Newest Outdoor Tracks in the US?

Bushnell in Central Florida.
Opened last year I believe . . . only track I know of with an overpass.

2 Likes

Im going to meet RJ Valentine soon, maybe I can ask him some questions

Found this. Their rental karts seem a bit goofy, but it looks like fun. Also, can you only pass where there are dashed lines like IRL?

Zwartkops in SA has a tunnel:

Indoor/Rental overpasses are super common:

• United Karting near Baltimore opened 3-4 years ago.

• New York Race Complex repaved and improved ca. 4 years ago

• Lafayette repaved and improved ca. 2 years ago.

• Cincinnati - not sure how new it is but I never heard of it prior to last year

• Mont-Tremblant completely new probably just about 10 years ago

These are the ones that immediately jump to mind.

2 Likes

I know your right, but I have never run an indoor track, so I never consider them a quote unquote “race track.” I know they are, but not in the traditional sense (at least in my mind). But to keep things in perspective, I’ve never lived in area where they were needed like in states that get snow throughout the year. I went from living in California to Florida, so all I know is that kind of year round weather. Its either sunny and we can run, or it raining and we cannot, lol.

Oh yeah. I think the overpassy stuff is pretty recent on rentals, too. The indoor stuff built in the last 15 years or so seems super engineered and really modern, like the bottom track I posted. I kinda see it as “efficient use of space” and rollercoastery in intent.

It’s funny, though, as entertaining as these complex tracks are, I just really like a simple strip of asphalt, winding its way through a field, somewhere.

That being said, this is something I must experience:

Given the number of spun karts, it must be hard to drive under disco lights.

1 Like

Disco lights!? WTF over :rofl:

San Antonio Karting Complex just opened a few months ago. https://sakcfun.com/

2 Likes

This is in progress!

Is it still happening? The ranch next door seemed especially unhappy.

1 Like

It was approved, I’ll have to check it out next trip to Pueblo.

1 Like

Given that this 2021 imagery still looks like only the initial grading ever was completed, and the lack of any hits on searches (other than a removed FB page), I’d have to guess that nothing has happened. Shame, it would fit good with the tourist nature of that area and would probably seem inexpensive compared to the Royal Gouge attraction.

Yeah I don’t see how the RV resort to the west could have been made happy.

I feel their pain though as I’m going through the same process on a smaller scale. Ideally I’d like to grab 20 acres+ and use under 10 of it as a neighborhood buffer.

I’m determined to not end up with something way out from the cities though. Half the reason I’m building it is so I don’t have to travel as far :laughing:

1 Like

I suppose this is why so many rental places are indoors these days. I do hope that as we move away from ICE that they figure out a good form of e-karting for racing indoors. The current karts just aren’t race-y.

That’s exactly it. Electric makes it easier to move closer to cities…… and real estate in those places is getting cheaper thanks to COVID accelerated mass exodus in shopping malls etc.

Plus it’s electric is more corporate friendly as most people don’t like to smell like an engine when they leave. Suits (if provided) stay clean for longer. Staff don’t have to breath fumes. You don’t need as much ventilation etc etc.

Maybe I should just go electric, indoor, on ice and dirt :joy:

1 Like

We will know electric is for racing when SWS goes electric.

1 Like

SIMA in Sumas, WA is planning a facility expansion in the relatively near future. If they manage to get everything they have planned done, it is going to take an already amazing facility and make it even better. The only thing I wish they would do is add lights for night racing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

SIMA was originally open until sunset back when it started up, but the locals complained. The odd thing is, you can’t actually hear anything much out across SR9, where the neighborhoods are. But I guess that’s relative. Some people are just more easily & readily agitated.

The expansion will bring the track out to a full mile+ when completed.

2 Likes

Bingo. Is the perception that’s the problem a lot of the time.

Granted, it’s been a few months, but on my way back from Crested Butte in December the track looked like it was mostly made. Just looked like it needed the infrastructure built.