Kart open trailer ideas

Good afternoon all,
Hope everyone is save and just waiting for some sort of season to start. Just got a used open 5X8 mesh floor trailer with ramp to transport my kart to the track, and looking for ideas and suggestions on what to add to make it more efficient. Photos along with suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks for the help.

1 Like

We’ve used an open trailer for about 4 years. Works great. The only downside is when it rains in the way to or from the track. If that happens it requires a little extra work to dry and lubricate the karts. Here are some pics

How much does the trailer and karts/equipment weigh all together you think? I’m still pulling with a Ford Focus right now (yes, we can chuckle at the sight) but if I can avoid investing in a truck & trailer, I can put the money elsewhere.

Here are some ballpark weights:
My kart with motor around 170lbs (no lead on kart)
Single kart stand around 45lbs, stacker stand maybe 70lbs
Air compressor around 40lbs
Tools weight would vary
Plus weight of the trailer

For what it’s worth, if I had a light mesh floor trailer and just 1 kart, I would feel comfortable pulling it with my VW Jetta (if it had a hitch setup).

I am curious to see how the Stahl family fares in their new karts. Soon.

You should have no problem towing with the focus. I tow with a Prius without much issue. I used to tow a bigger trailer with a 91 Volvo 740 Wagon (non turbo).

1 Like

1 Like

You might find some ideas here as well:

Not sure if helpful but I came across a post of some guy trying to get rid of a 14x7 trailer for basically free. It’s in Nj, and could be bs. It’s in Facebook marketplace, farmingdale, nj.

@StahlRacing I might try to emulate your setup. It looks like a 6x8 utility trailer with a ramp? I’m thinking 5x8 so it fits easier in my garage. Which double kart stand are you using, with what sized karts? Can you just roll it up the ramp, or is it too steep?

2 Likes

Like the bottom pic. Saturday AM.

Beautiful pic. Looks like you got it on a 4x8 harbor freight-style trailer? Did you add the rails to protect your side pods from rubbing the fender? I’m considering a trailer with karts double-stacked, thought I’d need a 5x8 but it looks like it might work.

It’s a 4x8 I bought for $50! I added some side paneling which Ive since removed a section as my side pods were rubbing against it.

To secure the kart I drilled holes where the front and rear bumper sits. From there I stick 3 U Bolts through the drilled holes with butterfly nuts to secure the U Bolts. No more straps! Kart doesn’t move one bit! While it’s not in the picture On the front section I place a large plastic utility plastic container that’s also bolted to the trailer to throw the majority of my tools and gear and off I go! Easy Peezy! Next mod is to fasten some PVC pipes on one side to secure a tarp for some shade!

I like you idea about not using the tie downs as it seems a little overdone by most people that I see. I was going to suggest using a snowmobile tie down. I use one on my sons kart and have never had an issue. I shortened it a bit but just screw it down across the back of the frame. The metal plate in the picture mounts to the floor of your trailer.

1 Like