How is your trailer setup for Karting?

16 x 7- added cabinets over the winter.

1 Like

That’s amazing ^. Is that … air conditioning?

A little off-topic, but has anyone relied on medium-size vans to transport their kart, e.g. VW Transporter, Renault Trafics, Ford Transit Customs?

I’ve bid my trailer farewell after moving into a new garage that’s forced me to look into vans. Would love to hear how people load their chassis into the rear cargo space. I imagine I’ll need to get creative to keep my chassis above the rear wheel arches?

That is basically my vision

Thank you! And yes, that is A/C. And its going to get a work out this weekend in Georgia.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Basically just LED lights (powered with lithium batteries of course) :slight_smile:

1 Like

where did you get those?

1 Like

I have a Ford E-305 which is medium sized (depending on your definition). The floor is a bit lower then my Streeter kart stand and I just drop the kart in the back. The rear door opening is a bit over 54" wide so I can leave the wheels on. The kart stand gets loaded through the side door and sits in front of the kart. Here are a couple pictures:
IMG_0197 IMG_0225

7 Likes

Amazon.com. I think the lights where $15

1 Like

Any idea of the height of your vans floor? I’m trying build a platform in my trailer and trying to determine what height would be ideal to easily put the kart on and off with my Streeter.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I’ve actually never heard of an E-305, but the fact your (senior?) kart fits between the rear wheel wells looks convenient. Most of my options, Hyundai iLoad/Renault Trafic etc., have a 1281mm-wide space between those wells. So I’m thinking to make a wood platform just higher than my trolley so I can roll my chassis into and out of the van without having to disassemble parts. Because CBF after a club day. One question, do the barn doors ever get in the way?

Sorry, that was a typo. Its a 2008 model E-350. I originally bought it for towing a trailer and as storage space and now its mainly a toy hauler.

The doors have to be fully opened because otherwise they severely limit the opening. The doorframe itself is just shy of 54.5". I run my wheels just shy of that width so I dont have to pull them off. The wheel wells look to be right at 53"

Floor hight looks to be ~29.5". And here is the kart on its stand for reference:

1 Like

After making modifications to my open trailer setup which worked great, I was able to find a 5x8” trailer that had a 56” opening to fit the kart. With my small SUV I am limited to what it could pull so a drop axle trailer works perfect.

To make some room for storage, I built a platform to hold the kart off the ground. The Streeter stand fits under perfect and puts the kart on and off with ease.

Here is the work in progress

4 Likes

new to the forum. I have a 5x8 enclosed with barn doors that I’ve put into karting use. My sons champ kart or his road course kart use it on various nights.
I’d love a powered kart lifting stand but that isn’t in the cards at the moment. I did have some scrap lumber and pvc though.

We randomly use the trailer for other things, so full built in stuff isn’t practical. Wish it had a side door.
Added hooks to the door to hold a roll of wrenches. It’s situated so that it’s either metric or sae facing out depending on the night. The circle track kart used sae, where the road course one uses metric. Another holder on the door for sockets. Both come off the door for transit.
Made a wooden frame, which makes it easier to load the kart. Then I use it in the trailer to cradle the fuel and air tank. It in turn keeps the kart in place in the back. It can be used as a stand in pinch and a table. It’s a lot more useful than I imagined. Also added a sliding pvc frame. Often it’s fairly tight in the pits and an ezup doesn’t quite work. So the frame has legs I can put in it, and tarp over the top for shade and rain. When the ez up fits, then it just attaches to the ez up for extra shade etc.
Debating adding some industrial rollers on the wood frame to make it even easier to slide the kart in and out, and maybe even some small caster on one side. That way I can put it on various sides for different tasks. Certainly looks homemade, but it does the trick.

1 Like

7 x 12 Neo all aluminum. Really like not having to duck when walking in and out through the ramp door.

Are those the Craftsman stack & lock tool bins? I picked up several a few weeks ago. They are perfect for organizing everything and less cumbersome that a traditional Toolbox. Comes in several options. Drawers, hardware bins, small chests and they stack up locking on top of each other to a base on wheels with a telescoping handle. Mix and match to suit your needs. I love those things!!

1 Like

Agree 100%!!
I’ve done the heavy upper tool chest and multiple tote thing. I’m 53 and just not doing that kind of lifting and more. Had also done the roller tool chest when trailer with a friend years ago, that was fine. But we ran four karts out of a very large trailer.

The Craftsman are perfect. Module, can be moved easy with the two wheel lower cart. Individual unit can be unlocked/unstacked and moved with ease. Very happy with the system, and the cost is reasonable.

Dan how do you like towing with the CX—9? I was contemplating leasing one for my wife and wondered if it’d pull the kart trailer at highway speeds without issue.

It’s actually a CX5, with a tow limit of 1800lbs. My dry weight of the trailer is 1250lbs and loaded I’m guessing about 1700lbs.
I don’t tow this trailer/vehicle combo at great distance, living in Elkhart Lake and racing at Road America I’m only going about 3 miles.
I definitely know the trailer is there… I’ve taking on the highway, not bad, but I would not use my CX5 if heading to a CES event. I get a buddy to come along and help for the weekend that has a truck.

The CX9 I believe has a little higher towing capabilities.Like 3500lbs.

1 Like

Put these in one of the other threads but never here.

6x12 single axle
Fully insulated
White vinyl walls and ceiling
LED lighting package
15,000 BTU A/C unit with heat
Electric package with 2 outlets
Harbor freight 3500 generator
Harbor freight compressor
Lowe’s garage wall cabinet.
24” LCD TV ( needs to be bigger already) unlimited data
Harbor freight tool kart.
Travel fridge
Queen size mattress.

7 Likes

That looks meticulously, F1 level clean!