New CIK/FIA class, OK-N

Sorry by fault i meant the junior CIK class, cant remember the name of it, but my point was that the classes are getting faster and is that quality or just bling?

Yes it is, but Rotax is not fault free either, but they have some really good things going, and benefitted hugely by the KF engines being a disarster.

OKJ probably. 125cc 28-30hp

No, thats whats they are running now, back In the day the senior class had around 31-33hp, the junior was 100cc and pistonport.

ICA-J then I guess :grin:

46 posts were split to a new topic: Adoption of OK-N In the US

Now that two organizations have offered support for OK-N in 2023, I’ve split the topic up to focus on the adoption of this in the US. I’ll admit the split is less than perfect with how general discussion on the concept went, but it is what it is.

By all means we can always kick of topics for other areas too. But for now, since most of the discussion has be US… we’ll start there.

I agree with this. Unfortunately in North America all the series don’t just want entry fees but they also want the profits from tires, engine importing etc. I think the sport would be much healthier if promotors stuck to promoting races, the ASN’s stuck to enforcing rules and class structures and teams stuck to developing drivers and making karts go fast. Switching to multi-manufacturer engine classes (such as OK-N) would allow the teams, engine builders or drivers to pick which engine they run instead of being forced into something by the series they are close too.

The sealed engine formula has only for years benefitted the biggest or richest teams/engine builders by buying parts in bulk and building just a few rocket ships from hundreds or thousands of parts and thus enriched the series promotors by creating an arms race.

Unfortunately it’s not really feasible to put on events on the entry fees alone, especially with how niche the sport is and more so with the expectation of drivers of having live video coverage.

With memories of drivers bringing 11+ engines to an event in FA\FSA classes very clear in my mind, I’m not buying the argument that spec series awards larger budgets any more than non spec, provided there is a certain amount of parity in the base product. IAME and Vortex’s products seem to fit that bill, and Rotax have improved since the adoption of the EVO. You can’t stop people spending money, but you can bring the pack closer together through rulesets and parity.

Where multi racing hits a wall in the US is customer support. The support relies on disparate, spread out boutique shops that are really not equipped or able to give the support, nor can they justify the cost of holding inventory. Similar story with KZ. Indy engine builders become importers for some of the lesser known brands and it turns into a diluted mess. I don’t mean that as an affront to engine builders or importers, what I’m getting at is that the market in the US is just not in a position to provide a good support model for multiple brands. As it is it seems to struggle with handful that are in common use already.

It is feasible and profitable, many do it here in the UK (we benefit from higher population density and a ton of tracks tho). Being the importer AND championship organiser however makes is VERY profitable :slight_smile:

I’m speaking to the US which I think is what I was responding to as well.

I’m in Canada but I believe the Canadian and US issues are very similar except we don’t even get live streams. I never said costs would be lower, but at least with OK-N no one is hiding behind some false promise of equality and cost savings, it’d probably be the same cost now with OK-N compared to X30 and ROK.

All we are talking about is distributing the wealth as right now promotors get entry fees, tires and engines. In an OK-N scenario they still get 2/3 and then allow each team or engine builder a bit of help by being able to be a direct importer of engines or at least giving them a choice of importer to partner with.

While I agree philosophically about hiding behind false promises of equality and cost savings … the FIA are promoting the OK-N category along the lines of ‘cost-savings’ and ‘parity’… which I believe to be a fundamental error on their part. but we’ll see. If you’re marketing material says low costs and parity, then naturally people will look at Rotax and X30 and go “well… that seems to do it better”

"n order to simplify technical inspections as much as possible and to avoid
disparities, preparation of the OK-N engine is only allowed within the limits
of the homologation form and the technical regulations."

"Accessibility is also measured in financial terms. Without
an arms race, the investment to race in OK-N remains
extremely affordable."

I really feel the CIK-FIA should use the Trophy Academy instead of the OKJ-OK-OKN. Give up the multiple engine suppliers, use one chassis brand per class.
Make KZ the premier constructor category.

Relative to what? OK-?

You can’t destroy 60+ years of history, that would be tragic, and self-desecration. Unthinkable in my view.

I think the FIA just need a better marketing department or maybe just selling the commercial rights to someone like me :slight_smile:

I understand that but at some point they need to lower the cost anyway. And multiple engine providers already went under like Maxter

You don’t lower the cost by destroying the championship and point of the FIA. Because you ahven’t dropped costs… you’ve just destroyed something that actually represents one of the FIA’s longest running World Championship contests.

The costs are a problem but they are largely a function of F1, not so much the equipment itself, though that does play a part (i.e KF and complexity). If the FIA said “if you race karts you’re banned from F1” costs would drop 80% over night. So maybe that is what needs looking at.

The FIA just need better people involved. It’s as simple as that. It’s complex I won’t lie, but I can’t stand for desecration of karting.

Is it really the desecration of Karting though?

To me CIK\FIA represents a small segment (Although very visible) of the sport overall, even in Europe?
I think it’s pretty clear that the intention of CIK\FIA’s program is to feed FIA funnel with drivers. That emphasis has reduced the broader influence it had on karting through ASNs that was prevalent prior to the 00’s.

(Although it’s fair to say that the chassis specs are essentially 100% adopted across the world, even if the chassis themselves are not homologated with CIK\FIA.)

In my mind I’ve compartmentalized CIK\FIA as being focused primarily on feeding that funnel of racers, so I’m not expecting them to change their focus. I’m open to correction, but it seems like we’re kinda barking up the wrong tree as the saying goes.

I think it’s up to the other segments of the sport to promote themselves.