Mychron 5 data for noobs

I’ll check it out. I wish I was allowed a helmet mounted camera

The smartycam, while so convenient, is a hard pill to swallow for the price. It’s really old tech, now.

I’m a big supporter of data analysis and it can help troubleshoot both tuning and driving issues but there is no substitute for racing. Each time you run, you’ll likely get better and move up the grid racing better drivers. You will see the deficiencies in you or your kart and make improvements.

To set a reference, I’m older (70 YO), experienced, decently consistent and a tad off the fast guys in Masters (+30 YO).

At the track, I find the Time Compare graph and Split Time the most useful. I look at Split Time Best Lap (Rolling or Best) and Composite Lap Time. On long runs, 10 laps or more, I think the Composite Lap Time + tenth or two gives me an idea of what a good driver could do in the kart, just remember to throw out bad runs. This analysis kinda of answers the question; Is it the kart or the driver? In other words, if the composite lap time compared to your best lap time is greater than 3 tenths or 4 tenths, get back in the kart and drive more. Likely it’s driving, if the kart was set up properly.

If you go through the spilt time data, you can see where you are not doing well or did very well, as the standard deviation will be big. You can work on these sectors, next time out. This needs to be tempered by throwing out laps or sections that you screwed up on or were slowed down for some artificial reason.

Also, I think there are different processes and analysis for after the race/practice day and at the race track.

1 Like

@E13, I know this thread is a bit old, but I came across a YouTube video that would definitely be worth the 12 +/- minuets required to watch it (The full video is 20 min, but the first 8.5 or so is about setting up iRacing and the data software).

Anyway, the guy is using iRacing data for the demonstration, BUT his knowledge comes from being a very good IRL driver (the first US Formula 4 champion in 2016, and 2021 Euroformula Open champion in Europe.

1 Like