Off topic: 2020 Formula 1 season discussion

Wow. Well that was unexpected! (Italian GP).

1 Like

Today’s race was amazing. Super fun to watch. I’ll hold off on spoilers for a little bit. But that was amazing to watch.

3 Likes

Best in a very long time

1 Like

“Best in a very long time”? Why the best? Because 3 also-rans were on the podium? Because the top 6 drivers in Formula One weren’t there? I’m glad to see those 3 drivers do well, but they were slow compared to the Mercedes. Arguably I know, but without others making a host of mistakes, the finish would most likely have been different.

I was only able to watch highlights but I think something unexpected like this is a positive. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen the whole shebang.

Spoilers incoming.

Because Lewis and company made a major error. And watching him come from 20 seconds behind the last car to work to 7th. Valterri lacking pace in the same car. Which everyone always argues Lewis only wins cause he’s in the best car. Bottas same car starting on front row and didn’t manage a podium.

Even without Lewis penalty gasly stood a solid chance to sit p2 as they got super lucky with a pit strategy.

Mcclaren showing huge pace. And would have likely ended up on the podium anyway.

Even as a Mercedes fan this was one of the most fun races to watch in a long time due to no other reason than there was racing from front to back.

2 Likes

That’s how sports work.

I’ll have the race on in the trailer next Sunday if you want to come down and watch.

2 Likes

No sh#% Sherlock :joy::joy:

I enjoyed it because it wasn’t the usual procession with Merc lapping 70% of the field. Last weeks race put me to sleep.

2 Likes

Watching post race Paddock Pass where they do after action short interviews with the drivers…

I found Lewis’s interview surprisingly likeable. He’s so confident he’s transcended confidence, I think. Today seemed confusing to him, a bit. Sometimes he comes off as very scripted and reserved, but here he was very human. You could tell he was a bit thrown by the day. He seemed to want to communicate and was rather unguarded.

Lando seemed rather frustrated. I expect big things from him next race.
Bottas: not happy. Shocked, baffled.
Riccardo: As always, silver linings and positivity. Seems like a happy guy. Safety cars don’t make him cry.

Overall, really interesting reactions brought out by an unexpected race.

3 Likes

LJ you make some good points. Its funny to listen to the announcers talk about getting a slip stream or aero toe, but then when another car get even close the the car in front its disturbed air holding him back.

You must be psychic not only has Gasley found his feet, he found the top of the podium!

1 Like

And we are in this position because we probably deserve to be. We are suffering, the whole team is suffering, and I am one part of the team. Everything happens for a reason, and we are slow for a reason. It is tough, and I am not the only one who is suffering. "
-Sebastian Vettel

Classy guy. Hope he finds a better seat. I’d follow his racing in whatever he chooses to land in.

3 Likes

Perez leaving Racing Point. Will we see Seb in Pink Mercedes next year?

Either will be Seb or Perez?

Vettel to Aston. I’m torn as a Seb fan and wanting to see him do well, but they really did Perez dirty after he’s supported that team since the force India days.

Hopefully Perez can find a seat, but I don’t want him taking Kimi’s seat as everyone is suggesting. Any F1 season without Kimi interviews and radio is lesser no doubt.

I do really like the idea of Alonso, Vettel, Danny Ric, and Kimi all battling in the mid field.

1 Like

Agree on Perez. He literally saved the team from its demise and then he gets kicked out without a back-up plan. I hope he lands at Haas to replace Grosjean and brings his huge sponsor money with him.

3 Likes

This is my exact hope. That he heads off to HAAS. Keeps him in the sport. The American team has potential. But without big money backing they will be on their back foot.

Really happy that Vettel landed somewhere and will have a competitive car. Sucks what happened to Perez, I am not a fan of him but mainly due to not being a fan of RP. That team just stinks of something bad. Its no wonder they are not well liked and will be interesting to see if this and there rebranding will change that black cloud.

Really enjoying Mugello. Finally a track without lots of added annoying chicanes. Flat out corner after corner in places - nice!

Yeap, should bring a few safety cars out.