Kart Suits: Budget vs. Expensive

Level 2 are invariably different thicknesses of Cordura. There might be other stuff out there but I haven’t seen it yet.

Level 1 I think is sometimes cotton, and it feels like thin jeans.

1 Like

I guess it helps in hot climates. I am looking at going with a new suit thats all black, is it a bad idea? Obviously it helps with the grease but is it worth the added heat on sunny days?

If you live in Liverpool, I suspects black will not be too hot during the summer.

I’ll bring this back up because it pertains to my current situation…I’m too fat for my lovely sparco x-lite suite and have regressed to jeans and K1 jacket but feel like I should probably find a suit as a substitute for now as my journey to getting back in my nice suit is going to take a few months at this point.

I’m happy with the sparco fit and considering the Kerb (discussed quite a bit here) vs. the Thunder suit as my path forward. Anyone with experience with the Thunder as it compares to the Kerb? I’m struggling to pull apart the difference between them on specs alone.

Andy have you considered a two piece?

Realistically a full suit isn’t necessary. My pal Tanguy used to wear an abrasion resistant race coat and then jeans. I have a similar item from Jim Hall and use it occasionally when going rental racing.

1 Like

Haven’t used it yet, but the Thunder suit I got recently is pretty nice, at least as quality as my Shift Apex, which is really nice.

I’m actually a big fan of three pieces these days

I think this is TJ in the way-back machine wearing jeans and a kart jacket.

1 Like

All of these recent questions on gear has me thinking someone needs to start putting together review videos…
puppet-awkward
(looks over at my pile of suits, gloves, and shoes) It really is hard to find good info on racing gear let alone karting gear. Maybe if I get a free moment I might do a quick video review on some of my gear over the years.

You might even earn a few cents from YouTube.

:joy: me after 1k views.

2 Likes

I be wearing the thin jeans, no belt, no shirt and an the cheap Ikart “windbreaker” all in the name of trying to save a few grams… Also minimal graphics etc… lol

I do love seeing all the custom suits behind me :wink: haha

3 Likes

This was a corporate outing for my team when I worked at Trek and it was on rentals so I didn’t bring all my gear.

I much prefer a full suit. Also very weird that you posted this photo, as I think it was brought up on my Facebook memories today but I didn’t share it… eerie

Wellp you posted it in 2018 in the my ride thread!

Italian motors has some really inexpensive kart suits. I think the MIR 10 is pretty lightweight.
MIR 10 Racing Suit - ON SALE!!! 75% OFF!! | Italian Motors USA LLC

but…

Hey I’m not knocking it, the fastest two dudes I’ve ever seen, one in jeans and jacket. The other one in a full race suit.

Both these dudes are STUPID fast and are 100% to be one podium ANYWHERE they run.

Personally speaking, I have yet to see these guy run against each other. But when they do, it’ll spectctual to watch! #CKNA South

I’d swear these Lo206 motors are built by Redbull (J/K). These two are in a class of their own. (Cline vs. Baron)

Suit vs. No Suit

No suit is kinda at the edge of the no suit game… I mean his jacket is cool as heck and matches his helmet and livery. His jeans make a statement and complete the look. Which, I think, is quite a success.

Thats a smoking deal.

Has anyone tried the custom suits offered by https://urace.us/?

Paul Montopoli introduced the website to us a while back and they offer a basic custom suit for $250, while not cheap, it is very reasonable for getting a custom fit.

1 Like

i’ve only had one suit, it was team supplied so i don’t know the manufacturer. i felt like Matthew Modine in Visionquest, trying to cut weight for the district finals. nice looking suit, but just wayyyyy too hot. i’m currently rocking team levi strauss on bottom, racequip jacket on top. if i do decide to get an actual suit, i’ll refer back to this thread.

1 Like