistently. That is likely you needing time on the more powerful engine.

PULL FLAPS: the unedited footage I watched was a previous race, disregard.

1 Like

ok thanks for the tips i just went to fast on exit and didn’t expect him to be going so slow and just went over him it was still my fault i will post some unedited clips for the race later today

“ok thanks for the tips i just went to fast on exit and didn’t expect him to be going so slow and just went over him it was still my fault”

Yup but you made a decision to depress throttle. You went inside to pass a dude on entry in braking zone. This means you are taking the corner narrow, which means you won’t be able to carry as much speed through the corner. I would imagine that since it was a busy race, it was a bit overwhelming and your attention/vision probably was about 3 feet in front of the kart. Eyes up and look through the turn

1 Like

thats pretty much what hapend i was paying attention on they driver on my outside and the people going 3 wide in front of me so i would se if a crash was happening so i could avoid it and i didn’t really notice the driver in front of me

PSpend your day thinking about how you see. Go wide and then go narrow. Pass people walking, race.

I cannot state this more clearly: look through the turn at approach, note the apex as you prepare to brake then MOVE ON attention-ally. You have now locked this into your brain… your mind will get you down to apex. I will see the apex flash by peripherally as confirmation but I am NOT looking at it or anything else directly in front of me. I am looking wholistically at the whole picture, always.

Within that wholistic look is progressively further ahead peeks. Here’s a breakdown from a while ago:

As I approach complex I take a broad view of the complex coming down the straight.

As I get closer my attention switches to A. This tells me it’s almost braking time.

As I get ready to hit brake I first look and lock in the apex B.

Brake, attention shift to B stays there until I am content the turn is on track.

However, Just prior to turn in, I did a quick attention shift to C. I want to lock in the rubber patch I want to end up in as I swing into E.

As you are right on it or just before first apex, attention goes back to B, but split second just to confirm not wide. Immediately back to C.

Here’s wher your head swivels. As you come around through C, you are looking ahead briefly to see the island and rubber patch at E. But just a glance and immediately look out to the exit of the complex D.

As you go past C, having briefly glanced through E to H already, your head is turned to the right locking in distant exit up to right.

You go through E not seeing left. I deliberately DO NOT want to focus on the left side of track at all. So, I look thru the E turn, see H, look to exit, and get on gas as early as possible. Zoom.

Right before I pass H I am looking briefly at I, lock, then move focus uphill to exit.

I cross H looking uphill to left J.

So basically I am looking broadly at a complex. I get specific as I approach each turn. However, at turn in, I am already looking to where I need to place myself next.

I play this game of trying to keep my information coming in early and forwards rather than reacting to the apex as I get to it.

Through the entire thing, I am constantly aware of where I am relative to the distant exit at the top of the hill. That is where my eyes go if not locking in points of interest.

Does any of this make sense?

All the time, keep your brain and eyes moving forwards. You have to train this, it’s not natural at first. Your self preservation instincts “narrow” your attention to immediate things which leads to crap driving. Get in sim and try to learn this without crashing into walls.

More along same line:

Sep '19

@Bobby That’s an interesting question. It’s my next turn, actually. Let me find it on video. I think you always need to be looking for the way out, personally. Do you mean a blind turn like the one at top of hill?

Blind corner

Sep '19

Top 2 pics: When I see this it means I am ready to turn. Brake at strip. Eyes quickly to locate tip of apex as it becomes visible.

Bottom 2 pics: I have turned into apex but my attention shifted to the distance to locate the track that is obscured.

I am not looking left at the outside of the turn, I am looking ahead. I most likely shifted attention just prior to turn in to inform the turn in.

I don’t have time here to gaze down at apex. It’s too fast and I need my eyes on the distant exit to keep narrower out.

Drive it out! :checkered_flag::racing_car::checkered_flag::racing_car:

FYI this is all happening in under 2s. It’s a matter of training yourself once you start knowing the track.

1 Like

The specifics of this aren’t important, Oliver. Grasp the larger idea and make it your own.

Winter is coming. It’s probably a big ask of parents given all the racing you’ve gotten this year… get a rig and kartkraft. As an amp regular you have the ultimate training tool available.

1 Like

The first video you got crashed into. That sucks. :frowning:

The second video, you crashed into the guy in front of you. Looking ahead to read the traffic ahead of you better will help with that. (Sometimes shit happens, but at least from my point of view, I had been watching that pack ahead and said “He’s going to hit him, if he keeps going.”)

It happens. More seat time and practice reading traffic will help. Maybe some time at some indoor tracks too, to practice reading unpredictable traffic.

1 Like

Once you get to driving age in a few years make sure you apply this there as well. You will be a better daily driver. With that said work it backwards as well. Use that time as practice for your eyes as well when cornering. You don’t need to be speeding or pushing the limit to practice.

1 Like

Was that the starting lap. It looked like a situation where the corner was much slower than normal because of traffic of the start of race. If so it is an easy mistake to make. You get used to a certain speed in the corner and suddenly with traffic things are slower. It looked like at the beginning of braking you are about 5 kart lengths back and by mid corner, bam.

As I say. Apologize, learn, and move on. Also remember when someone does that to you, they are learning too.

1 Like

Ah… Good ol’ turn 8! It’s either there or Turn 6 that is guaranteed carnage. You really have to tip-toe through those on the first lap to survive.

Did you just get punted coming onto the backstretch?

1 Like

in the first crash someone crashed so i slowed and raised my hand but the driver behind me didnt react in time and hit me

Gotta watch out for those guys or gals out there trying to win practice. Sucks getting looped in a practice session.

1 Like

How does quali work in these bigger events? Is practice / quali merged together on fri am?

1 Like

Last session of practice on Friday (happy hour) sets what order you roll off for qualifying. Saturday morning is a standard 3-5 lap qualifying session depending on track.

on friday its practice and happy hour. saturday is a 8 minute practice followed by a 3 lap qali and after that is pre final and final.and sunday has the same schedule

1 Like

Thabks both of you :surfing_man:‍♂:surfing_man:‍♂

Just curious about others, but has qualifying order ever matter to you? From my dirt oval days (late models & sprint cars), it was normally set from a pill draw. It hasn’t seemed to affect me in karting thus far either. At least at my home track, everyone has enough space to breathe where you shouldn’t catch the guy in front.

I think being around other karts that have a similar pace as you helps. Catching someone or being passed by someone in the middle of a flying lap sucks. Ideally you’re giving yourself just enough room so that you can reel in the kart ahead of you and take advantage of as much draft as possible, without actually catching them. USPKS also allows you to push one another during qualifying, so at tracks like New Castle having a good drafting partner can be huge. Also, if the class is big enough qualifying is often split into two or more groups with the faster groups going out last. This usually brings the advantage of having a slightly better track to qualify on.

2 Likes

Agree with Jake. It sucks if you have an issue in happy hour and get put with a group of karts that are slower than you, and you catch them on your qualifying run. Keep in mind we are talking fields of 20-30 karts on the track at once. Much easier when the field is separated by speed.

Also Jake, you aren’t actually allowed to bump draft in qualifying, I hope you weren’t… :wink: Normal drafting is okay but pushing will get your best lap deleted.

1 Like