How do you Transport Your Kart? [Pic Topic]

Ok I just realized a flaw to my already very flawed desperate plan.

So I checked online and it said most karts are around 52 inches wide, now the trunk is 55 inches wide (approx) in the front but as you can see it pinches in a bit, so the chances of my fitting the kart aren’t great (as already mentioned by all of you :joy:) If I stripped the kart completely so that it was pretty much just the frame and all the other parts in the trunk, would it fit? The indented part of the trunk is around 38 inches. I can fit stuff on top of frame, in the space in the backseat, and the shotgun, just shoving it in.

Also, how long does it take to assemble kart? I would get to the track an hour and a half before first practice, so could I hypothetically assemble to kart in that time period?

Trying to be creative here :joy:

I work for the Service Department at a Honda Dealer. I know these cars inside and out. Even if you could manage to wedge a kart in through the trunk with the seats down, where are going to put everything else. Biggest space stealer is the Kart Stand, then there are Tool Box(es), Air Tank, Fuel Jug, Spare Parts, Cooler and maybe a Pop-Up Tent. I can barely fit all that in the bed of my truck with the Kart on a Trailer. Seriously, save yourself the headache. U-haul sells and installs hitches for under $300. I know they make them for Accords, I’ve seen them.

Maybe we should start a side thread, “What do you take with you to the Track?”

1 Like

Its not that I can’t, its my parents won’t let me :joy:

I was planning on tent or cooler, but I was thinking putting the spare parts in the space between the front and back seats, place tool box, fuel jug, air tank in space in the shotgun with the kart stand under the frame.

My goal is to make this as cheap as humanly possible so that my parents don’t get concerned with me splurging cash and so that I don’t get concerned about splurging cash lol

The other option is to leave the kart at a track but the problem with that is that I’m only limited to that track and it costs $100 a month, which adds another $1200 for the year.

I don’t mind sacrificing comfort and ease, as long as it’s possible :joy:

So is there a way I could fit the kart by disassembling the side pods, wheels, and steering wheel thing (picture above, still don’t know proper name), and axles so that I can fit the chassis in the 38 inch space and assemble it at track?

Get a trailer hitch on your car. Its a good investment to have one anyways. Check out Etrailer.com for one. They are not all that hard to install. Than search Craigslist and Facebook for a 4’x8’ trailer. They can be had for a for under $500.

If you make smart decisions on your purchases, you can always resell everything for close to what you paid.

I understand the trailer idea, and I like the idea, but I have no where to put it and my parents aren’t going to put in the garage. That’s why I’m trying to figure out whether I can somehow shove it in the car or not. I get that it’s really inconvenient compared to a trailer, but as long as it’s possible than it works for me.

The other two options are:

1. Use the SUV, but it is old and we’re trying to not put too much mileage on it cause it’s, well, old. Also, I talked to my dad about and he seemed hesitant, not against, but hesitant about using the SUV.
  2. Arrive and drive, I have talked to someone and he said the rates were $300 for the kart not including tires and entrance fees. Not the best deal, but not completely awful, I would however be restricted to much fewer races.

So worse case scenario, back to the $1,000,000 question: is it possible? :joy:

By the way, thank you guys for taking the time to consider the feasibility of this hilarious plan

I honestly don’t think it’s possible to bring all the necessary equipment you would need. Even if you are bringing a bare minimum (kart, stand, tools, fuel), it almost definitely will not fit. Not to mention other necessities like a canopy that make a warm day at the track much more bearable. I’ve tried this in a much bigger SUV and I had to take a second car with me. I don’t mean to sound pessimistic, Im just giving my 2 cents based of off my previous experiences.

So even the SUV idea isn’t possible? In that scenario I wouldn’t have to disassemble, just take off the wheels and side pods

An SUV would be a much more plausible option. Just make sure you have someone to help you load/unload the kart from the car.

1 Like

Ok here is my new revised plan. Let me know if this sounds reasonable (at last):

1. I use the SUV to transport my kart
  2. If I can’t use the SUV, then I do the arrive and drive program with the race team I was talking about, but will limited to an annual budget of around $2000, which will give me around 4 LO206 races and 4 rental league races, or 5 LO206
  3. I could also keep kart at track and race only on that one track for 8 races, I’d pay around $800 for entrance fees and fuel (fuel costs $5 per gallon at track) and $1200 for kart storage, plus two sets of tires, another 500.

So basically, I want to race with my own, but arrive and drive sounds better if I can’t use the SUV to transport.

Any thoughts? Also, out of curiosity how much does it cost to have someone transport the kart to a track and back?

Is there a rental series you could focus on for year 1? That would entirely change the transport issue. Also, if it’s year 1, and there’s a good rental league, you will get as much or more out of that.

It’s not as exciting as owner karting but it’s cheap and effective (for fun and leaning how to race). Or at least, it can be, if folks are there to race, not crash:

There is a rental series for fall and spring, so I don’t mind doing that, but at the same time, I kind of want to be involved with the whole set up of the kart. It’s not just the driving I’m interested in, but also the set up and the stuff that happens outside the race.

I know I’ll be limited, but I at least want to do a few LO206 races and mainly focus on rental if I dont own kart

Gotcha. Hope you get the folks on board.

Eric does the track you run at have kart storage or is there any storage nearby?

Kart track does have storage but I don’t really want to be restricted to just one track and pay $1200 a year when I can avoid it. There are storage facilities that are cheaper, but it doesn’t help me if I can’t transport it to the track.

I don’t really think driving on just one track is worth it when I’m paying an extra $1200, even if I have my own kart, what do you guys think?

I thought you had the accord wagon… yeah good luck with that. Just buy a small open trailer for like $600 and youll be happy to not have to tear apart and rebuild the kart every race.

Words of a true college student…

Is it possible… maybe. Spend the time you save by using a $450 trailer to make that money back at a job. small trailers will fit anywhere, You could fit it through a doorway if you wanted to. Ive seen them stored outside with a tarp covering it. Best bet is just try and fit your kart in your car and see what happens

rent a trailer or truck for cheapo money
Deoending on your local teams you could store you kart at their warehouse and have them transport it but you bring your tent and tools, would be cheaper maybe

If I’m able to do that and if it isn’t too expensive then that could be possible. I have a feeling though that warehouse and transportation prices won’t be too cheap. I could be wrong.

Obviously rates are different but the cost of a mechanic, transportation, storage, tent space, etc is around $400 a race for me