Kart Chassis List and Links to Setup Guides

Thanks TJ. I had no idea you did this. Nice job.

Also

Do not confuse lift with grip. Drivers often refer to karts as having “too much grip” or “not enough grip”.
In reality, a kart with “too much grip” actually has a case of “not enough lift”. The feeling of ”too much grip” occurs when the inside rear wheel is not lifting off the track >for whatever reason. It is important to differentiate the two

This, so much this!

2 Likes

I know anything from OTK, Kosmic, Exprit, FA (Alonso), and RedSpeed are all the same as far as I’m aware, and old Trulli karts when they were a thing. Praga, OK1, and Formula K should all be the same as well, except apparently steering geometry is different?? Idk about that last piece though. Arrow and Deadly kart are the same supposedly as well. Not sure about any other companies

1 Like

Yeah the overlap in designs seems to be a hot topic. Especially with so few actual manufacturers of chassis. They do have different lines and frames they make of course, but the lines between facts and embellsihement are a bit blurred at times.

Some folks might say a DR is a CRG in red :blush:
Back when Kosmic came out in the 90’s it was supposedly “A tonykart with softer metal”
Etc etc.
One thing that’s always been interesting about OTK is their axle reccomendations are opposite to others.

I think I remember hearing it’s because the chassis is softer than the axle on the Tony Karts, as opposed to the axle being softer than the chassis. It might be backwards, and I’m sure Koyen can clarify but that’s what I remember. I think Arrow is the same way according to a driver from the Badger Club

1 Like

Yeah that’s been my theory. I have zero hard evidence supporting that though. Just speculation based on testing.

The function of the axle and chassis stiffness should be the same from kart to kart though. If the kart isn’t lifting enough, something is too stiff somewhere, whether it’s the actual frame or axle. Stiffness has to be removed from one or the other. Or better traction on the outside tire has to be achieved. It’s up to the driver/tuner to determine whether that means going stiffer or softer on the axle.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: How do I go about getting more Jacking/lift

Link for IPK Setup guide is obsolete.
I couldnt find it on manufacturers web-page or other places.

1 Like

Most current version as far as I’m aware

Regarding the axle section of IPK setup sheet, it’s my understanding the RGF axle is also referred to as the “MR” or “Medium Race” stiffness. Some of the IPK info I’ve seen has it listed as one step stiffer than the Medium, but others list it as one step softer. Does anyone know which is correct?

Thanks

I believe they are different axles. However it seems they both fall into the category of medium-soft.

IPK is obsolete… Can tell because I own one…

That a pretty sweeping statement. Can you elaborate on that?

That would explain my two year long confusion then…lol

I wouldn’t believe that. Formula K just won the opening round in ROK Shifter at Pompano, won ROK Vegas, and took third at SKUSA SuperNats against the best drivers in the world. I’m not sure why you’d say they’re obsolete. They’re still probably the sixth or seventh largest kart manufacturer out there.

1 Like

TJ, Liked this a lot and thinking how the IR lifts is probably the best concept to understand how to tune a kart. Do you think that your write-up on Merlin generally would apply to an OTK kart?

1 Like

I’m glad you liked the guide, but I’m almost considering taking it down, as both Jamie at Franklin and I noted quite a few things are out of date in it and not accurate anymore.

I would say the concepts of how a kart “works” can apply to 99% of kart brands. How you tune the kart to get it there might vary pretty heavily brand to brand though (soft axle to free rear end on Kart A vs. hard axle to free rear end on Kart B aka OTK for example). But generally, you’re shooting for the same endzone no matter what kart you’re on, and things like caster and track widths are pretty universal in how they affect the kart, though maybe to varying degrees depending on the design of the chassis.

2 Likes

Maybe he meant the guide is obsolete :man_shrugging:

Hi, Has anyone tried this app?

After producing your original setup guide as well as the video on setup and reflecting on it for awhile I’m sure you could make a pretty through document. I keep the old J3 Kosmic setup guide in my binder as a quick reference, not sure if all the advice given is still valid at this point.

do you know a base setup for ipk praga kart 2020 model junior 125

1 Like