How do you Transport Your Kart? [Pic Topic]

This is the trailer I am talking about ($350):

…and Uhaul sells a hitch kit for $205 + $50 install (based on a 2014 Accord):

So for half the price of Track Storage for one year or less than two arrive and drives, you can just buy your own trailer. The trailer folds up, so it can easily be stored just about anywhere.

I’ll give it some thought, that idea sounds good, do I need a specific license to drive with a trailer?

I’ll see if my parents are okay with it, otherwise I’ll just stick with rental and a few arrive and drive. If I can’t transport kart, doesn’t seem worth it to just leave at a track and pay more money

No license needed. Just be careful. Something that small won’t be too difficult though.

Here is how I would present it if I were you…

“Hey Mom, Dad, you know I am pretty dead set on this whole Karting thing. I have been running the numbers and it doesn’t make sense to waste money on Track Side Storage, nor does it make sense to throw money away on Arrive and Drives. Sure, I may get a little extra support from a Team, but the Karting Community as a whole is pretty supportive of each other. Plus I can get some Hands On mechanical knowledge about how everything works and what changes affect what. Paying someone else to do it for me kind of takes the fun out of it. Even if I make mistakes, its still knowledge gained. That’s Priceless!!! Now I know it may be a little inconvenient, but I found a Compact Trailer option that literally folds up and can be tucked away in the corner of the garage. Based on the Costs, it far outweighs my other options in terms of Expense and Allows Access to a more Diverse set of Tracks to run and Learn. If all else fails, I can Re-Sell everything and Re-coop most of my Investment with a Minimal Loss. I suspect it will pay in Dividends, but that Safety Net is There. What do you say? Could you spare a 2ft x 5ft spot in the garage for me?”

So I tried to put some emphasis on key words by using Capitals to encourage you to do the same. Parents love to hear their children are thinking beyond the end of their Game Controllers and actually putting some thought into the Cost and Value of what they are doing. It may not sell them at first, but given a little time they may come around. If they think you are serious enough to do this with or without their help, they are likely to end up supporting you. I think a lot of parents worry Karting may just be a passing fancy and in a few months time your interests will change and everything will fall to the wayside. You could also try to pull the old “Father Son Time” card and ask your Dad to “Help” you at the track. I bet once he gets a taste for it, he may want to join you. :rofl:

1 Like

Towing is fairly easy, make sure your lights work and setting up your car hitch is a little trial and error. Try to keep the trailer fairly level or slightly lower in the front. About the most important thing with towing is having the proper amount of tongue weight (how much weight is on the hitch) it should be around 10-15% of your total weight. This video shows what happens if you have too little tongue weight.

5 Likes

@da_sniffa32

I’m going down a similar route to you, planning on stuffing my kart in the trunk to get started. Here is a pic (from somewhere way up higher in this forum) of someone doing it in an Audi A4.

I myself have an A6, so I might JUST be able to get it in my trunk with the axle still attached (hubs removed), but will most likely have to remove the seat, definitely remove the rear bumper, side pods, and drop the steering down out of the way. I’ll have some room for various stuff, but will probably also be putting stuff up on roof rails or in a ski box.

Your car there with that very narrow section, you may be totally screwed. Let’s say we took a completely bare chassis, and you slid it in backwards. I think the rear frame rails might fit (can someone please answer this, I don’t know the width), but then the seat supports might get in the way and prevent you from sliding it in.

Good luck whichever way you go, I hope you get out on the track this year.

1 Like

Really like the script you wrote here, whether it will work or not I don’t not know, since I do not how they’ll take the whole kart thing :joy:

But a trailer could be a good idea, trying to think if we’ll have room for it though since our garage isn’t the most organized. Before I even decide to purchase a kart, trailer, and everything else, my parents did say they wanted to say what it was like first before I go all in, which makes sense, so I was going to do at least one LO206 practice session and arrive and drive before I actually go racing with my own kart. Honestly, if my parents don’t want me to keep my own kart at the house, I can drive rental for the first season and 1-2 LO206 arrive and drives until I move to on campus so that way I will be able to get the trailer and kart and everything else without the need to worry about placing stuff at my parents home. If they’re okay if it, then great! But I gotta try it first before I go all in and see how much time I’m going to have for it as well with college and other things

I saw a picture of the trunk of an A4 and it does have the narrow section like the Accord does. We’re going to need our own car at some point, probably lease, so I’ll make sure to look for sedan’s with wide trunks :joy:

@da_sniffa32

I really like @GregF’s advice here. I’d keep working on your parents to try and find HOW you can get it done. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. If you really want to go racing, you’ll find a way. I was in the same shoes, as were many of us who have made karting a part of our lives. You never know, once you break into the sport and show some commitment, they may get behind you and support some of the financial burden.

A few things I’d re-emphasize from what was already stated in some earlier responses:

1. Take the time to hunt for deals. Whether for kart/motor, trailer, transport vehicle, etc., there are always good deals to be had out there. It will make a difference, because that way you won’t be completely depleted when unexpected karting expenses come up…and they will, believe me.

2. It’s going to be very difficult to get everything you need into a standard sedan. A wagon is possible, an SUV is better, and a truck can do just about anything. I regularly transport all of my stuff to and from the track using a truck and no trailer.

3. A small trailer will make your life easier if you’re able to find and use one. Even if it only holds your kart, that will allow you to get everything else you need into your car, though it might turn into a game of tetris.

4. I wouldn’t waste your money on arrive and drive programs right out of the gate if you’re that tight on funds. Especially for the 206 category, since you can find a chassis and engine for so cheap. Find a cheap, but usable package, get your feet wet, and then reassess the arrive and drive option once you have some base level experience.

