How do you Transport Your Kart? [Pic Topic]

Only other thing I’ll add is that the kart makes your car/garage smell like gas, and karts are messy with dirt oil etc. Unless you’re fully draining/cleaning every time, I wouldn’t want to be storing that in my bedroom.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the replies everyone! That makes sense, didn’t think about the room smell. I mean I actually wouldn’t mind it, but others will :joy:

So I guess for right now I’ll play it by ear. You are right about one thing: college and working towards my career is my main priority, karting was something I wanted to do as well. I guess for right now, probably for my first year, I’ll focus on rental karting and maybe a couple arrive and drive LO206. If I’m able to get the kart and trailer in the garage, then I can consider owning kart, but we’ll play it by ear :+1:

I’ll just add one more thing. As light and small as karts seem they are not that small and not light. Fitting it in a car maybe, fitting it in a dorm room, I don’t think so. It would always take 2 people to move it around. Also, in addition to the kart is all the support items (tools, fuel, etc), it all takes up space.

2 Likes

Getting back to the original thread topic :-).

I bought a 4x6 utility trailer w/ ramp from Lowes, and streeter dual kart stand to transport 2 karts in tow. If I take just 1 kart, I still use the bottom half of the kart stand, otherwise it won’t clear the sides of the trailer. Takes up less garage space than a car, and the whole setup is light so it doesn’t put too much strain on my tow vehicle (an older minivan). Kid kart fits in the back of the minivan, so I can transport a total of 3 karts.

3 Likes

How do you strap/secure it to the roof?

I already posted this in another thread, but here’s mine (again):

Folding shelves can hold a 2nd kart, or even double as benches.

Even replaced the factory swivel tie down rings up front with swivel Etrack. The aluminum siding & front floor plate finish it off (cutting & matching that front curvature was fun).

All accessories are removable. 2 karts can be transported, 1 on the floor, & a 2nd on the bilateral folding shelves (which can also double as seat benches) mounted on the vertical E-track. A folding workbench is mounted on the right (will mount on either side) & folds out of the way; removable tire racks are mounted at the top of the vertical E-track. Additional horizontal E-track is mounted up front, with 2 swivel E-track format tie downs installed in the front corners of the floor that replaced the OEM tie loops.

PVC mat on the floor & ramp, with aluminum L trim on the sides, & aluminum plate in the floor at the nose to clean up the floor-wall joints, & additional L trim on the sides of the ramp to protect the edges. Transition flaps at both ends of the ramp are a must.

1 Like

I used ratchet straps I think. Definitely not best practice. But done safely it can get you started.

That’s really dang clever there @Pedals !! Looks sharp, too.

So I bought this yesterday…

1995 Toyota LiteAce Super, imported from Japan (RHD), 5-speed manual.

It SHOULD fit a kart just fine, but we will find out. Going to fully kit this out as a compact karting van if it works. And I’ll document everything.

If not, I feel like I can play with it for a while and sell it pretty easily. At the price I got it for, I couldn’t say no.

7 Likes

OMFG yes! Yes yes yes!
Is it RWD?

1 Like

Yes, RWD. I really wanted a 4WD version but they’re basically double the price and super hard to find in nice shape.

2 Likes

Bring that up north in the winter to the track :joy:

I could rip donuts around the ice track!

2 Likes

Yea, so if you could just drop that off at my place on your way home, that’d be great.

That’s going to be a sweet kart carrier. Way cooler than the Dodge you were planning before.

1 Like

Does this fall under the classic car category for importing? Or is it good for us market? Recently a bunch of car folks got screwed by the govt changing the rules (imports) and now their cars are non-road legal. (Think it was outside of USA tho).

It’s a ‘95 so it falls under the 25 year rule. 90s Japanese stuff is hot hot hot right now. I’ve been watching things like kei cars and some of the 90s sports cars and trying to convince my wife to let me make other “investments” too.

Some kei car prices have doubled in the last couple months. Vans are getting more expensive too as the “van life” craze continues to peak. 90s import vans built out into campers are 20-30k in some cases now which is kind of nuts for a run of the mill 25 year old van with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

I’m glad I’m among fellow enthusiasts here, my wife thinks I’m insane and she says it looks like a hamster.

2 Likes

Wow the “bed” is so flat and square. Are you sure it’s RWD? :grin:

1 Like

Very curious to see how this works out. Kart transportation is still something I’m working on figuring out. This looks awesome

1 Like

What’s the opening width?

I looked into a transit connect and for the cost of everything it made more sense to just build out an enclosed trailer.