New CIK/FIA class, OK-N

Well you’re losing about .8 per lap on weight alone to the senior OK. 1000rpm less and no power is maybe another second or there or thereabouts I’d take a total guess at.

Delta to an OK engine in Franciacorta, on the same tires was 1.5 seconds ( OK @145 kg and OKN @155 kg)

This puts the package approximately 1.2 / 1.5 seconds faster than an X30, all things similar

1 Like

OK Snr fastest final lap at Euros - 47.4
X30 Italian Series - 49.6 - (IAME SERIES ITALY - RND 5 - Franciacorta (BS) Results)

1.5 off is roughly 49.0 is it not? that’s .6 faster than X30 was doing last year at their Italian Champs round. If X30 was on same tyres and rubber as OK maybe that’d get a smidgen closer (or not. I understand some drivers really don’t like the MGs). Of course the OKs are full works outfits too.

Given that they tested at PFI, any idea about top and min speeds? Mph?

Was testing at Franciorta, not PFi.

Ah ok thx. Never mind since I’ve never been.

I think Franciacorta is quite peculiar as its a very “flowy” track. The gap we had seen in 7 Laghi (first closed door test, in March) was much bigger (in the region of 1.5 seconds, as stated), given the more “stop-go” nature of the track.

Delta time in Lonato, between X30 and OK Senior is in the region of 3 seconds, from memory, for example.

1 Like

Also i think Travis’ best lap was 48.8, so you’re on the money.

1 Like

2.4 from the data I can find.

Vroom’s thoughts. Always bothers me when people don’t put their name to an article. Maybe it’s just me.

https://www.vroomkart.com/survey-okn-and-the-short-blanket

2 Likes

I think its slowly beginning to get to the ASN`s, Cik and manufactors that they need to look at whats working In Rotax and X30 classes, and that the karts really are getting to fast, i know by fact that they are looking at reducing the 60cc catagory, and what i Can read here the OKJ is going In the same direction. But knowing CIK and been In this sport for 20 years i will not hold my breath

Quick reminder that critical analysis is encouraged but disparaging comments are not.

Carry on :slight_smile:

Independent of the article, i’m quite curious about the little survey they are running at the end of it. Hopefully they do publish the results

1 Like

I guess my biggest concern is that there’s no way to weigh the feedback. I could fill it out, but I’m an unlikely candidate for the class.

hhmm… I am not so sure about that if you expand beyond just competitors. As a ‘media’ person the FIA would very much like you as a cheerleader for it, so your opinion does matter. They use ‘back to the roots’ language that really only a few of us really understand any more. As someone well versed in that kind of vernacular you have an influential part to play.

1 Like

I was just thinking from my perspective as a driver. The engine seems neat, but the class is probably not on my radar anytime soon.

These sort of classes very much need the attention of people like yourself though. They need cheerleaders essentially to translate why these types of classes are even a thing. That’s where the value comes from.

You’ve been a cheerleader for the 100cc revival since the beginning. Without that kind of enthusiasm from multiple people (who might not even race it any more) then it doesn’t happen.

You saying “engine is neat but not on my radar” is an issue for the concept. If it isn’t capturing the minds of those who understand it then the FIA and co have problems.

1 Like

The 175 Codasur gets me excited :grin:

But then again, apparently some folks feel karting is getting too fast according to the Vroom article?

Not sure I agree there, even in junior classes the JICA class went a fair clip.

The karts are getting fast, In our local track the 60cc is faster then ICA was when that was running. OK is very close to KZ.
If CIK want to appeal to the “normal/national level” karter then speed will need to get down a bit, i think one of the reasons is safety. There are two ways to do this, harder tyres and engine power.
Like it or not, but faster means more exspensive, and exspensive means you need a very rich dad to pay for it.
Is OKN the cure i really dont know, but if they make sure you Can use one engine In both Junior and Senior, with only a restrictor In the exhaust and have a 6 year homologation, AND get it to last a reasneble amount of hours, then CIK might for the first time In years have something.

1 Like

I wished CIK-FIA would go the “Simpler is better” path, go back to aircooled 100/125cc direct drive, 1 engine per season sealed