LO206 to IAME X-30

Yeah you’d probably be closer to the max of 140CM with a TaG (55.25"?)
49 sounds very narrow so I wasn’t sure if that was a track width, or axle length dimension.
Someone smarter than me will chime in…

But on track width, my rule of thumb for grippier/more powerful classes is run max width on the rear and tune everything around that… Unless you have a very green or wet track.

1 Like

Okay (rabit hole question) I’m on a Swift M20 medium axle, is that a good axle for X-30? Keep in mind my axle was cut for 206, so if I’m going to have to buy a new one anyway . . . hence the question.

That axle should be fine for TaG. You may have to shave 10 mm off each side depending on your hub and wheel combo. Since 55.25" is the max you want to be able to narrow it some for tuning. Personally, I want to be able to narrow to at least 54 for my KA.

Set your rear track width to 1390mm (54 3/4”) and leave it for now. That’s baseline for 90% of 2-stroke karts.

4 Likes

^^^This.

The Swift M20 will work just fine for the TB chassis, as it’s pretty close to the standard axle. Having it cut down shouldn’t be a problem. When you have a chance, pull the hubs off and measure the axle length. 1020-1030mm is usually standard for the single-speed categories, and cut axles are usually 980-1000mm. If shorter than 980 then you may have trouble running the proper width and keeping enough hub on the axle.

2 Likes

Feel free to flame the hell out me, I deserve it. :rofl:

2 Likes

Appreciate you posting this @IRQVET ! Are we waiting on YouTube to finish rendering, for better quality?

I was impressed by your throttle application, being it was your first time out in X30. I expected to see a lot more snap oversteer mid-corner.

And 29 was in a KA, yeah? Is this a mixed 2-stroke class?

Big ups for racing an unfamiliar engine. I think it shows your experience with 206 has made you a really smooth and refined driver. I can imagine with more practice and testing with the X30, things will slow down and you’ll be up to speed soon.

1 Like

Nah, no flames deserved. It wasn’t that bad! Seems about right for first time…

“Whoa this keeps pulling”
“Whoa this is tiring”

Appreciate the kind words. I hope the vid quality gets better with YT rending, cause none of my other videos are that bad.

Its an air cooled 125cc Easykart class, with two of us on X-30 mixed in. The other X-30 driver was a no-show last weekend, so it was just me out there with the Easykarts. Its a Easykart/ Birel dealer, so 95% of them are on some sort of a Birel chassis. I think the only people who ain’t is me in the TB Kart and another guy on an OTK chassis.

I’d like to think my time in 206 helped, but I’m not 100% sure. Between the power delivery and knowing when to brake, how deep to brake, and when I can roll the power back on was really messing with me. On some corners I felt like I’d apply the power to late into the corner and lose time. Other times I’d apply it too early and brake the tires loose on exit. (NEVER has this particular issue in 206, lol) It was a real head scratcher for me. This thing has so much more power than I’m used to, and also makes me appreciate the 2 stroke guy that make things look so smooth/easy. The corners we’re coming at me much faster than anticipated so it was a challenge to set yourself up on the right racing line. Especially when I was guessing on what each racing line was suppose to be.

Overall, a learning experience. But dang its alot of fun.

3 Likes

Grip level has a lot to do with when you brake and accelerate. Since tracks are always evolving, you have to play with points as you go. Understandably in a 2 stroke, things are coming at you much faster and that narrows your window of execution. Just keep pushing the braking zone until you blow the corner, then back it up a hair. Get the kart rotated and once you square up for the exit, get back on the power. Depending on your exit speed, you may have to roll the throttle more or less to get the power down. Go back and watch Ryan Norberg’s video on braking.

1 Like

Another caveat to add, the entire field is on MG Yellows. I’m still on an old set of Vega reds. My logic was I wanted to practice and pound laps and use up my old tires before throwing on a new/ correct set for the class. Obviously this didn’t happen when I did not practice and just jumped into the race; still on an older set of Vega Reds. I know I didn’t do myself any favors in that arena. I am curious to see how the yellow behave, as I never run them before.

I know new VEGA reds are sticky but I think the MG yellows are even grippier but they do wear out faster.

With the 206 you have to be smooth and want to keep the kart steady with both steering and throttle/brakes. In the higher HP classes you can be more aggressive in all those respects as you have the power to recover that isn’t there in 206. As mentioned by others go as fast as you can till teh kart says to fast.

My Experience with MG yellows, which while talking with other drivers seems to be the same is that they are great for the first 30-40 laps then they hit a brick wall and fall off the side of Everest. I’ve had times where I’ve put on a new set in the morning for practice, done about 30 laps in 10-minute increments then gone out for a fourth time and by the end of the session, I feel like I’m driving a completely different kart. Granted we switched to Levantos over a year ago so I don’t know if mg changed their design of the yellow but that is just my experience.