LO206 to IAME X-30

We always have used distilled water with Maxima Cool-Aide in all our water cooled stuff.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about water wetter unless you’re struggling to keep water temps under 130-140. We rarely ran it except in extreme heat conditions, but we also had a large rad on most of the time.

1 Like

Yeah about that, this cannot be right. On my second voyage, all my sensor are new. Need to figure out why this new set up is reading so far out in left field. Everyone at the track was like, “That ain’t right.” But nobody could help me cause they’re on Micron and know nothing about Alfano . . .

What’s wrong with it?

Its meassuring EGT, but my water temp is nowhere to be found? I’m new to all this, I assume both temps would be represented.

Does it display while running?

That’s just the best lap recall. Hit ok and you can get into the data screens.

1 Like

Let me do some checking. During the race, all I can remember seeing is the exhaust temps.

Ok, you can create custom displays:

I’m pretty sure by default that they show both.

1 Like

Welcome to the club! A little hip padding will help, but body conditioning will help more. It gets better. Wielding that monster around takes a lot out of you. If you find yourself feeling like you are struggling to keep you butt planted in the seat, you may need find a snugger fitting seat or a Deep Seat.

After getting more Kart Fit, I found I had to drop a seat size. I was moving around too much in the seat and was spending more energy just trying to hang on than actually drive.

Was able to play with the Alfano, determined during yesterdays session the exhaust temps were in the 1,070’s and water temp maxed out at 119 degrees f.

Is that an exceptable/ safe range?

+1 on the deepseat. That made a big difference in my life. Its comfy!

I have always been told between 125F and 140F was a good working range for water temps. Also when it comes to additives, always refer to track rules. NTK does not allow any additives and all of the builders around here specify distilled water.

As for exhaust temps, its not so about the number as it is tuning to a peak value. As you close the needle, it will peak out then drop. At that point you open the needle back to its peak. From what I can tell every sensor and gauge combination read slightly differently, so as long as you compare to data from your setup you should be fine. Also ambient air temp and density will affect your readings, but tuning to peak typically accounts for that.

For water temps you should check the minimum and average as well: IAME suggests minimum 113F so 119F maximum may be a bit too low.

Generally to be on the safe side I stay around 125-135F peaking at 140F.

Is that why I see people using tape over their radiators or other sort of shielding from the wind?

Yep, exactly, several pieces means you can allow for higher temps a bit at a time.

I much prefer the IAME inline thermostat to any other method of adjusting the temperature. It’s automatic, for one, which means that you won’t get into a race and forget to open it. For another, it makes warmup on the stand very rapid - usually less than 5 minutes.

Another question on axle length . . .

At the last local I was running 49 inches (old 206 set up) and it didn’t dawn on me to look at that for X-30. I was talking to fast guy and he said I should be alot wider than what I was running. Any sugguestions? I think on my current cut axle, I go as wide as maybe 53 inches?

Do you think they meant actual axle length, or track width? Let’s confirm that first.

I’m assuming (maybe incorrectly) track width? Rim edge to rim edge.