Learning how to diagnose tires

Correct. (20 characters)

1 Like

What do you guys think of these!?
Left sides looked the exact same

This and a heat gun is what you need.
Request “Nine Sheets” from [email protected]

Looks grained, so sliding. Lack of grip probably this early in the year on a green track. The rear tires look like they were flipped?

They were all flipped lol, i bought a used set of aluminum wheels i plan on using for the rain. They came with some decent ylcs on them so i stuck them on my mags for practice. The rear end was hopping and the front was sliding. Would adding caster fix it? Im using neutral pills at the moment

Usually the front sliding and the back-end hopping are contradicting symptoms. The rear typically hops from too much weight transfer. If you are getting too much weight transfer, you have too much front end jacking. Also odd that you’d have hopping right now since there’s no grip on the track.

If that’s really the case, it’s probably a case of overdriving the kart pretty heavily. If you are driving it aggressively, you will overload the front tires and then load the kart up too hard and cause it to hop. The fronts don’t actually look as bad as the rears.

I’m not saying I don’t believe your diagnosis, but the tire wear shows sliding, especially in the rear. What track is it?

1 Like

Im trying to upload a video from my gopro to show you. The rear did slide but it also hopped on exit. I am guilty of being an aggressive driver on entry, i try to get everything i can on the straights. The track is Ceraland Park in Columbus indiana. I dont actually race there they just happened to have the park open and i had the itch to drive. I race at whitleland raceway park. The kart handles basically the same at both places though

Yeah video is probably necessary.

My thought is the hopping feeling is stemming from a rough track or from the kart being six kinds of sideways at apex.

1 Like

Here is a short clip

Way too much steering input. Gotta slow the hands down on entry and then see what the kart is really doing. When you have a couple smoother entries the kart doesn’t look too bad.

1 Like

Thank you Tj, I’ll work on it whenever the track reopens!

Being familiar with Ceraland, my feedback is that you’re totally overdriving just about every corner. Not only may this be the cause of the handling issues, but it’s certainly costing you time. Ceraland is such a flowly track that you really need to be smooth with your movements, and be patient throughout the entire first half of the corner. The second part of the chicane is a perfect example, as the kart shouldn’t be washing out mid corner the way it is in your video.

What engine package are you running? I can see you’re on a Margay, and would recommend that you double check everything is set up to the factory recommended specifications, seat position included.

1 Like

Norberg’s recent video had a gem in it. He gave a simple tip that I find helpful. He said something to the effect of, if you find yourself wide of the apex, brake a little earlier.

Pushing too hard is something we all do, especially so when we are new to this. Feels pretty good, and sometimes looks pretty good, but it’s invariably slow.

Worry less about being fast into the turn, be fast out of it, instead.

Try a few laps where you deliberately under drive the entry, trying to get on throttle well before apex. But the moment you are off brakes, get into gas, even a tiny amount. Build throttle as you finish your turn-in and keep building as you head past apex and out.

See where accelerating through the turn takes you. Adjust as you mess around to find an exit that feels fast and hooked up. Get the exit right and your entry will take care of itself.

I think if you do this, you’ll start to feel the sequence of inputs and forces, and how they are meant to be. Your driving will be smoother. You’ll probably start to feel the flow of the track. Inputs will be more connected, etc.

Gotta remember that these things are tricycles. Jacking and fixed axle make turning a bit different than cars. Smooth is better. Tip it over, don’t slam it.

1 Like

The biggest mistake I see most drivers make is simply not hitting their marks. Get that cleaned up and you’ll gain boatloads of time in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Its a Yamaha can, Its setup to margay factory specs including the seat. The kart is a 2006 but comet said the frame is in great shape and has minimal wear, which i find surprising since i have raced this kart on and off since 2011. I Havent been able to scale it yet with everything going on. Thank you for the feedbacl man i appreciate it, definitely going to work on slowing down when the season starts.

Thank you Dom! This might be the best advice ive been given. Im gonna print your comment out and tape it to the tool box :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wether it’s good advice remains to be seen! :grinning:
But, I hope it’s productive for you.
-Dom

1 Like

I would appreciate some thoughts on these Lecont whites. I had a alignment done before practice as per CRG KT2 specs 2mm positive camber and two per side. The track does have a lot more left hand turns than right but my front left tire isnt rolling in the rubber a lot at all compared to all the other CRG’s i had.You can even see the front left also isnt wearing the outer edge of the tire at all even after many session. I am being told its normal…
Times are slower too but the kart feels OK. Any thought? I will be using new MG yellows next time out though. Cheers!
20200503_162600|375x500

That looks pretty normal to me, wear wise. The texture looks normal. I used to drive whites. The front outside edge seems a little too far in

1 Like