Kart Suits: Budget vs. Expensive

Or, if you are me, the opposite is true. Show up in jeans and jacket and it doesn’t look so bad when you run 17th… Do that with $10k in custom gear and people start to question your priorities. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel like I’ll be the negative person here, but…

Jeans are pretty good in most cases, but a windbreaker will typically melt to your skin in an abrasion style accident. And that is not fun to remove.

That’s correct from memory. FIA Level 1 and 2 homologations on kart suits specify the duration a suit is able to withstand contact/abrasion, with Level 2 being able to hold it for a fraction longer.

I wanted to round back and do a quick review of the Sparco Kerb I recently puchased, and I really thank you guys who pointed me in that direction because its a fantastic suit for the money. It feels great and it wasn’t super hot like I was concerned about in the Florida heat and humidity.

One thing I did notice (rather quickly) was where the white fabric is located on the suit, and the proximity to the Lo206 chain, the right side of the suit showed grease stains within a few minutes. Not a super huge deal, but I though it was worth mentioning if that is something that concerns you.

I did spend another $85 for some custom embrodery, but the final product was worth every penny. Very happy with the quality v. price of this suit; so thanks guys!

2 Likes

A little Molecule Spot Cleaner on that white fabric and it’ll be good as new.

2 Likes

At the noobs risk of sounding total red neck… carhart jacket ?

Note redneck is actually not a bad term. Coalminers fighting for thier rights and all that . :grinning:

Although after 17 years of dirt bike racing… I’m underwhelmed by a certain lack of safety…
In suits. But hard asphalt vs. dirt , not much comparison. Nonetheless, it bothers me .
I still have a Brown spot on my foot where a root punctured my boots… so close to a vein…

Carhart jacket would probably be thick enough to provide protection… but… unsuited to task. How you gonna sit comfortably with a bulky jacket? Wouldn’t it get in the way of being properly seated?

If not an issue, could be a solution until you get a suit or abrasion outfit.

Maybe there’s used moto stuff that would work.
I seem to recall a photo of a certain young Irish racer wearing full leathers in the 90s.

A Carhartt jacket is at least $100 and as Dom said it isn’t going to be really comfy sitting in the seat in such a bulky jacket. Might as well spend the extra hundred and buy a real suit. Also the jacket probably would get pretty damn hot, given it’s a coat meant to keep you warm.

1 Like

A leather bike RR suit is certainly a superior protection option, but then you’re dealing with heat & rib vest & seat fitment issues due to its bulk.

how about 3 years of grease stains…?

I’m sure if you use 3 years of Molecule you could make it look good again.

I sell Molecule btw. :man_shrugging:

As others have said they are a bit bulky.

But it generally comes down to what material they are made of. Jeans are good because it’s tightly woven cotton, so they will rip eventually but they are strong. Polyester on the other hand will rip and melt pretty easily in an abrasion event.

Leathers are good too, i’ve worn them for long circuit racing and they are sort of shaped to a driving position anyway. You can sometimes pick up a second hand set for not too much. You want to aim for a thickness over 1.2mm to give you enough material.

do you have a friends and family discount…?

Ok on not carhart lol. It was a fleeting thought ,did not know they were that expensive!

I still like to wear my 10 year old Simpson karting jacket with jeans and Piloti Prototipo casual driving shoes on practice days and keep my nice OMP Tony Kart suit and Alpinstars kart racing boots for race days to keep it real and remember my roots.

1 Like

Oddly I have a Brazilian suit, too (lico). Got it super cheap on ebay fr a close out. Like 60 bucks. Was first suit.

Nik, in your opinion, what is the best material for a kart suit? One that offers the best combination of abrasion resistance and protection while not being too bulky and/or uncomfortable on hot days?

Until recently, I thought all kart suits were one version or another of cordura.

Thanks.

Paul

@Paul_Montopoli put a link in another thread to this team… is it just me or are their suits/gloves very well priced?

Why do so many suits have white on them? It’s almost like these suitmakers have no idea how a racing kart works.