Old School 100cc Megatopic

Iame TT36 FSA engines with 28mm Baroni slide carb

2 Likes

This is my 135cc TKM engine + 30mm tillotson carb
I just wanna drive this beast

2 Likes

Delicious aircooled stuff. You’re in good company here on the forums.

Some awesome shots from Hong Kong Kart GP 90/91 by Neil Mcauley

10 Likes

Those pictures are gold! Talking old school…how’s the spare part availability, especially for pistons? Is there any particular engine that has a good supply readily available? What about the Formula K 135cc platforms, are they rare or do you still find engines and parts?

There’s an issue with pistons because of supply change problems. We generally are OK with the reto stuff for the moment.

135s are rarer yeah. Tal-Ko were contracted to build some news ones 10 years ago. you can get spares on their website

Thanks! I recall there was a piston company out of Germany making a bunch of 100cc compatible pistons, at least until a couple of years ago but I lost track.

I may snatch an engine out of Italy soon, it’s too tempting. Problem in US is the chassis, hard to find as they mostly turned into backyard karts and demolished.

1 Like

Looking at this and some other videos, seems like the chassis really liked a forward center of mass, compared to current ones. I have a Birel chassis book I need to crack open to learn more about the topic, but feels like seats are placed further ahead compared to current designs. Is it chassis design only or a function of making the kart more “flickable” by taking grip out of the rear?

Ok I reached out to few contacts…I’ve already excluded few engines like a new in box Saetta SV21 and other collector pieces. Out of the more common and sensible choices that I can use without feeling guilty of crimes against the karting community, here is the list:

Parilla TT37
Rotax DSC
Pcr Tsv 95
FOX MCV 20 (95/97)

All fully rebuilt and low piston size. What would be your pick? I’m leaning towards the TT since it appears to be the most common and spare parts seem to be plenty, but I’m not an expert

I just sold a very nice TT37. Good engine

1 Like

@Alan_Dove

Check this listing. If I’m not mistaken, this might be a bit new for house of 100 but a DD nonetheless. At 1k with spares it seems intriguing.

It seems to me that this is a modern attempt at making an economical club type DD engine that evokes some of the spirit of the 89-91 era you love. I checked out your 2010 video of it and it seems like a hoot. Do they still race these or this class long gone? Seems a bit like the kt100 era here, fun 100cc club engine.

Piston ported engines are an amazing value. Still today. I’ve run a KPV on my wife’s kart for a while and I admit I stole it and used it “in secret” quite a few times.

This is a little summary from a US point of view: K P V while in Europe the main category was called JICA, has been a stepping stone into karting for decades and very viable platform today as a first kart

1 Like

That’s a BT82. The engine was first developed in 1982 :slight_smile: Not really my thing. It’s not really evoking the spirit as such because in 1988 when i t was introduced into the UK market by the ABkC and Tal-Ko as a spec-budget class (called 100UK back then and now known as Formula TKM. The increased engine capacity to 115 in the mid 2000s for the senior model) it heralded the end of the 100cc era for karting. Interestingly enough the class has it’s own retro-version now.

100cc, in the context we use it, generally refers to the CIK or CIK derived 100cc classes not these kind of motors. I know that’s confusing, but yeah that’s karting :slight_smile:

1 Like

well… hello there

1 Like

Tell us more. And why did it get sprayed with paint?

DSB ex-Peter de Bruijn. Spray will be for scrutineering reasons probably from back in the day :slight_smile:

I guess the tech went a little overboard, painted half the engine!

@Alan_Dove : what diameter chassis is the most commonly used? If I recall correctly most should be 30mm and 40mm axle. 28mm were uncommon, while if memory serves me well the esprit was 30mm with 32mm hoop and cross tube. Am I off?

I didn’t know, it’s now an official class of the ACI championship in Italy, called 100/125 legend.

Apparently, strong revival movement going on. The more I get into it and talk to some of the people involved, the more I realize we may have gotten it all wrong with TAG/4 stroke concept as means to save money.

Proof is in the pudding, so…expect a build thread in few weeks

3 Likes

It started here when we went over back in 2016 :slight_smile: Some amazing stories from that event

It’s less about money though with regard to its success, it’s mainly a cultural one. These karts just seem to provide people with more fulfillment on and off track.

1 Like

I totally agree, my point is also that you can get into a proper format, with a true racing engine that gives you a real experience, that is way faster than current entry level classes AND at a lower cost. So you can’t really go wrong from whatever angle you look at it. So if I had limited budget and serious intentions to learn and go fast, this would be the way. Europe vs US is a thing unfortunately, culture-wise.

Fun fact I still have to talk to anybody that disliked it. And yes, nobody mentioned cost in any conversation, just wanted to bring it up as another point. This is not a collector/super expensive elite type of category, it’s really accessible