Karting Memes and Funnies

Tbf, you can output 21-23hp from the 270cc and near 30hp from the 390cc with the correct mods

I like that idea to a point as the longevity and cost to keep these older motors running and competitive can get expensive too, and…can you find parts?

1 Like

I 100% about the funding model of proper multi-manufacturer racing. Single-spec racing has killed off the ‘professional’ karter in many respects. I really dislike it at a fundemental level, and its getting worse as I get older. I spend a lot of time reading old karting magazines and the breadth of culture the sport once had was really a different level for me.

However, engine disparity is not necessarily a bad thing given the right context because it creates narrative. F1 dominates the motorsport landscape and probably is the most disparity based series in the world. Karting isn’t a great spectator sport partially because of a focus on ‘close-racing’. I don’t think close racing sells the sport to people otherwise it’d be the biggest motorsport on the planet. What sells views is compelling and meaningful racing imo

For example if you have a big disparity early season, but a tuner figures something out with a manufacturer and pull its back… now you’ve got something to follow. if a driver manages to win on some junk, or let’s say podium… now you’ve got something to follow. Senna/Toleman, Vettel/Torro Rosso etc… However, the nature of karting and the way they are constructed means hero stories are very rare and unlikely.

So I think the pursuit of ‘close racing’ might be counter to worthwhile viewing. For sure, I agree that technical regulations should be simple, so simple, that’s why I am a oldskool 100cc guy, but at the same time it’s all a balance.

Me in heat 4 of the enduro :grimacing:
If we had podiumed I would’ve had to credit the flagger with my success in my podium speech

2 Likes

I’ve heard of 25hp world formulas, nearly double the original output

@Alan_Dove sincr you have always been an outspoken fan of the technical/developmental side of f1, I would assume you find stuff like Pike’s Peak unlimited class interesting.

What’s your other favorite racing series/format that fit that niche of “finding a technological edge” racing?

Sometimes it doesn’t even matter how interesting something is to watch to get big views. Soap box derby in its early years would pull over 100,000 spectators to the world championship.
Begs the question what brings spectators?

Not really. I like a season long battle. Something with narrative that ebbs and flows. I do LIKE Pikes Peak as an event though.

That’s the million dollar question.

look away

5 Likes

I think it’s gotta be an event. It needs to be about everything but the race itself. A party where a race breaks out. I think whether the race is good or bad is irrelevant. But I think karting puts on a better show than most racing disciplines so in that regard we’ve got nothing to worry about.

But I don’t think the actual race makes a difference in the draw one bit. For better and for worse.

3 Likes

I had mentioned a few years ago that a major karting series needs to coordinate a race with something like Gridlife, combining a car/lifestyle festival atmosphere with a kart race. Would be the right crowd to go after.

I proposed this to some series but I don’t think anyone knew where to start.

2 Likes

I was noticing in the pictures of New Spa that the readers were sharing, that they appear to be in an area where there’s a bunch of food and drink stands, etc. Looks like you can have a good time just chilling and the racing is sort of in the background, if you wish. Rooftop restaurant overlooking the main straight down to the iconic turn is dope. I am sure its 25 bucks a beer, tho!

I don’t expect that sort of thing at a karting event but it would be nice to have a social reason to go to a big race. I haven’t been to Nats or anything, so I guess a big event might be different than what I have seen. Gonna be a hard sell to have parents and friends come watch without some sort of concessions/rest area.

Personally, I dig it when there’s a food truck at a race event. They did that a few times at OVRP and it was a nice thing.

Yes and all the team merch stands are there also. Spa is an awesome gp to go to, everyone just takes a tent and a bbq.

1 Like

Start by talking to gridlife.

They were pretty receptive to the concept when I spoke with them a few years ago. Logistics, execution etc would have to be figured out. Likely would have to be a location with a separate kart track.

But the guys were open to doing something at Gingerman at the time. This was about 2017ish.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty dank meme.

2 Likes

I amused myself doing the cutout, glad you enjoy it. It’s a bit nonsensical but I had fun

iOS 16 has built in cutout ability (requires iPhone 8 or higher alas).

“TJ Fkn Koyen, Supernats Taco Truck Edition”

I’ll work on that idea. :thinking:

@KartingIsLife here ya go…

4 Likes