5. Maybe helping to organize the garage can be a bargaining tool to help you get some space for your stuff?

2 Likes

If and when you do go all in with Karting and end up moving on campus, you could always look for some cheap self-storage places. 4 ft wide by 6 ft deep would be plenty of room to store the trailer, the kart vertically and any tools/spares you needed. Problem is when you are a full-time college student, its hard to focus on your classes and be able to work enough hours to afford the extra expenses. I remember when I was in school, I worked 3 part-time jobs. One on campus at a coffee stand (free coffee) during the day, another off campus at a liquor store (cheep booze) in the evenings and the third one at a auto repair shop (discounted parts to keep my beater rolling) on weekends. I actually picked up a lot of automotive knowledge working there and ended up making a career out of it. Funny where life takes you sometimes.

That’s why part of me was wondering if buying a kart was the right move, I figured yes, even if I only raced 4 times in the year, cause I could always resell the kart and trailer afterwards. And I was actually thinking about sneaking the kart in the room, my friends said that I probably could, since they don’t really monitor the rooms :joy:

But what’s your guys thoughts: should I still buy a kart even if I don’t race that many times a year due to studies? I was thinking at least 4 races a year, and then other races whenever I could.

I’d skip kart ownership until you have a place to store it and can afford the care and feeding of the kart. Not only do you have to buy the kart, you have to buy track time, race fees, gas, oil, tires, and parts that will get busted. Realistically, how are you going to get a 4’x7’ karts into your dorm building and then where are you going to put it? Wait until you can move off campus and rent a house/apt with a garage. Or race rentals until you graduate, get a big boy job and then you can buy a kart without trying to stretch every last penny.

I can understand that, so you’re suggesting that I stick with rental karting and maybe a 1-2 lo206 arrive and drives?

I’m sort of in the same boat as you, but I’m a condo dweller saving to buy a house with a garage. I may do one arrive and drive just to see how an lo206 feels. I’m perfectly happy to drive/race rentals and do sim racing for now. Arrive and drive is a lot of money for relatively low benefit from my middle-class perspective.

Think of it in terms of hours you have to work to cover the cost. Arrive and drive is, what, $350 on the low end? At $10/hour you’re working 35 hours for one track day, and that’s before you count taxes. That buys a lot beer, weed, pizza, ramen, and condoms.

At your age, you’re (probably) not going pro so there is no rush to race real karts. If you study a major that will set you up with a nice salary you’ll be able to be your own sponsor for the rest of your life!

Screw that! Ignore the Neigh-Sayers!! Regardless how you proceed, when you own your own kart, its yours. You can use as often or as little as you like and take it where ever you like. Even if it means parking lot practice at an abandoned lot somewhere. Who cares? Beyond the initial Buy-In, it is relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain, especially at the Club Level. You will get far more track time on an Owned Kart versus a Arrive & Drive or League Kart for the same money spent.

From my recollection of dorm rooms, there is zero chance you would pull of kart on campus housing. I could be wrong but any single room I had was tiny and any roomie would eventually get pissed.

Well I would be rooming with friends so they all said they wouldn’t mind, also there’s 4 bedrooms for 4 people. I honestly could fit it probably, but of course it’s not the most ideal plan out there.

I think it all comes down to being able to transport the kart. If I can get a trailer and get a kart, knowing I can resell both, and not spend too much on it, then it makes sense to buy a kart. But until I move on campus, if I’m not able to get a kart or just a trailer for that matter, rental karting it is.

I don’t know where I were storage the trailer though, I guess at a storage center. How much are storage centers and are they affordable? I’m assuming I would need a 5x5 room if the trailer can fold up, so the majority of storage rooms I see are around $50-$70, which isn’t ideal. I could also just stick it in the woods where no one can find it :joy:

Would I be allowed to place the kart on top of the trailer in the storage room? Would costs be affected?

If you have a garage, a kart can be stored vertically, and a folding trailer can also be stored vertically, so both may fit within a “normal” parking spot even with a car there. If you can’t do that, then another “crazy” alternative is to winch it up to the ceiling. Here’s a random example from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha0DiyERKdU.

Personally, if I had to pay for storage, it’d kinda defeat the purpose – the whole point of LO206 is low cost. Sure, LO206 is faster than rentals, but not by a lot, and not at 4x the cost… I might recommend rental leagues at least until you’re winning them, plus arrive/drive/practice sessions of a faster 2-stroke for crazy fun if that were an option.

So that would work, it’s interesting that we’ve talking about this subject here because today my parents decided to clean up the garage. That could be possible, worth a shot.

Ok yeah no my parent’s will never let me do that :joy:

That’s what I was thinking. But if were to go on campus, where would I put the trailer or the kart. I have the slight possibility of placing the kart in my room since there will be four bedrooms and I will have one by myself and all my roommates would be my friends, so they’re already aware of this potential stunt. But I wouldn’t be able to put the trailer in the room (at least I really don’t think so), and leaving it in the parking lot doesn’t sound like the best area. I’m wondering whether they have somewhere I can put it, I’m planning on asking them when I get the chance. An extra $500 does seem like a downer though if I have to put kart in storage, but it’s definitely cheaper than storage at the track.

Okay, I’ll be that guy & suggest maybe consider delaying buying a kart & prioritize finishing college instead. The circumstances you’re describing vs the logistics involved in kart ownership don’t mesh, IMO. Personally, there’s no way I could have enjoyed running a kart while I was attending college. There’s enough going on just managing course load work (What’s your major?), then stack on trying to fit the responsibility of maintaining & storing a kart & dealing with any potential security issues if it’s being kept in a public facility environment… I’m just not seeing the fun in that. But that’s me. OTOH, if you have a home garage, then I guess maybe you can swing it.

Personally, I only ever had enough coin + time for tuition + books + gas + basic necessities. Recreation at this level for me was off the table.

1 Like