Interesting fitness data from a session of sim racing

After a lot of research on the iRacing forums I ended up getting:

This Amp
And this Power Supply
I went with this PS/Amp combo because it provides 4 output channels, which you need to get true wheel-specific vibrations to go two the shakers (LF, RF, LR, & RR) are separate ‘audio’ channels.
I also went with the larger Aura Shakers

Finally, you’ll need an audio adapter to send the signals from iRacing to your PS/Amp. I read that adding another sound ‘card’ to your computer could be problematic and the card having decent drivers for Windows 10 can be a crap shoot, so I went with a usb audio adapter.

For software, I went with SimHub. I tried a couple of other software programs (including SimXperience), but I found SimHub to be the most powerful and flexible option for me. BTW, it’s got a cool feature that lets you ‘record’ the data for a lap (or however long you want to drive), and then you can play that back as you mess with the shaker parameters.

You’ll also need speaker wire, and you’ll need two (3.5mm male stereo to two male RCA jack) cables to connect the sound adapter to the AMP’s four inputs.

Fair warning, expect some head scratching, and frustration when first trying to get everything to work together. My issues were related to where to connect the audio inputs to the USB adapter (the info I found online was not correct), so I just ended up trying different input jacks. Also the USB adapter’s software configuration settings were a bit of a challenge (it’s a combination of getting it right in the Windows sound settings AND in the software utility that comes with the usb adapter. That said, once you get it figured out, then you can start with setting up your shaker profiles ins the software.

This is from a double night stint in the iracing nurburgring 24hr.
Felt i was cruising, not taking any chances etc, but i guess the anxiety level was high lol!

iRacing’s tyre model gives me fever dreams. At any moment you could be going backwards into the tyre wall for no reason.

The new NTM7 tire model is a nice upgrade, but only available in some cars for the moment. Makes the Skippy and Mazdas a lot more chuckable without going over the harsh limit and dying.

The Porsche RSR was the worst car I’ve ever driven on a simulator. Managed to find a set up eventually but it was a slog getting there. If it was an AC or rF2 mod it would get three downloads and forgotten about.

I had planned on doing the le man 24hr, but not now,the tyre model imo needs a ground up rebuild. The slow stuff iRacing has always been OK, but anything quick it’s a disaster area for me. Considering the cost I won’t touch iRacing again for a while.

At first I absolutely hated the RSR on iRacing. It seemed like driving on marbles all the time and nearly impossible to catch if you got oversteer. But now that our team engineer has come up with a few setups for a few tracks (perk of being on a team) and it’s a 100% different car. Hell, I even got a setup from one of the factory Porsche guys and the car was still borderline driveable compared to our engineer’s setup. Lap time wise it was comparable but it was much harder to get it. It’s really frustrating that a setup is THAT important to even be able to drive. But once you have a good one, it’s oh so sweet.

Very interesting thread, I too have a Garmin - never thought to keep it on sim driving. I’ll try it :grin:

Seems there are quite a few of us on iRacing? I just started couple of weeks back. Got out of Miata rookies in 4 races and jumped into skippy series at week 7. Done four races, into top split. Best result last night P5 after a pit lane start but then did a pirouette (great recovery :rofl:) on the penultimate lap and lost fifth trying to not get together with the guy coming at me from P6, lost three places. Still finished P8.

Perhaps we should start a Kartpulse Team??

1 Like

Dammit im in if transpires