Let's talk about Seat Position

You’ll need it higher. Even I, at 5’7", mount it higher than OTK recommends. We have it about parallel with the bottom of the rail.

Otherwise, set it where they recommend. Adjust the height as needed. We used to calculate the center of gravity when I was about that size, and set the seat so the CoG was always the same. Probably a little overkill.

You could put some foam padding in the seat to get you higher up for now if you don’t feel like moving the seat all the time.

1 Like

Do you remember how to calc the CoG height? I recall something about raising the front x amount, measuring the change in weight on the rear scales, then running a calculation of some sort.

I don’t recall, but sounds like you’re on the right track.

Probably something to do with angles and numbers and that whole sine, cosine, and tangent thing.

http://dksracing.com.au/2013/06/cog-calculations/

3 Likes

Before Supernats I switched from a Tillett T12 to a much softer Imaf F6 silver. I mounted it in the same position, at the top of the rails. I didn’t have any time in the kart for about 2 months before the race, so I went there with out any idea of what the kart would feel like. I think I’m finally on the right track of having the kart work like a kart. I even experienced two wheels for the first time ever in that super grippy turn one on Sunday. I could also feel the kart jacking and flexing around me a bit for the first time. Unfortunately, not being used to that I think I had a tendency to over react.

I also found that I needed to just quit trying to make the kart fit me using the factory pedal mounts. I just can’t reach them properly and trying to stretch out or hold my self in place wasn’t working for me, and I don’t feel that the bolt on pedal extenders are a good long term solution. I always joke that I need a 1010mm shifter :stuck_out_tongue:

On my old intrepid I used some Wldkart pedal mounts that bolted to the floor pan. There were two issues with them and they were both the reason I tried to not use them again: my legs were always on the tie rods, and the Intrepid/Praga floor plan is fairly narrow.

I’m also a big fan of 3D printing and attempted to design a solution. It worked ok but I just couldn’t get back far enough to make it work.

So I’ve spent part of the day installing the IPK pedal mounts on my Praga. I still need to make a new brake rod and add a throttle spring but these things are pretty nice.

I’m not joking when I say I have no legs :laughing:

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see some photos of you in the kart. I’d like to see how your position has changed, since you’ve raised the seat and put those pedal risers in.

First picture is the seat mounted to factory specs. Second is raised. Notice how my feet are stretched out. Third pic is my intrepid last year. Seat is mounted to factory specs but I did have the pedals moved back.

1 Like

This might be a stupid question, because honestly I haven’t thought it all the way through at 12:30am, but does the weight balance change at all when you move your body weight “up” like that?

I’m probably going to wake up and think that this is the dumbest post ever :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s actually a good question. I haven’t thought about it, but my first thought would be that the balance wouldn’t change as you move vertically, although the amount the kart flexes would almost definitely change (although you already knew that).

However as I put more thought into it I could see how when raising the seat you may shifting mass longitudinally to reach the pedals and steering wheel the same way again. It’d be interesting to see an actual scale measurement change before and after that.

Maybe TJ or someone who’s looked at seat height has checked that out before.

I haven’t scaled the kart to find out. I need to do that some time.

I’d love to know what you find out. I mean technically, I feel like raising you up shouldn’t affect the balance left to right that much, but who knows?

When I mounted it, I placed it at factory specs, marked that location for reference, and then stuck a 2x6 underneath it. I imagine if there is any change at all, its due to me pulling my legs back, but at the same time the IPK pedal mounts weigh 4 lbs total so maybe it offset that.

2 Likes

I’m having an annoying seating issue.

I like that plastic Tillet seat. I find it very comfortable and could drive on it all day. My SH has it and my Lo206 Corsa HAD it, until I gave it to my buddy so he could put it on his JollyKart TAG.

Now, I’ve bought a new fiberglass seat, sized large just like the plastic Tillet. It fits me right, but it leaves too much wiggle room for my torso, so my upper body is not supported in corners and I have to do most of the “hold in place” work using my arms and shoulders. In retrospect, perhaps that was always an issue and I just noticed that now because the seat is stiffer.

Is there any solution to this? Would padding the seat on the sides work? Anyone has any experience with this Tillet Ribcage thing?

This EKartingNews post (last post of the page) pretty much describes my issue. Ass fits well on the seat, but torso moves around. I guess it will work!

http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?t=15929&sid=e27eacac3b72c4926c36f828c081c862

Being small, I’ve always had to pad my seats, and especially after injuring my ribs over and over for years.

My favorite filler padding is the foam interlocking flooring mats you can buy at Walmart:

Cut some of that up and fit it wherever you need.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for my new dayglo green seat pads!

I think the kart seats are designed these days assuming you’re wearing a good inch of rib protector.

So maybe get a rib protector, I would highly recommend the bengio.

2 Likes

I’ll give that a shot too.

Personally, I don’t recommend driving a kart without a rib projector. I never get into a race kart without one.

1 Like

Been doing that for years.

…Then last Saturday heard a very audible “pop” coming from my right side, and it wasn’t the 206 backfiring.

1 Like