Learning how to diagnose tires

Super smooth tires like that usually indicate super low grip track surface. It’s basically sanding the surface of the tire, almost polishing it.

10 psi seems pretty low that type of track. I wouldn’t be afraid to pump those up into the 15 range even and see what that does. On the low grip surface, typically it’s hard to generate tire temp, so running higher pressures can help get heat into the tires.

2 Likes

Polished looking. Really even wear on edge. I’m curious to see what the others say. There’s no visible grain but maybe camera shake?

1 Like

No your right. no visible grain, surface is like 220 grit sand paper ,

little feather on the inside front edges

Not having any real recent experience, I’m thinking that’s a lot of tire, and a lot of tread width, and a lot of kart width for that class of engine. That’s a lot of kart for that class of engine. I agree on the pressure suggestion. From the pictures, it’s hard to tell, but it doesn’t look to me like the tires are even being stressed. Way too much tire for the speeds you are experiencing.

1 Like

Here in Texas I race in pretty similar conditions but on a low grip concrete track and I tend to see that same almost sandpaper like surface on the tires.

I have found that raising the tire pressures tend to help the kart not only handle better but also last better over the course of a run.

1 Like

Thanks. As for adjusting the camber, is my kart camber not able to be adjusted? I don’t see anyway of altering it.

Would running a harder compound make the tire last longer?

Harder compound will last longer. Camber is usually adjusted with an eccentric spacer or pill on top of the yoke. I don’t see a way for you to adjust that given how old the kart is.

Thanks guys for the advise I will try the 15psi and see what happens :+1:t3: Much appreciated will let you know how we go ! Oh here is a pic of the kart

1 Like

what tracks do you run at in WA? Starting in 2020 also racing in WA

2 Likes

I run mostly in the South Eastern Zone, Kalgoorlie, Esperance, Lake King, Albany.
I’ve raced at some of the Metro tracks, but havn’t been up north at all, something planned for the future.

They are certainly becoming more affordable and easy to use. Mychron has an expansion kit for $500: https://www.accelerationkarting.com/mychronkarttiretemperaturesensorkit.html

2 Likes

Those look pretty good. Slight graining in front but nothing too bad.

Hey guys I’m having trouble deciding when I should use cold vs hot pressures in between runs. How long after a run should I wait before using cold specs? or below what degree should I use cold psi #s or above what temp should I use hot psi numbers?

1 Like

Don’t overthink it. I set cold pressures on the grid or on the kart stand just before we go out each session. The tires should have plenty of time to return to ambient temp between runs.

1 Like

Tire: vega fh blue 12psi

Looking for a little guidance on set up, I’m having a lose/ oversteer on exit under power issue on a new to me x30 powerd 2014 racer evk, Making it hard to apply throttle early out of corners. I’m new to karting so I’m not very experienced judging tracks but my local track is what I would consider very low grip has little to no rubber buildup and has been sealed with a sealer which I believe may contribute to low grip. I’m not 100% sure whether the kart is flat sliding or if I am getting lift and overworking outside tire. kart rear track width is just under 1390 front has 15mm+5 mm spacer on spindle. tillet t11t mounted to otk specs for my hieght (175cm) I am fairly heavy about 210 lbs also( haven’t been on the scale in a few years so not exactly sure) 1mm combined toe out, was previously above 2mm and the change to 1 seemed to help. Everything else is standard otk setup. I was thinking about raising rear ride hieght or removing the extra 5 mm spacers on the spindles or removing some Castor since the steering is very heavy to me and I’m getting worn out after about 8-10 laps not sure witch direction to go. Thanks

The wear is definitely indicative of a low-grip track. They’re sanded smooth, so the tire really isn’t biting into the surface of the track. Given that, it’s probably unlikely you’re overworking the tire and lifting the inside wheel excessively.

Your neutral setup is the correct starting point, so that’s good. Unfortunately, the heavy steering is going to be something you’ll have to get used to, as to get the kart to turn in those conditions you’re going to probably need more caster or front width. It’s likely your oversteer is more a condition of not having enough rear grip rather than having too much front grip.

A couple quick things you can try would be increasing the caster to get the tires to work a little harder and dig into the track surface, narrowing rear track width to help get sidebite, or playing with some wonky tire pressures. On very low-grip surfaces, tire pressure can make a huge difference. I’m not familiar with the Vega Blue specifically, but a quick Google says 8.5 psi is their recommended pressure. You said you’re already well above that at 12 psi, but it isn’t uncommon to run very high pressures in these conditions to generate core tire temp and get the tire to actually heat up and work a bit. On freshly paved tracks, we’ve run double what our normal pressures would be, and it has worked very well. I wouldn’t be afraid to keep bumping the pressures up 1-2 psi at a time and see if it improves at all.

2 Likes

Ok thank you for your input @tjkoyen, much appreciated. So if I have an 1 extra gold 5mm spacer on the outside of the front hubs I can add that to the inside of the hubs to gain that 5mm width per side correct?

Make sure you are resting arms on straight away to avoid arm fatigue

1 Like

Thanks, track has shorter straight a ways but I’ll try to be sure I do