Learning how to diagnose tires

what would you recommend for a set up change? When they were new I didnt feel much of that and the kart felt perfect but as they wore I got more understeer in the highspeed turns. track is X1 boston outdoors and nhms sprint

Widening the front a small spacer each side might do the trick.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I’ve seen it used at the world championship level where a driver will run relatively slowly for a the first half of the race and then come back through to win when everyone else’s tires go off.

For most club or regional level racers this isn’t a problem as the tires are resilient enough.

2 Likes

YLC BRIDGESTONE all around. All are brand new and replaced at the same time. Front aligned with snipers. Even though aligned properly with snipers, kart still pulls left when driving. The wear shown happened only after a few miles of driving. Kart frame is vintage emmick racing kart. Rear tires are evenly worn and doesn’t show any pathologies.

Whoa.

Really odd that it is aligned correctly on the Snipers, because that looks like extreme negative camber/toe-out. Frame bent somewhere possibly?

Weird thing is looking at the contact patch area between the ground and the tire, that worn edge doesn’t touch the ground. I had flipped the rear left tire on its rim because I noticed the rotation direction was off, but I already put maybe 30 mi on all tires so far. Would flipping this rear tire that have been driven already in one direction alter the handling/geometries?

Camber according to the snipers were within one cube on the sniper grid. Toe settings are within one square on the grid too. But at this “correct” settings, the kart does pull left. And this issue only started after I switched the rear tires. The fronts were already switched just shortly before I switched the rears. I only started experiencing the pull to the left issue when I put on new rears. When I had new front tires but the old “YHC” rear bridgestone, the kart drove straight.

Brand and size are the same as the old tires, just went from YHC to YLC compound type.

What does the front right tire look like? Judging by the dimples in the left front tire the tire was well worn out in general by only so much more on the inner side due to negative camber.

These were my old left side tires I replaced. It worn down close to the middle. Overall tire wore down even across the width of the tire. No slanting.

No uneven side wear and it drove straight with the correct sniper settings.

How is the right sides wearing compared to the lefts?

On the old tires it’s pretty much the same. Just haven’t exposed the chords yet. As for the new tires, the front right is exhibiting the same aggressive negative camber wear as seen on the left. But it hasn’t worn down the the chords yet. Running my fingers across the width of the tire, I can clearly feel it’s worn down on the inner edge, just like the left side.

Not a tire expert by any means but to me it just seems like you wore the tires out due to driving. The left front may have worn a little quicker due to the configuration of the track. Is this a hard or soft tire?

Yeah I agree with the aggressive inner tire wear. It’s weird how only changing the rear tires can cause this much uneven wear when all other kart settings haven’t been changed. Kart wasn’t crashed either. I mainly ride around my neighborhood for fun, so I’m not track racing it either. But I’m not sure if flipping the rear left tire after it’s been driven in one direction have any effect?

1 Like

YHC is 48 on duro rating, according to Bridgestone. So I think it’s medium hardness?

The wear happened extremely fast. I noticed it just after one quick 5mi ride.

Ahh now i see, this isnt being used on track tarmac which easily affects the tire wear that much more. Im led to believe the aggressive terrain of the roads you’re on are chewing up your tires.

Are you driving on literal 80 sandpaper? That tire wear is insane for that many miles. These tires go hundreds of laps on tracks, without getting close to the cords, even on old abrasive asphalt. I can’t even imagine what kind of surface you’re driving on!

Flipping the tire after it’s been driven in one direction CAN have an effect, but usually isn’t really an issue I’ve found.

1 Like

Here are some pics of my sniper alignment settings. I think it’s pretty good settings. Close to zero toe and just under 2 degree negative camber on one side. It’s a vintage emmick kart so I don’t know if camber is adjustable. I don’t see anyway to adjust it on the kingpin

The camber is a little more negative than I would usually see, but I wouldn’t think it would shred the tire like that from that. I’m sort of out of ideas on this one, sorry.

Could be from flipping the tire or could be a bad tire.

Hi guys what do you think ?
Racing in the Caribbean so the air temp is 32-36c
Track temp guessing 90-100c
Thanks Any imput will be greatly appreciated!
MG reds
brigs class
lo206 engine
weight 364 lbs
08 Birel
Asphalt track
10 psi front & rear