Is GTD the equivalent to 206 . .

Shifter speed differential would be to high in my opinion.

206, 100, 125.

On my home track 206 35 sec lap, 100 31.5, 125 30.7 or so. Practice days the running joke are that 4 strokes are rolling cones to navigate.

To put the speed of the cars into perspective, at Petit last year the pole lap times in qualifying were:

Weathertech:
GTD 1:18.843; avg mph 115.977
GTLM 1:15.226; 121.553
LMP3 1:15.664; 120.849
LMP2 1:12.229; 126.597
DPI 1:08.678; 133.142

Support:
GS 1:25.922; 106.421
992 CUP 1:20.678; 113.339
MX5 1:35.390; 95.858

Recent spins and crashes . . .

…almost like 206 racing vs shifter kart racing

to be honest some of the shifter races are very competitive even more than some lo206 races.

206 is definitely MX-5 Cup. Touring car would be KA/100cc, GT would be like a X30, and prototype would be shifter.

To be fair, shifter is more competitive, but the racing is closer in 206. You rarely see more than 2 or 3 kart battles in shifter or prototype, while a big 206 field will bring 4-5 kart battles or more.

i agree with that ive had some insane briggs races where theres like a 10 kart lead pack but the shifters also have big battles because you can send it from so far back.

Maybe a similar topic from a while ago: "Miata" Horsepower for Karts

Pretty cool finish . . .

The back of the Pfaff car looked pretty used. I didn’t get a picture of the front but both cars had some serious battle scars.

The reason this isn’t doable is because for this type of racing to function you need at least 2 hour race, otherwise what you get is sprint racing and that would be carnage as the leaders starting to catch the lapped traffic.

So that means racing a KZ for hour+ stints and that sounds like torture to me. :joy:

The two Porsches battling looks like a kart race. Lots of tippy-taps.

@tjkoyen @speedcraft

What’s your opinion on the finish? It occurred to me that the LMP car that decided to draft these guys was being careless.

Why? Last lap, two cars in a different class are battling hard in front of you.

Why would you choose to put yourself in the way of their inevitable spin/crash?

What am I missing here, gents?

7 months later…

The LMP didn’t crash so I’m not sure what the critique is? He appears to see the battle happening and gives them a few car lengths.

The two Porsches tangle and the car behind them has to avoid and loses pace badly.

Just curious as this seemed to be an unnecessary risk. Was wondering if there was some reason he’d choose to expose himself to that risk, given that he’s not racing the gt cars.

LMP has to bail out left.

Dom just won the lottery and he and Nick are going LMP racing next season. :grin:

I think the guy was just in a tough position… can’t really just park the car. If you watch the straight leading into the chicane he kinda drafted up behind the battle somewhat, and then held station (didn’t close anymore). Also when they got to the braking zone he braked way early to generate an even larger gap to the cage match. All good, but they kicked up so much dirt/etc. he got hosed because even though he couldn’t see, he was in a good spot to get bye, BUT the guy in the blue Porsche didn’t hold the brakes and rolled right into his path; forcing him into the runoff.

2 Likes

Looked like we gave ample space to the battling cars and was able to avoid the wreck pretty easily. That’s what that run-off area is for. I didn’t see any other LMPs around so he probably didn’t lose any position off of it.

First, it would be one assumption to assume the two Porsches are going to wreck. You can’t really just lift and coast and leave a straight of gap in the assumption that will happen. I imagine leaving an even larger gap by lifting and riding around further behind would be an even bigger time loss than any that he had by taking the run-off. And then secondly it would be basically impossible to predict where, when, and how big the incident will be and leave gap accordingly.

Seems he played it as well as anyone could’ve. He rolled up on the battle, thought he might be able to overtake, realized they were scraping, backed off a bit, and then avoided it. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think in this case, you kind of can. The two cars had been swapping places aggressively and using the car to push. Both make intentional and repeated contact (in a fair way) that could easily go wrong if someone has an unexpected input.

The LMP upon further inspection, did have another LMP about 10 lengths back. So yeah maybe that’s what made him feel like he needed to be on the rear of the guy ahead.

The statute of limitations applies, but this eluded me last time. Color me curious I guess.

I think that was a DPi, so I don’t think that was for position.

But yeah, I think he did a good enough job coming into the bus stop to give just enough room to keep from running into the wreck.

1 Like

I would disagree. There is no way to know the two cars ahead were banging bumpers prior to arriving on their tales. Sure, we saw it thanks to the magic of television and multiple camera angles around the track, but from a driver’s perspective he just rolled up on another pack of lap traffic.

Secondly, LMP cars are similar to F1 cars in that their biggest advantages are power to weight and down force. If they get stuck behind a battle, they lose speed and down force then have to wait for straight to wiz by. Timing it right is not always easy and that is the intended challenge of having multiple classes on track at the same time. I’ve seen LMP and DPT cars blow the doors off GT cars in long sweepers and flowing sections only to be held up in the tight and twisty bits.